ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jun 13, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #6,586 of 12,429
Has anyone tried VC on Auris Tube Amps? Particularly the newest Auris HA2-SF or the older HA2-SE....
I am thinking to get the HA2-SF but I have not way to try it before I purchase it.

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #6,587 of 12,429
Hey guys. I think I'm getting a case of "buyers nerves" with outlaying a large sum on a single item purchase.

Are there other HPs that may resolve a little better than the VC and still be musical?

I ask because a friend of mine suggested that I may prefer the Diana Abyss (and planar in general) over the VC when I mentioned that I'm likely to by the VC.

Has anyone experience of a direct A/B of the VC with the Abyss Diana v2?

There is "something" about the Alpha Prime headphone that just reels me in. It's frustrating that I can't explain it well. It just gets me foot tapping and head bopping. I want "more" of what Prime gives. No other HP has done it to me in this way lol.

I guess paying out £2500+ for a headphone and the reality of that value is making me get buyers nerves. I wish I could A/B a few HPs with my rig then decide which I'm keeping, but understandably funds won't allow.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #6,588 of 12,429
Hey guys. I think I'm getting a case of "buyers nerves" with outlaying a large sum on a single item purchase.

Are there other HPs that may resolve a little better than the VC and still be musical?

I ask because a friend of mine suggested that I may prefer the Diana Abyss (and planar in general) over the VC when I mentioned that I'm likely to by the VC.

There is "something" about the Alpha Prime headphone that just reels me in. It's frustrating that I can't explain it well. It just gets me foot tapping and head bopping. I want "more" of what Prime gives. No other HP has done it to me in this way lol.

I guess paying out £2500+ for a headphone and the reality of that value is making me get buyers nerves. I wish I could A/B a few HPs with my rig then decide which I'm keeping, but understandably funds won't allow.
Not aware of buyers nerves but my advice would be to buy and try. The good thing about the VC is that resale value is consistently high if you end up not liking them.

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #6,589 of 12,429
Not aware of buyers nerves but my advice would be to buy and try. The good thing about the VC is that resale value is consistently high if you end up not liking them.
Buyers nerves is like buyers remorse but before I even purchased - it's something I always seem to suffer with when buying anything in the £000's. Research the hell out of said item, procrastinate, think I've made up my mind, procrastinate some more, then buy an item. I'm my own worst enemy in this sense.

But yes there is no substitute for real world experience. I've a couple of weeks to consider further before stock lands at Acorn Audio anyway.

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #6,590 of 12,429
Buyers nerves is like buyers remorse but before I even purchased - it's something I always seem to suffer with when buying anything in the £000's. Research the hell out of said item, procrastinate, think I've made up my mind, procrastinate some more, then buy an item. I'm my own worst enemy in this sense.

But yes there is no substitute for real world experience. I've a couple of weeks to consider further before stock lands at Acorn Audio anyway.
Have you heard the Verite Closed (VC) for yourself? If not, then this is the very first thing you should try to do. As you said yourself, there's no substitute for real world experience. I personally think they're absolutely phenomenal, and represent a triumph of design, engineering, quality, and, despite the seemingly high purchase price, value.
But I'm not you, and vice versa. I bought them unheard and they exceeded my expectations. In fact, I think they're overall superior to the HiFiMAN HE-1000 headphones, for which I was a beta tester. But your experience and perception may be very different from mine. So I'd very strongly recommend listening for yourself if you have the chance to do so.

Jun 15, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #6,591 of 12,429

If I tell you that you have £500 to travel to say London, and audition your top prospects in person, does that give you a route out of your audionervosa box ?

If that's what it takes to convince you that you're making a choice you'll be happy with, the expenditure on pre-purchase research could be one of the best investments you've ever made.

Only you can decide how much risk you're willing to take, ordering something expensive without having tried it beforehand.

OTOH ... to test a set of headphones with all your current best gear, that probably needs to happen in your house. So instead of you going to London for £500, the headphone visits you at your house. If you don't love it, you're out by the difference for everything you paid to get the h/ps in hand, less whatever you sell them for. Maybe that's a net cost of experiment of £500. But if you do love them, happy happy.

OTOOH ... I mentioned testing with "your current best gear." The probability that you will upgrade other components in the chain within 12 months, after getting some top tier headphones, is 87%. (We say "sorry about your wallet", but nobody really means it.)

