ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Apr 29, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #5,821 of 12,461
Apr 29, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #5,822 of 12,461
what are the pros & cons of aluminum vs magnesium chassis? is it just aluminum more durable and magnesium lighter?
Magnesium is lighter but painted, and the paint comes off with use. Aluminium is 34 grams heavier but not painted. Stays intact better. I first tried to touch up the paint on the magnesium but wasn't happy with the result, then changed to aluminium. Zach and Bevin were super helpful throughout this process!

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #5,823 of 12,461
Apr 29, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #5,824 of 12,461
Apr 29, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #5,825 of 12,461
That's just the tip of the iceberg, but well worth it.
Actually true. I'm over here about to buy every single pad.
Untitled.png

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #5,826 of 12,461
Magnesium is lighter but painted, and the paint comes off with use. Aluminium is 34 grams heavier but not painted. Stays intact better. I first tried to touch up the paint on the magnesium but wasn't happy with the result, then changed to aluminium. Zach and Bevin were super helpful throughout this process!
in that case i think i'll go with the aluminum... 34g is probably not noticeable for me. thanks!

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #5,827 of 12,461
Has/can anyone compare the LCD-2Closed and the Verite Closed? I currently have the LCD-2Closed and am considering moving to the Verite Closed...Any impressions between the two? I will be driving it with IFI Pro iDSD-> Pro Ican.
The Audeze LCD-2 CBs were my first hifi headphone. They are definitely very capable for what they are at the price point and comfortable despite the weight.

That said, the VCs just take it all to another level (and they should of course, being nearly 3x the price) and I am not even using a tube amp yet which should even further improve the sound quality of the VC. But maybe on the whole the LCDs are 75%-80% what the VCs are in the overall sense. And if you are a Breaking Bad fan, it may not sound like a lot, but really I feel like it is a tremendous gulf...

Here is a quick and dirty break down of how they compare:

Comfort
VCs 9/10 - would be 10/10 but for some people (not me) it is a still a heavy headphone
LCD2 7/10 - heavier than the VC and the perforated suspension strap is not as good as the VC suede strap. For a bald guy like myself, the perforated circles in the strap leave uncomfortable marks on my head when I take them off.

Tonality / Timbre
VC 10/10 - way more lifelike and accurate, instruments just sound real. For electronic/pop music the jump isn't as noticeable, but that has a lot more to do with the quality of production and the lack of real instruments.
LCD2 7/10 - not bad but a bit more etched in the treble and lacking in the tone for the mids

EQ
VC needs almost ZERO EQ with the Auteur pads. But the VC responds well when it is called for and I give them a slight bass shelf depending on the genre.

LCD2 on the other hand sounds very harsh in the treble with the stock configuration. And other than the Roon EQ for Audeze, I have never been able to get the Audeze to sound nearly as good or as fatigue free as the VC using the EQ on my RME-ADI 2 fs... that said, the bass is definitely a little tighter and more textured than the VC especially when you crank it, but otherwise the sonic signature is not nearly as enjoyable for me on the LCD2.

Speed/Attack/Fullness/Decay
VCs 10/10 - If you read through this thread you will see how much people love the VC for these qualities... hard to describe just how full and weighty they are, but still with a ton of speed. Pad rolling can really change the sound to match your preferences, with trade-offs between decay, speed, soundstage etc.
LCD2 8/10 is quick and has nice decay but it is a noticeable step down from the VCs

Soundstage
Soundstage is very close between the two pairs using stock pads (Auteur Leather vs Audeze's stock)

Looks
I mean c'mon the VC are the most beautiful headphones on the planet :darthsmile:

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #5,830 of 12,461
yes Canephora and Volcanis are my favorites so far

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #5,833 of 12,461
@zach915m - Always great names for your stabilized sets. Who comes up with the names? Is it a team effort?

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #5,834 of 12,461
Love the Arakis and Volcanis.

Mid move, wont be able to grab a pair this drop, but things should have settled by the May 14 drop. Good luck to those hunting for a specific pair tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back