ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jun 6, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #6,436 of 12,451
Yeah both are great tubes. Upon having placed the Mullard tubes in, the worst of the mid bass has gone, which is a step in the right direction and reminiscent of some Amperex ECC88's in my Lyr 2 (which I love).

I did used to have a set of Tungsram 6922 tubes that I used in a Mjolnir 2 a while back. Dan Clark recommended them to me specifically for EDM. I have just ordered this identical looking pair of tubes - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264963016380 .

To be honest, I'm not really interested in pad rolling. I'd rather get as close to what I'm looking for in the headphone without resorting to pad rolling.

Yes the way you have described the mid-bass is exactly what I'm trying to articulate. I also have to turn the volume down on the Echo to stop my hears from hurting after 30 mins or so of listening.

I had HD650 many yrs back and didn't like it (felt it was thin - which I appreciate is not how most would find it), though for a while I did enjoy Philips Fidelio X2. So, I've had mixed experiences with open HPs.

Atticus is good for music like this at low volumes (Clem Leek is a favourite of mine) - https://music.amazon.co.uk/albums/B...002803JQC&ref=dm_sh_8817-4ee0-df98-ce52-61de7

But not so good for me with stuff like this (too intimate, not resolving enough, decay far too long, lacking in "slam" with regard to sub bass) - https://music.amazon.co.uk/albums/B...07CPRG7CW&ref=dm_sh_92d7-97ce-796b-fa72-525f0

On the Chicane track with the Primes, the sound stage is wider, and the music just kind of dances around you - it's quite holographic.

I typically favour closed HPs for electronica/EDM/trance/house, but in a way I feel about Atticus a little like I did about Denon D2000 in terms of bass and fatigue.

Yes - I find the Atticus mids too much to the point I have to have the volume on really low or my ears ache - and yes compared to Prime the mids seem fuzzy and congested. I also feel that the primes are faster (I guess less decay) and Atticus is almost lazy by comparison with EDM. I can listen to any genre on the Primes, and they are almost spot on (could do with a little more sub bass) with all genres, whereas with Atticus, I only really enjoy with Acoustic music (which I don't listen to anywhere near as much as EDM/Trance/House or pop). I think the Primes have a little lushness to them which I really enjoy, and Atticus to me is dryer.

From what you've said, I think the VO or VC are most suited to me. I certainly wouldn't wish to go any cooler than Prime, so Auteur is probably out on that basis - although I do appreciate what you are saying in terms of matching the warmth of the Echo.

I'm certainly interested in knowing what the Verite open is like, which I hope would complement the Primes nicely (I doubt I'll ever sell the primes).

This is the kind of music I adore with the Primes (track is called Quiet Earth) - https://music.amazon.co.uk/albums/B...003C73OYW&ref=dm_sh_44c3-93ca-b7cb-a653-2171e

Edit: It may be worth mentioning that I'm using Prime with Lyr 2 and Modi Multibit, which is quite different to Modi Multibit & Echo for use with Atticus.
If you find the mids too warm/fuzzy - even though I realize you don't want to pad roll, you'd really be missing out if you don't try the universe pads. The will bring the ear closer, make the sound faster, and lessen the "boom" and thickness in the lower mids. Changing the pads isn't too hard, my intended use in designing different earpads is to give different presentation suited to each user's preferences.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 6, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #6,437 of 12,451
The Verite would definitely be closest to the prime in terms of speed and dynamics. On the echo it’s going to have a more organic and warmer sound to it. On the Lyr it’s going to be brighter and faster. One worry I have is your tastes just might crave planar drivers more, and no ZMF will truly satisfy. They have a delivery that’s just different from dynamics, even the fast metal coated drivers like the Verite. Only way to find out though is to try :)

Okay good to know it's closest to prime.

I share the thought that I may just prefer planar over dynamic. Like you say.. only way to find out is to try.

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #6,438 of 12,451
If you find the mids too warm/fuzzy - even though I realize you don't want to pad roll, you'd really be missing out if you don't try the universe pads. The will bring the ear closer, make the sound faster, and lessen the "boom" and thickness in the lower mids. Changing the pads isn't too hard, my intended use in designing different earpads is to give different presentation suited to each user's preferences.
Okay thanks Zach. Appreciate your advice. Will consider the universe pads.

Out of interest, what do you think about changing from Atticus to Vérité Open?