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #6,592 of 12,429
I've today agreed a VC loan unit with Aamer at Acorn Audio in London. I've had to put a full deposit of £2500 down in order to borrow them for one week. If they aren't what I'm looking for I can return the loan unit and get a full refund minus a £35 shipping and insurance fee. At least I get to demo with my own gear with my own music. I'm really happy with this plan and I'll see how i get on before deciding on what to do.

Jun 15, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #6,593 of 12,429
I've today agreed a VC loan unit with Aamer at Acorn Audio in London. I've had to put a full deposit of £2500 down in order to borrow them for one week. If they aren't what I'm looking for I can return the loan unit and get a full refund minus a £35 shipping and insurance fee. At least I get to demo with my own gear with my own music. I'm really happy with this plan and I'll see how i get on before deciding on what to do.
That is amazing deal.

Jun 15, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #6,595 of 12,429
The legendary Aamer strikes again! I hope you enjoy your trial.

Listening to Pink Floyd - Animals with my VC and it truly is a magical experience.

Jun 15, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #6,596 of 12,429
The legendary Aamer strikes again! I hope you enjoy your trial.

Listening to Pink Floyd - Animals with my VC and it truly is a magical experience.
Yes he seems very good to do business with.

Nice, whilst I'm not pink Floyds biggest fan, I appreciate the quality of their music and how popular they are. I'm glad to hear you get so much enjoyment from listening to them on the VC

Jun 15, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #6,597 of 12,429
As someone who has owned and loved the Alpha Prime in the past and who currently owns a VC, I am betting you are gonna love the VC. Also, that's pretty cool you get to demo it for a week, as it takes at least a few days to get a feel for the sound. In my opinion, the VC are on a completely different level and then some.

Jun 15, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #6,598 of 12,429
As someone who has owned and loved the Alpha Prime in the past and who currently owns a VC, I am betting you are gonna love the VC. Also, that's pretty cool you get to demo it for a week, as it takes at least a few days to get a feel for the sound. In my opinion, the VC are on a completely different level and then some.
Cool, I hope I get on as well with the VC as you have!

Yeah I'm pleased I have a week with it . It took me a couple of days to adjust to Atticus due to how much more forward the mids are compared with prime

Jun 15, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #6,599 of 12,429
Cool, I hope I get on as well with the VC as you have!

Yeah I'm pleased I have a week with it . It took me a couple of days to adjust to Atticus due to how much more forward the mids are compared with prime
As with any new piece of gear I get a chance to hear, I always find I need several hours a day and the breaks in between (sleeping and giving my ears and brain rest) give me time to adjust to what I am hearing. For me the VC closed magic came within a few nights of listening to very familiar music on amp/dac combos I was used to. First listen, I was comparing open and closed verite on an amp and dac I had used for the past year with music I listened to nightly (so very familiar with the amp/dac and music synergy) so it was just the headphones being new to the chain. I think a week will give you an excellent idea if you like what the headphones are doing for you ears/brain/soul or if they aren’t what you are looking for. Super excited for you and your new experience 👍🏻

Jun 15, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #6,600 of 12,429
As with any new piece of gear I get a chance to hear, I always find I need several hours a day and the breaks in between (sleeping and giving my ears and brain rest) give me time to adjust to what I am hearing. For me the VC closed magic came within a few nights of listening to very familiar music on amp/dac combos I was used to. First listen, I was comparing open and closed verite on an amp and dac I had used for the past year with music I listened to nightly (so very familiar with the amp/dac and music synergy) so it was just the headphones being new to the chain. I think a week will give you an excellent idea if you like what the headphones are doing for you ears/brain/soul or if they aren’t what you are looking for. Super excited for you and your new experience 👍🏻
Yes agreed it can take some time to acclimatise and I think the breaks are just as important as the time you give new gear as you need the processing time.

With Atticus at first I was surprised by how mid range forward it is and by the mid bass. I could not listen for long. I'm better with it now because of the comfort improvements by adjusting headband and cup clamp pressure. Also changed tubes that helped too. It ended up pleasing my ears/brain but not my soul - which is where I'm hoping the VC will improve things.

Thanks I'm hyped up looking forward to it! :thumbsup:

Some pictures that Aamer sent of the VC Monkeypod loan unit....

ZMF VC Loan unit - 1.jpg

ZMF VC Loan unit - 2.jpg

ZMF VC Loan unit - 3.jpg

ZMF VC Loan unit - 4.jpg

ZMF VC Loan unit - 5.jpg

ZMF VC Loan unit - 6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back