ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jan 11, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #4,426 of 12,429
And also, im not trying to brag or sound smug, but i like to think i have a very diverse collection of really good headphones. However, no matter what i listen to, I always come back to the VC at the end of the day. My He1000se is the king of details, hands down. Its more detailed than the VC. (Bold and italics added by me.) My Auteur has better vocals than the VC, imo. My LCD-x has better bass slam than the VC. But the truth is, those headphones are excellent or best at one thing. Either detail, or vocals, or bass. The VC is the complete package. It has everything at just the right amount, based on my taste. Additionally, the camphor burl is just so pleasing to look at, while being light and comfortable. Cant say enough good things about it.

However with all that being said, i dont think my collection would be complete until I get a VO lol
That's interesting. I've never heard the HE-1000se, but I've owned the HE-1000 (original version) since 2015. After doing comparative listening, I concluded that the VC has even more detail than the HE-1000 (original version). I posted a brief comparison earlier in this thread. I was surprised that the VC had more detail (to my ears) than the HE-1000 (original version).

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #4,427 of 12,429
Hahaha, I'm not even sure if we are allowed to talk about this amp on head-fi. I know someone who has the VC with the SW51+, and he told me that it's the best tube amp under $1000 for the VC.

I'm also very curious to hear more feedback about the new Jotunheim 2 with the VC.
Very true, it’s a secret amp! I do like that feedback though!

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #4,428 of 12,429
We're going to need a better picture than that!
:beerchug:

_DSC8477.jpg

_DSC8482.jpg

_DSC8483.jpg

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #4,429 of 12,429
@koven Those look amazing! @Darthpool might even get a little jealous with that level of purple!

Jan 11, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #4,430 of 12,429
I'm also very curious to hear more feedback about the new Jotunheim 2 with the VC.

It's a very engaging combination. It has gobs of impact. Not just bass, but mids and treble as well. If you've heard them, think Mjolnir 2 or Black Widow 2 impact and engagement level. Treble quantity is a touch reserved, but it does so with a far smoother and a bit more liquid (in a good way) timbre than any of the other SS amps I have on hand. This part I think is what synergizes most with VC. There are some songs that make me cringe with the Pendant, ECP 3F & T4, etc. because the song is bright. I've not had to worry about that at all with Jot2.

Despite that quality, Jot2 puts forth some of the best sound stage I've heard from a Schiit amp in quite a while. It beats Asgard 2, 3 and Jot1 fairly easily there. Working from audio memory, it might even be on par, or best, the Lyr 3 too. (Take that last bit with a grain of salt, because it's been a while since I've owned the Lyr 3.) The 3F, T4, Pendant, BW2 do better for staging, but they are far more expensive, and all of them have more aggressive treble.

Jot2 does not pair well with Empyrean. It's kind of so-so with HD650, but my benchmark there is BW2 and T4. Auteur is also a very good pairing, but seems to slightly miss on the synergy VC has with it. I hope to test it out with my Aeolus when they arrive.

16104140944281040895126948095424.jpg

Edited because screw you autocorrect.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #4,432 of 12,429
@ProfFalkin Thanks a lot for your feedback about the Jot 2 with the VC. I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need another amp, but you didn't help me with your comments :wink:

Re not needing another amp: Of course you need another amp. The only real questions are what kind and how much.

Jan 12, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #4,434 of 12,429
Regarding frequency plots and EQ'ing. While I know little about interpreting plots compared to real-world listening, I find I am very sensitive to frequency imbalances. Since I got them, I kept hoping burn-in would let them 'open up' more -- thinking they needed some more air on top -- not brightness, or etchiness -- just 'air'. When it never came, I decided to try some EQ'ing to see if that would fix it. After trying bumps at a lot of different frequencies, I found using a parametric equalizer 2db bump at 5200Hz with a Bandwith (Q) of 4, fixed the problem I wanted fixed. While I ruled out the amp and source as the problem by trying other amps and sources, it's still possible the issue is my ears, my preferences, my pair of headphones, etc. But if any of you happen to feel that your VC's are just a touch darker than you'd like, here's something to try. I find trying never hurts, and I often learn things I wouldn't have expected.

I did try bumping at 3100Hz, and didn't hear any sonic benefit, but even after a relatively short time of listening, I felt some ear relief after removing the bump. So I would agree with Zach on his reasoning about it causing fatigue.

I'm using the built-in parametric equalizer in the JRiver Media Center 25 player on my computer.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #4,437 of 12,429
It's a very engaging combination. It has gobs of impact. Not just bass, but mids and treble as well. If you've heard them, think Mjolnir 2 or Black Widow 2 impact and engagement level. Treble quantity is a touch reserved, but it does so with a far smoother and a bit more liquid (in a good way) timbre than any of the other SS amps I have on hand. This part I think is what synergizes most with VC. There are some songs that make me cringe with the Pendant, ECP 3F & T4, etc. because the song is bright. I've not had to worry about that at all with Jot2.

Despite that quality, Jot2 puts forth some of the best sound stage I've heard from a Schiit amp in quite a while. It beats Asgard 2, 3 and Jot1 fairly easily there. Working from audio memory, it might even be on par, or best, the Lyr 3 too. (Take that last bit with a grain of salt, because it's been a while since I've owned the Lyr 3.) The 3F, T4, Pendant, BW2 do better for staging, but they are far more expensive, and all of them have more aggressive treble.

Jot2 does not pair well with Empyrean. It's kind of so-so with HD650, but my benchmark there is BW2 and T4. Auteur is also a very good pairing, but seems to slightly miss on the synergy VC has with it. I hope to test it out with my Aeolus when they arrive.

16104140944281040895126948095424.jpg

Edited because screw you autocorrect.
What wood is that? So dark!

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #4,438 of 12,429
Jan 13, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #4,439 of 12,429
African Blackwood. There is a sonic magic to this wood, I swear. It's audio voodoo.
What a beauty! Jot 2 / Bifrost 2 is a combo I can't wait to try. UK stock is unfortunately non-existent :frowning2:

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #4,440 of 12,429
What a beauty! Jot 2 / Bifrost 2 is a combo I can't wait to try. UK stock is unfortunately non-existent :frowning2:
So is US stock on Jot2. It seems they've been crunched by pandemic issues and demand. That's mostly a guess, but probably not far off base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back