ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
May 27, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #6,331 of 12,461
All the suede straps are exactly the same length - and the same with the leather straps, they are both shorter than the steel band, and the amount of suspension varies with the headband shape, and the shape of your head.

I'll be posting a video soon on the different options, but typically if you find the suede strap uncomfortable you likely will like the leather band or the co-pilot only over the steel band. The suede usually seems to work best for those with hat size 7 and 1/8 or smaller and vice versa.
hmmm...even that can be personal preference. My hat size runs big at 7 5/8 but I prefer the suede strap. It may be that I like a tight fit with comfort and I achieve this with the suede strap plus I found that for me the posts were to close to the gimbals so the suede strap provided the extra room to spread them out. Reshaping the steel headband has a lot to do with the comfort as well as the angle of the ear pads for me, which I do not see anyone texting about.

The angle of the ear pads I find more comfortable tilted slightly back behind the posts. So if you look at your headphones from the front the seams of the ear pads are a bit past the gimbal connection on the front of the headphone so the thicker part of the ear pad sits behind my ear, but this also is affected by the angle that the headband is on your head, so again personal preference.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #6,332 of 12,461
All the suede straps are exactly the same length - and the same with the leather straps, they are both shorter than the steel band, and the amount of suspension varies with the headband shape, and the shape of your head.

I'll be posting a video soon on the different options, but typically if you find the suede strap uncomfortable you likely will like the leather band or the co-pilot only over the steel band. The suede usually seems to work best for those with hat size 7 and 1/8 or smaller and vice versa.
Interesting. I've never had problems with the leather strap, and I am a 7 1/8. I'll have to try out the suede to see the difference!

May 27, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #6,333 of 12,461
Well now with all this talk about the suede strap I really want to try it, usually I find the straps that help with suspension help in alleviate some of the pressure and better distribute the weight across all of my head.

May 27, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #6,334 of 12,461
I prefer the suede strap as well. I really love the deerskin strap on my Argons too. I’ve contemplated trying it on my VC’s, but the suede strap has been comfortable enough that I haven’t bothered.

May 27, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #6,335 of 12,461
Directly from the ZMF website, and why I swapped my VC leather strap out with a suede strap... it immediately alleviated the discomfort associated with a top of the head hot spot using the leather strap:

The ZMF Suede strap may be the right modification for you on your ZMF headphones if your hat size is 7 and 1/4 or smaller. This may provide extra comfort and/or a better fit. A video guide on installation is available here. A good rule of thumb: don't force anything and reach out if you need help!

The original leather strap is also available for stock replacement for if you want to swap out your suede for leather!

just telling you my experience and why I purchased the suede replacement with great results.

May 27, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #6,336 of 12,461
IMG_0798.jpg

Because I'm a moron, I now find myself in possession of 3 VCs.

I bought the Monkeypod one from ZMF a few months back, and I quickly realized that it was my favorite headphone. Every time I use something else for a while and then come back to a VC, my brain immediately goes: "Oh! Yes, this is what this music is supposed to sound like". It's almost as if this headphone was tuned for what my brain expects to hear. There is nothing missing, and there is nothing excessive. It's engaging, it slams, the tonal balance is perfect to my taste, sound stage is great (especially for a closed back!), it's just faultless.

Then my brain went - if you like it so much - why don't you look for a limited edition one?

So I managed to snag a Camphor Burl from a Redditor, and damn, they're a beauty!

More or less the next day the announcement for stabilized VCs dropped, and I was lucky enough to snag the Coccinati!

Unfortunately I'm fairly sensitive to weight, neck pain, and clamp force, and it seems that with ZMF - beauty comes at a cost - weight.

The Monkeypods weigh 479g, the Camphor Burl 510g, and my new stabilized set weighs 548g.

I've used the stabilized set for the past 2 days and I think I can get it comfortable-enough, and will sell the other two pairs once I can convince myself that it's the right decision, and once my lazy ass musters enough energy to take the pictures and such.

In other headphone news, I've ordered a new Verite Open in Sapele yesterday to replace my VO in Silkwood (402g! possibly the lightest ZMF on the planet) because while comfort is important, an emotional connection to the headphone is king - and looks are a huge part of it.

I drive everything off an RME ADI-2 DAC FS. I value desk space a lot when it comes to DAC/Amps - and I do use the EQ on it as it's connected to Windows and Linux laptops and those can't share EQ software and profiles, hardware EQ made more sense to me. That being said the EQ profiles I use for the VC and Diana v2 are so gentle I might transition to a THX Onyx dongle at some point and get rid of the RME. I also tried a Feliks Audio Echo Mk 2 and while it was appreciably different than the RME (though... not necessarily better, I ended up preferring the sound quality of the RME and THX Onyx) - I couldn't justify how impractical it was for my use case. Size, heat, and just the ridiculousness of turning it on and off and whatnot.
Haha, I think I've seen a few of your listings on Reddit for the VC.

The stabilized set looks ace.

And I feel similarly about the Echo. I got one to try my VC with, and it's nice, but not a game-changer. Just a nice occasional switch from my Element II, with a bit more separation and taming the treble, making the lamb auteurs a good option for me. Interested in hearing other tube options, but honestly I'm more of a solid state kind of guy.

