ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
May 26, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #6,316 of 12,461
All 3 sound the same (they're all VCs), so between those 3 it's just about looks vs. weight.
For me the difference is so big I can't decide between Sapele and olive woods for the VC 😂 maybe this hobby makes me crazy.

But surely it's more pronounced on my otl tube amp than my RME.

Suede strap help alot with the weight.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #6,317 of 12,461
Stock wood for the VO is now sapele like the VC. The wood seems to have a huge variation to it:

The VO is stained darker than the VC.

TERBta8.png
BwSTWQK.png

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #6,319 of 12,461
Looks like dark stain (VO) to match the copper accents vs natural (VC) to me.

Yep were staining it! Here's the text from the product page: The current stock wood for the Vérité Open is Sapele. The sapele is finished in a vintage mahogany stain for a darker appearance. When paired with the optional copper grille and rods, the copper will be pre-oxidized for an aged patina.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 27, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #6,320 of 12,461
That’s a very expensive way to comparison shop! You might do well switching your stabilized over to the suede strap as it would give you a bit more cushion for the weight.
+1 for the suede strap!

May 27, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #6,321 of 12,461
+1 for the suede strap!
I wonder if I got a less than stellar unit. My suede strap seems quite short. As a result, there is a gap between the strap and the headband, when I put it on, and the full weight of the headphone is resting on the strap, creating a hot spot, resulting in the opposite of what I was trying to achieve. I have now settled on the leather strap and the suede headband, but I may go back to the pilot pad, which I quite liked, but is now doing its magic on the LCD-4.

May 27, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #6,322 of 12,461
I wonder if I got a less than stellar unit. My suede strap seems quite short. As a result, there is a gap between the strap and the headband, when I put it on, and the full weight of the headphone is resting on the strap, creating a hot spot, resulting in the opposite of what I was trying to achieve. I have now settled on the leather strap and the suede headband, but I may go back to the pilot pad, which I quite liked, but is now doing its magic on the LCD-4.

Happened to me also. I've now gone back to the leather strap. Mine does not appear to be short/ It fits perfectly in the arc of the headphone but when I put it on it creates the gap you explained and the full weight sits on the very top of my head and creates this hot spot and it is very uncomfortable. My hair hurts in this exact spot

May 27, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #6,323 of 12,461
Interestingly using the suede strap does create a gap between the strap and the head band on my VCs but I find it creates less of a hot-spot than the leather strap did. I guess it must just be down to different head shapes suiting different straps.

I did find I had to move the sizing down a notch each side when I moved to suede as well so that might help?

May 27, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #6,324 of 12,461
Happened to me also. I've now gone back to the leather strap. Mine does not appear to be short/ It fits perfectly in the arc of the headphone but when I put it on it creates the gap you explained and the full weight sits on the very top of my head and creates this hot spot and it is very uncomfortable. My hair hurts in this exact spot
Interestingly using the suede strap does create a gap between the strap and the head band on my VCs but I find it creates less of a hot-spot than the leather strap did. I guess it must just be down to different head shapes suiting different straps.

I did find I had to move the sizing down a notch each side when I moved to suede as well so that might help?
If there is a gap when you put it on, the strap is too short IMO. That should not happen, it should stay in touch with the headband when you put it on. I think it is a design issue, which unfortunately makes the suede strap unusable, for me at least. But fortunately the leather strap is ok for me, no big issue, just a shame that it does not work, because it sure looks comfortable.

May 27, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #6,325 of 12,461
If there is a gap when you put it on, the strap is too short IMO. That should not happen, it should stay in touch with the headband when you put it on. I think it is a design issue, which unfortunately makes the suede strap unusable, for me at least. But fortunately the leather strap is ok for me, no big issue, just a shame that it does not work, because it sure looks comfortable.

I always thought there should be a gap to be honest, the gap is just bigger with the suede vs leather. If the strap is touching the headband what is the point in having it? Surely you might as well just have a thicker headband.

In my mind the strap acts as suspension to evenly distribute the weight over your head.

May 27, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #6,326 of 12,461
I always thought there should be a gap to be honest, the gap is just bigger with the suede vs leather. If the strap is touching the headband what is the point in having it? Surely you might as well just have a thicker headband.

In my mind the strap acts as suspension to evenly distribute the weight over your head.

Agreed - don't understand the point of a strap that touches the band at all. Why have a strap in that case?

May 27, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #6,327 of 12,461

Agreed - don't understand the point of a strap that touches the band at all. Why have a strap in that case?
Good point. I think they are supposed to work in tandem and jointly support the weight, with the function of the strap being the weight distribution. In any case, if the weight is carried by the strap only, like in my case with the suede strap, it doesn't work for me.

May 27, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #6,328 of 12,461
+3

this is how it’s supposed to work. Engineering. The leather strap is also sold as an option for those with larger heads and need more room. If you are using the leather strap and it’s touching the band at the top then IMO you need the suede strap.

May 27, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #6,329 of 12,461
I think individual headshapes play a role here. I have the suede strap on all my ZMF headphones. To me it has been an improvement in comfort compared to the leather strap.

When you switch from the leather to the suede strap, remember to:
- make sure the metal headband is fully inserted into the socket before tightening up the screws,
- adjust the rods to match the increased thickness of the suede strap,
- you may have to bend the metal headband to get a fit that works with the thicker strap.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #6,330 of 12,461
All the suede straps are exactly the same length - and the same with the leather straps, they are both shorter than the steel band, and the amount of suspension varies with the headband shape, and the shape of your head.

I'll be posting a video soon on the different options, but typically if you find the suede strap uncomfortable you likely will like the leather band or the co-pilot only over the steel band. The suede usually seems to work best for those with hat size 7 and 1/8 or smaller and vice versa.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back