ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jun 28, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #6,691 of 12,429
Anybody received their set of VC’s in Sapele yet? I’d like to see how they’re looking in this batch. The stock photos look great, and I remember how nice the wood was when I had a Sapele Aeolus a couple years back.
Not mine. Pics from Stefan @ headphoneauditions.nl

IMG_0388.jpeg
IMG_0389.jpeg

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #6,692 of 12,429
I very briefly had the Stellia, and they sounded great!! But I decided they weren’t for me, mainly because of the leather. It stains easily - while that can add character, some of the used Stellias have awful looking headbands because of it, and I felt I would be too worried about damaging the leather (given the price) and wouldn’t use it as much. That may not be a factor for a lot of folks though! In the end I went with VC because of the wider soundstage, and because they seem more durable and repairable should any damage occur.
You can buy custom knit wraps with snaps to protect headbands from skin oil discoloration and deterioration. I got one on eBay for my Utopia for under $15, as I recall. Excellent investment!

Jun 28, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #6,693 of 12,429
I have a problem with the paint on the headband, the paint is coming off and peeling.
I keep the headphones on a hanger in a closed desk and I take care of them...
And because of this paint they look like 10 years old.
I even got a marker from the company and at first it was enough ....
Do you have a problem with this? Maybe the painting process has improved?

Sorry for the translator.

Attachments

• 1624875208429.jpg
    1624875208429.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1624875208455.jpg
    1624875208455.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 1624876135569.jpg
    1624876135569.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #6,694 of 12,429
I have a problem with the paint on the headband, the paint is coming off and peeling.

Can't imagine this occurred of its own accord; seems like something must have been rubbing against the headband and the ring around the cup. Or perhaps there's a moisture issue in your room?

Jun 28, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #6,695 of 12,429

That looks grim. From the way the paint is bubbled it looks like there has been a chemical reaction with something. Have you cleaned it with anything recently?

Worse case scenario you can buy a new aluminium headband set for around $130 without the leather bits.

Jun 28, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #6,696 of 12,429
Conditions are normal, correct. I had a couple of headphone models before and had no paint issues (audeze -xc , abyss diana). I do not clean , just that the paint since purchase has been delicate , I would not want to damage it even more. Wondering , maybe the painting process has changed and is better ?Is it worth changing the headband for a new one.
Headphones do not rub against anything, normal use, listening, changing pads and putting on a hanger :)

Apologies for the translator.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #6,697 of 12,429
Conditions are normal, correct. I had a couple of headphone models before and had no paint issues (audeze -xc , abyss diana). I do not clean , just that the paint since purchase has been delicate , I would not want to damage it even more. Wondering , maybe the painting process has changed and is better ?Is it worth changing the headband for a new one.

Other than a few minor scratches (my own fault) I have never had an issue with the headband. Presumably you have the stock magnesium which is painted and known to be more prone to damage than the anodised aluminium option (which is actually cheaper).

I chose to swap mine for the aluminium purely for durability reasons.

Although I would suggest that the wear on your headband is not normal and there is definitely something out of the ordinary at play.

Jun 28, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #6,698 of 12,429
Headphones do not rub against anything, normal use, listening, changing pads and putting on a hanger :)

Hard to say. Never seen this on any ZMF headphone, so indeed appears to be highly unusual. I suggest dropping @zach915m a line.

Jun 28, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #6,701 of 12,429

You're probably better off with the aluminum chassis, it's anodized, not painted, and is far more durable. You'll have no paint chip issues with it, though you can still scratch it if you bang it around. I personally prefer the aluminum to the magnesium for that very reason. I have more peace of mind that a few bumps won't chip the paint.

Jun 28, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #6,702 of 12,429

Audeze doesn't look painted to me. They look powder coated on the grill to me. Abyss is cerakote. The magnesium chassis is just painted. I don't think there is a protective coating over the black paint so it will chip no doubt.

I would almost suggest trying to get the magnesium powder coated or anodized. It might be cheaper than the aluminum option. Not sure if you could get it cerakoted, if that is an option it would be cheap as well ($50-100).

Jun 28, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #6,703 of 12,429

The magnesium chassis are painted - and more fragile than the aluminum which is anodized, but this amount of damage is more environmental than anything. There is something happening during use that is causing this. We have 20 to 30 headphones that we keep at the shop that have magnesium chassis and are sparingly used without any paint chipping, and the paint chipping we do see from normal use is typically on the gimbal edges and can be touched up with a paint marker (email us if anyone needs one!)

This chassis would need to be replaced and in your environment/conditions I would recommend aluminum aesthetically.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 29, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #6,704 of 12,429
It seems odd to me too. I have 4 with magnesium chassis, 3 over a year and 1 9 months old. Nothing more than tiny nicks of any of them and some are still perfect.

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #6,705 of 12,429
I’m incredibly careful with my VC’s, they’re either on my head or in a case. I don’t have any chipped paint after 6-7 months ownership. If ZMF had offered a discount, I would have definitely opted for the aluminum chassis for durability alone. I wasn’t too concerned with the weight difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back