May 27, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #6,337 of 12,461
Yep were staining it! Here's the text from the product page: The current stock wood for the Vérité Open is Sapele. The sapele is finished in a vintage mahogany stain for a darker appearance. When paired with the optional copper grille and rods, the copper will be pre-oxidized for an aged patina.
Love the aged patina look, i hope that becomes a standard option on the metal parts :) Antiqued bronze is stunning...hint hint

May 27, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #6,338 of 12,461
For what it's worth I have a gargantuan melon and find the suede strap on my Auteurs to be very comfy. Leather strap on the VCs is also comfy. Maybe I just don't have a discerning scalp palate.

May 27, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #6,339 of 12,461
For what it's worth I have a gargantuan melon and find the suede strap on my Auteurs to be very comfy. Leather strap on the VCs is also comfy. Maybe I just don't have a discerning scalp palate.
I’ll have to wait for my VC to tell if the Suede is as comfortable as people make it out to be.

May 27, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #6,340 of 12,461
Zach was perceptive enough to build my B stock Verite Closed with a suede strap even though I asked for leather. I actually find the suede more comfortable. And he put them in a Seahorse case which is far more useful than the wood case my auteurs came in. Zach may know what you need better than you do. Maybe he is prescient! LOL!

On another note, digitally anyway. I have been so absolutely stunned by the Wywires cables and most particularly the Platinum USB that I am upgrading it. Yup got a Diamond USB on the way. Alex was kind enough to explain some of the tech in some detail to me. Carbon Graphene Tubes, aerospace foamed carbon, completely separate shielding of the DC and signal path, an even better geometry of his amazing litz configurations and a 3 to 4 times lower noise floor based on something around 17db plus improvement in noise over the platinum USB. The Verite Closed already throw much improved stage and dynamics etc. with my Platinum combo. Holy Schnickies, what will this do. He was even very fair about the trade to upgrade. Hot Damn!

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #6,341 of 12,461
Hey folks, former Auteur owner here - I ended up selling it as it was a bit fatiguing for me during long sessions, bought an Empy as I thought it'd fit my needs better, as it was better to wear for long work sessions and easier to drive.

Lo and behold I miss the dynamism and mids of the Auteur, as you can see by my profile pic that still hasn't let go of the Auteur.

However I've been wondering if the VO or VC might suit a better middle ground, where I'd like prominent vocals and mids, awesome bass (more sub than mid if forced to pick), yet still don't want something that might be fatiguing for long sessions during work (perhaps a more extended than prominent treble to allow for good air and clarity without harshness).

From what I understand, yet may also be wrong since I've read differing opinions, the VC might have more forward mids and vocals than VO, yet also might be a bit brighter overall? If so, is the VC still less bright than the Auteur?

Being open/closed comes second to getting my preferred sound sig.

Am essentially looking for a middle ground between Empy and VC.

Would be pairing with the DX300 as source and Cayin C9 as an amp (desktop amp to come a few yrs down the line when I get a man cave, current setup calls for a more transportable solution at the moment).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/help!

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #6,342 of 12,461
Hey folks, former Auteur owner here - I ended up selling it as it was a bit fatiguing for me during long sessions, bought an Empy as I thought it'd fit my needs better, as it was better to wear for long work sessions and easier to drive.

Lo and behold I miss the dynamism and mids of the Auteur, as you can see by my profile pic that still hasn't let go of the Auteur.

However I've been wondering if the VO or VC might suit a better middle ground, where I'd like prominent vocals and mids, awesome bass (more sub than mid if forced to pick), yet still don't want something that might be fatiguing for long sessions during work (perhaps a more extended than prominent treble to allow for good air and clarity without harshness).

From what I understand, yet may also be wrong since I've read differing opinions, the VC might have more forward mids and vocals than VO, yet also might be a bit brighter overall? If so, is the VC still less bright than the Auteur?

Being open/closed comes second to getting my preferred sound sig.

Am essentially looking for a middle ground between Empy and VC.

Would be pairing with the DX300 as source and Cayin C9 as an amp (desktop amp to come a few yrs down the line when I get a man cave, I much prefer a transportable setup at the moment).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/help!
I was under the perception that the VC was less bright than it’s brother/sister VO. If anyone could chime in I’d seriously like to know too.

May 27, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #6,343 of 12,461
I was under the perception that the VC was less bright than it’s brother/sister VO. If anyone could chime in I’d seriously like to know too.
Negative.
The VC has more sparkle up top vs. the VO

May 27, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #6,344 of 12,461
If so, is the VC still less bright than the Auteur?

Yes, slightly w/ both rocking the Auteur pads. I enjoy the extra energy up top, but if thats not your cup o' tea you can change the pads. I do believe the auteur non-perf are the most neutral and spacious sounding of the various pads, but dont quote me on that. Im far from a pad expert.

However I've been wondering if the VO or VC might suit a better middle ground, where I'd like prominent vocals and mids, awesome bass (more sub than mid if forced to pick),

You def want the VC for those elements vs. VO. The VO is more spacious sounding with more air, but the mids and bass, esp. the sub bass are awesome on the VC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back