ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jun 29, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #6,721 of 12,391
I don't always game, but when I do, I game with these:

1625004156656.png

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #6,723 of 12,391
I have a new server and streamer coming in, so I won’t need my Innuos Phoenix anymore. I previously had some Verite Closed headphones, but sold them. I’m sort of regretting that decision and want to try the VCs again.

The Innuos Phoenix USB is an amazing component. It costs $3499 new:

https://innuos.com/phoenix-usb/

If I wasn’t getting this new server and streamer, I’d definitely be keeping the Phoenix.

If anybody is interested in trading a stabilized set of VCs for the Innuos Phoenix USB, please message me :beerchug:

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #6,724 of 12,391
I have a new server and streamer coming in, so I won’t need my Innuos Phoenix anymore. I previously had some Verite Closed headphones, but sold them. I’m sort of regretting that decision and want to try the VCs again.

The Innuos Phoenix USB is an amazing component. It costs $3499 new:

https://innuos.com/phoenix-usb/

If I wasn’t getting this new server and streamer, I’d definitely be keeping the Phoenix.

If anybody is interested in trading a stabilized set of VCs for the Innuos Phoenix USB, please message me :beerchug:

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #6,725 of 12,391
Wow i checked out the link...quite impressive. I kind of threw out the reclocking approach after I finally found a USB cable that by itself outperformed an uptone Iso-regen and LPS 1.2. The Mad Scientest Black Magic sounded better without reclocking than with it, once broken in. I now have gone full tilt on USB cable with a Wywires diamond which is shockingly good and significantly better than their platinum, which I had for a short while.

This beastie is pricey but it looks beyond serious in the implementation of technology. Maybe one of these days. Want a triode headphone amp first though.

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #6,726 of 12,391
Anyone have any insight on whether or not it's a very bad idea to stick a ModMic base onto one of ZMF's wood headphones? I want to use my ModMic, but have always been paranoid about sticking the base onto wood headphones, so my Sextetts act as my special "I need better audio for this Zoom call" cans. @zach915m do you have any particular take on stickies on your work?

I've seen a couple headphones with the mod mic but I've never tried to remove one, so I am not sure what it would leave behind but it likely would remove some finish at the very least.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 30, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #6,727 of 12,391
Pad change!

Really thought the Auteur Hybrids were the way to go on my VC's. But saw an interesting post on the Headphone community and decided to order a pair of Auteur Lambskins. I have my Blackwood Auteurs running Perf Hybrids, may have to change them as well. Done a lot of retuning in my system and elimination of spurious noise, especially on the digital side. I have previously found Lambskins, at least perforated version to be a hint shouty on occasion and a touch thin in the mids; albeit a bit more lively and detailed with a hint more air and a touch more bass. Sound staging etc. pretty close.

My system has gotten substantially more musical over the last month as well as more detailed, dynamic and more tonally and harmonically balanced. So I figured after the
Headphone community post, why not. Pads, arrived quickly, got them today. Thanks Zach, who really in the industry is more service oriented than Zach and Bevin. Anyhow, Wow. A few hours of listening to a number of things has switched my preference on my Leopardwoods. The Auteur Lambskins are better. They are a hint less warm, more neutral, more harmonically correct and integrated top to bottom. Could really hear this on stringed instruments. There are more tonal variations in different voices and less of a general character on both male and female vocals. More personality and intonation shows up in each performance I listen to. Focus, layering and dimensionality are all slightly better. More air is quite nice and so they really show off ambiance of live performances especially my Blue Coast stuff. The extra kick and slightly increased extension in the bass are very welcome improvements and along with a bit more shimmer and vibrance, they really improve the VC's.

The Universe Lambskin actually sound quite good but to me don't sound nearly as balanced and of course don't throw as wide a stage. I do like their focus and clarity but I have managed to substantially improve that with cable changes and various system tweaks. Sound is better than ever.

LOVE these headphones!

Happy listening to all,

jgwtriode

Jun 30, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #6,728 of 12,391
Jun 30, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #6,729 of 12,391
Eh, that's a solution, but not a great one... can't use a combined headphone/mic cable with a desktop amp. I'll probably keep using the Sextetts for important Zoom calls.

It comes with a splitter so you can connect only the headphone to the amp. I'd use an extension for the mic side.

upqxlSG.png

Jun 30, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #6,730 of 12,391
I've removed Mod Mics from Hifiman Ananda, Audeze Penrose, and Sony XM3 headphones without issue to their plastic fantastic surfaces, but obviously the handcrafted wood ZMFs are a different proposition. Thinking along the same lines, I ordered the ZMF gaming cable-mic with my VC's. Ill provide an update when I receive the VC's. (Order date 5/14).

Jun 30, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #6,731 of 12,391
I've removed Mod Mics from Hifiman Ananda, Audeze Penrose, and Sony XM3 headphones without issue to their plastic fantastic surfaces, but obviously the handcrafted wood ZMFs are a different proposition. Thinking along the same lines, I ordered the ZMF gaming cable-mic with my VC's. Ill provide an update when I receive the VC's. (Order date 5/14).
Honestly I should have done the same, but it’s probably too late to get that as an upgrade cable for my VC.

Jun 30, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #6,732 of 12,391
Honestly I should have done the same, but it’s probably too late to get that as an upgrade cable for my VC.
Why do you say that? It looks like the gaming cable isn't offered as an option in the drop-down list for the upgrade cable when ordering VCs. I imagine it's likely for ZMF to have gaming cables in stock, and so long as your VCs haven't shipped yet and if you can contact them in time, you should be able to have them included in your shipped order.

Jul 3, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #6,733 of 12,391
Anyone have any insight on whether or not it's a very bad idea to stick a ModMic base onto one of ZMF's wood headphones? I want to use my ModMic, but have always been paranoid about sticking the base onto wood headphones, so my Sextetts act as my special "I need better audio for this Zoom call" cans. @zach915m do you have any particular take on stickies on your work?

I was worried about the same thing and ended up drawing up a piece that attaches to the cable. I don't have CAD skills, but sent it to a friend who printed this for me (more pictures of the part). Have been using it for roughly a year now with good results and no danger to the wood. This was a bit before the gaming cable came out, but that is probably a better alternative. I wouldn't get the Audeze one as their mini-XLR is rotated and the mic boom arm sticks out straight to the side instead of the front.
fjn97xe.jpg

Jul 4, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #6,734 of 12,391
I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on a monkey pod vc. I currently own a rebel amp hooked up to a hugo2. What easily obtainable amps/dacs that don’t cost a fortune go well with the vc. I’ve been considering other the vc or stellia for almost a year!

Jul 4, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #6,735 of 12,391
I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on a monkey pod vc. I currently own a rebel amp hooked up to a hugo2. What easily obtainable amps/dacs that don’t cost a fortune go well with the vc. I’ve been considering other the vc or stellia for almost a year!
Hugo 2 and VC are a lovely pairing, but you really need an external amp to bring it to fruition. I don't know the Rebel amp, but looks nice. For under a 1k or so, Liquid Platinum or something from Feliks or Flux Labs would work well. Thereafter, options expand.

But as a baseline, Hugo 2 is a great DAC for VC in my estimation (I use it daily).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back