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #6,439 of 12,451
Okay thanks Zach. Appreciate your advice. Will consider the universe pads.

Out of interest, what do you think about changing from Atticus to Vérité Open?
Hey bro, I use a Verite Closed with Eikon Suede pads for probably 75% of my listening. Running off of a ZMF pendant that I have tubes pretty dialed in on. I listen to a very wide range of music and they satisfy 98%. If I am feeling a need to swap it up I will listen to my ZMF Aeolus for a relaxing late night whiskey music session or my Grado GH4s if I want to have a fire lit under me. They all sound fantastic from the pendant amp but the VC are a very large step above all of my headphones for every genre... grados, focals, CA cascades, Argons, etc.

With all of that being said, I decided to comment because I, like you, very much like electronic music and my taste and what I listen for sounds like yours. I have a set of Universe hybrid pads that I literally only use when I decide to listen to electonica/edm/house and they transform the verite into the perfect headphone for that music. This is the entire reason I went with the VC over the VO, btw. And I have not been disappointed in my decision.

Jun 6, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #6,440 of 12,451
Hey bro, I use a Verite Closed with Eikon Suede pads for probably 75% of my listening. Running off of a ZMF pendant that I have tubes pretty dialed in on. I listen to a very wide range of music and they satisfy 98%. If I am feeling a need to swap it up I will listen to my ZMF Aeolus for a relaxing late night whiskey music session or my Grado GH4s if I want to have a fire lit under me. They all sound fantastic from the pendant amp but the VC are a very large step above all of my headphones for every genre... grados, focals, CA cascades, Argons, etc.

With all of that being said, I decided to comment because I, like you, very much like electronic music and my taste and what I listen for sounds like yours. I have a set of Universe hybrid pads that I literally only use when I decide to listen to electonica/edm/house and they transform the verite into the perfect headphone for that music. This is the entire reason I went with the VC over the VO, btw. And I have not been disappointed in my decision.
Hey. Thanks for your message. That's interesting to read.

I had initially thought the VC may suit the electronica and EDM etc better than the VO, though I had also read that the VO may be best due to the extra space and depth over the VC.

I also enjoy sub bass so for that I've found closed HP's are usually better.

I think I do need to lean towards a HP that will have a bias towards electronica.

I would be interested in hearing the VO though and moving to VC if needed. I think if I go VC straight away then I'll likely not try the VO.

I do need to consider pads too it seems.

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #6,441 of 12,451
I also enjoy sub bass so for that I've found closed HP's are usually better.
You may want to watch my review of the VC, where I compare the two versions of the Verite. I speak specifically about sub bass here.

I do need to consider pads too it seems.
Yes, yes you do.

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #6,442 of 12,451
You may want to watch my review of the VC, where I compare the two versions of the Verite. I speak specifically about sub bass here.

Yes, yes you do.

I can attest to monsterzeros post. I had the verite open and was curious how it stacked up to the closed and his video is one of the reason I searched for a verite closed. After his video I bought a closed and owned both the open and closed at the same time for my own comparisons.

Jun 7, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #6,444 of 12,451

Yes, yes you do.

Hey Monster,

Thanks for posting your review here - very insightful. I am going to look for a pair of VC for sale and see how I get on with them. I will consider a VO further down the line.

Best regards
M-83.

Jun 7, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #6,447 of 12,451
Apologies if it was said before and I missed it, but do we know if there is going to be another VC stabilized drop this year?
Thinking about rolling the dice on those, seeing what happens, and if I don't snag a pair I'll pick up an Olive LTD.

Jun 7, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #6,448 of 12,451
Apologies if it was said before and I missed it, but do we know if there is going to be another VC stabilized drop this year?
Thinking about rolling the dice on those, seeing what happens, and if I don't snag a pair I'll pick up an Olive LTD.
Think there is supposed to be one next month iirc, but it’s going to be just as hard as last time to get one.

Jun 7, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #6,449 of 12,451
I think there is another drop soon, but there is also a few of us here that have one from the last batch up for sale.

Jun 7, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #6,450 of 12,451
Thanks both of you for the heads up.
I think there is another drop soon, but there is also a few of us here that have one from the last batch up for sale.
I saw! Looking for a different color palette than those available, but good luck with the sale. I actually quite like the Olive, I'd just be kicking myself if something else caught my eye if there was a drop soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back