ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
May 28, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #6,346 of 12,391
Hey folks, former Auteur owner here - I ended up selling it as it was a bit fatiguing for me during long sessions, bought an Empy as I thought it'd fit my needs better, as it was better to wear for long work sessions and easier to drive.

Lo and behold I miss the dynamism and mids of the Auteur, as you can see by my profile pic that still hasn't let go of the Auteur.

However I've been wondering if the VO or VC might suit a better middle ground, where I'd like prominent vocals and mids, awesome bass (more sub than mid if forced to pick), yet still don't want something that might be fatiguing for long sessions during work (perhaps a more extended than prominent treble to allow for good air and clarity without harshness).

From what I understand, yet may also be wrong since I've read differing opinions, the VC might have more forward mids and vocals than VO, yet also might be a bit brighter overall? If so, is the VC still less bright than the Auteur?

Being open/closed comes second to getting my preferred sound sig.

Am essentially looking for a middle ground between Empy and VC.

Would be pairing with the DX300 as source and Cayin C9 as an amp (desktop amp to come a few yrs down the line when I get a man cave, current setup calls for a more transportable solution at the moment).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/help!
The VC has a bit less treble presence than the Auteur (both on Auteur pads), but imo it's still a slightly more fatiguing listen for me. That comes from the metallic driver in the VC vs the biocellulous unit in the Auteur. The biocellulous driver just seems more organic and natural sounding, though it can't touch the beryllium unit in technical ability. Though the Auteur pushes a bit more treble at me, i find it smoother overall and less fatiguing. That being said, I don't find the VC overly fatiguing as a whole, just in direct comparison. What really helped the VC for me was a good tube amp. With tubes I can listen loud with no fatigue. I do find the Auteur's mids a bit more forward than the VC. Bass goes to the VC by a fair margin. Not that the Auteur is bass-lite, but in direct comparison it's definitely giving less quantity. Hope some of that helps.

May 28, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #6,347 of 12,391
Purely speaking of brightness, I could listen to VC for hours on end without problem with Auteur or Universe pads, but with Auteur (headphone) I just couldn't adjust to the treble response regardless of pads. It was too hot.
VO, VC, Aeolus, Atticus have never been too hot for me. Only Auteur.

As far as dynamism and mids go, for my tastes the VC does it very well and does it better than the VO too.

May 28, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #6,348 of 12,391
To be honest, I didn’t think the Treble on the Autuer was that hard to adjust to. What did take a bit to adjust was the 820s, had to wear those in small sessions to be able to wear them for long periods (which was totally worth it, especially with the Pendant SE). I’m just missing my VC and a Salire and I’ll have everything I’ll ever need.

Attachments

• 80574231-7A63-4136-AF0A-9D04017D0E15.jpeg
    80574231-7A63-4136-AF0A-9D04017D0E15.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
May 28, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #6,349 of 12,391
The VC has a bit less treble presence than the Auteur (both on Auteur pads), but imo it's still a slightly more fatiguing listen for me. That comes from the metallic driver in the VC vs the biocellulous unit in the Auteur. The biocellulous driver just seems more organic and natural sounding, though it can't touch the beryllium unit in technical ability. Though the Auteur pushes a bit more treble at me, i find it smoother overall and less fatiguing. That being said, I don't find the VC overly fatiguing as a whole, just in direct comparison. What really helped the VC for me was a good tube amp. With tubes I can listen loud with no fatigue. I do find the Auteur's mids a bit more forward than the VC. Bass goes to the VC by a fair margin. Not that the Auteur is bass-lite, but in direct comparison it's definitely giving less quantity. Hope some of that helps.

May 28, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #6,352 of 12,391
Interesting thoughts. I find the Auteur Hyrbrid pads best on both. I have found by tuning my system with both cable and a few after market devices that the treble on VC is slightly less fatiguing than on my Auteur Blackwoods. But it's getting noise out of your system, lowering the noise floor and even playing with isolation devices in the system. I find a bit more grit and opacity and a hindtmore upper mid hardness in the Auteur, a bit of damping on the baffle helps remove some of that. The Verite closed is more inherently neutral and tonally sweeter with more of pure sense of air, but it hides less of the emi, rf, and powerline noise which hardens it and makes it brighter than it really is.
I have tinkered and fiddled with my system for weeks while it was breaking in. I credit a lot of these discoveries to conversations with Alex at Wywires and also a lot of texts to Bob Pragnell at Mad Scientist. The Verite Closed Leopardwoods are beyond magic when you start really tuning your system. I even prefer the more neutral liquid midrange they
create with the Auteur Hybrid pads. They are less forward and less euphonic, but harmonically they are more correct and instruments really sing and resonate properly on them. The overtones of stringed instruments combined with the weight and resonance of the instrument's body and the significant improvement in speed and minimized group delay, make those instrument sound far more realistic that the Auteur is capable of. Is does the same thing with voices, I just hear more of all these things. Rythmic resonant energy that is remarkably well balanced and complete. I love My Auteur Blackwoods, but they don't compete!

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #6,353 of 12,391
Thanks for the help all, @Monsterzero your vids helped a bunch while I was researching as well.

Ended up getting a LTD VC from a fellow HF'er here, will look to compare with Empy soon!

May 28, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #6,354 of 12,391
Thanks for the help all, @Monsterzero your vids helped a bunch while I was researching as well.

Ended up getting a LTD VC from a fellow HF'er here, will look to compare with Empy soon!
You're welcome :beerchug:

May 28, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #6,355 of 12,391
Hey Zach, today's batch was the last of the stabilized that you had on the go right? Just curious if you have any estimate on how long for the next batch to go up for sale.

If there is no estimate in sight... I'm highly contemplating customizing myself an Olive set and continue to take jabs at getting my ultimate favourite stabilized set down the road...

Thinking along those lines... anyone have pictures of their Sapele VC in person? Curious how it looks at home vs the Olive.
I second that request as I feel that the rush and time of day to compete for a pair of stabilized VC is too difficult. To be fair, the stabilized offering should be on a weekend morning for those of us who work during the week and can’t use our trigger finger for purchase. Maybe when there is a surplus of stabilized choices would do it. Now it’s a decision between Olive wood and Sapele. Which one looks and sounds better??

May 28, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #6,356 of 12,391
I second that request as I feel that the rush and time of day to compete for a pair of stabilized VC is too difficult. To be fair, the stabilized offering should be on a weekend morning for those of us who work during the week and can’t use our trigger finger for purchase. Maybe when there is a surplus of stabilized choices would do it. Now it’s a decision between Olive wood and Sapele. Which one looks and sounds better??
If you decide on olive wood let me know and you can take my spot and get it quicker it’s in the sanding phase.

May 28, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #6,357 of 12,391
If you decide on olive wood let me know and you can take my spot and get it quicker it’s in the sanding phase.
For anyone thinking on taking dougq’s offer remember I believe you will get the warranty transferred to you if it is before it leaves the shop, before QA. Just need to work it out with dougq and Zach. IMO that is almost instant gratification since you will not have to wait as long as the rest of us have had and you get the warranty to boot.

May 28, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #6,358 of 12,391
Go based on looks. They will virtually sound the same.

May 28, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #6,359 of 12,391
Go based on looks. They will virtually sound the same.
I also agree, however if you plan on getting a Stabilized VC in the future you should also think about which would sell faster. I was thinking about Sapale simply because it would be less out of my pocket. Ultimately chose to stick with the Olive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back