ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Nov 9, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #3,931 of 12,423
Read this entire thread and I want to thank you all for your comments...
I picked up a pair of camphor burl from a guy who just got them, used them for 3 hours and decided he liked his Phi better. Didn’t even break them in!! Boggles my mind but his loss is my gain and I’m really excited. They will be here Thursday. I’m currently using the qutest DAC into a master 9. I’m really looking forward to the combination is the master 9 is the single most 3-D solid-state amp I’ve ever used. I’d also like to pick up a tube amp and was looking for a recommendation:
I could pick up a bottle head crack now or a Woo wa2 now or I could save up for a couple monthsor and pick up a pendant?
I own the MicroZOTL 2 with its original, switching power supply. Its sound with the VC is phenomenal. I can highly recommend it. It is worthy of an audition, for sure. That said, given Zach's amazing talent and given my 100% positive experience with his products, there's no way in hell I'd ever discourage anyone from getting a Pendant. I haven't heard it but I'd like to. The cynical audiophile in me normally wouldn't say this about almost anyone else in audio, but I'll say it about Zach: If he made it (the Pendant) then it pretty much has to be great.
TBH that is one of the reasons I’m attracted to the pendant. In the past I’ve had big 2 channel systems, tube pre, tube phono and SET monoblocks and was constantly focused on which tubes sound best for different types of music. That rolling tube obsession really diminished the enjoyment of the music and I don’t want go down that rabbit hole again. For the past six months I’ve been focused on clarity and transparency which has led me to the focal utopia’s. I am a live music guy so that was a WRONG TURN as I found the focal utopia to be the most inaccurate headphone I have ever listened to. I understand why people like The x-ray view into the mastering of the music but, to me, the Utopia sounds nothing like an actual musical instrument. It provided a stunning detailed view but a sterile and non-emotional connection to the music. That’s why I’m excited to get the VC. I want to get back to the emotional instead of the analytical.
You'll have to decide for yourself, but in the opinion of many (myself included, albeit based on limited listening to the Utopia), the Verite Closed captures the speed and resolution of the Utopia without any of the stridency--and with WAY better bass.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #3,932 of 12,423
That’s my feeling regarding Zach and his ear for sound. Very impressed with every opportunity I’ve had to listen to a ZMF headphone but I was headed in the other direction with what I thought I wanted. I’m the kind of guy who only listens to one headphone at a time and that is the best headphone I have on hand so maybe it’s time to clean out the house. I have 12 headphones but they only gather dust as I move up the ladder. I really enjoyed the Focal Clear so I thought the Utopia would be the answer but metallic stridency ruled the day. At this point i’m considering selling everything and building a ZMF system around the vérité woody. (Well almost everything as you would have to pry the MODhouse Argons out of my cold dead hands as there is nothing on the planet that can do what they do when watching TV and movies)

My current plan:
Chord Qutest > ZMF Pendant > 2K copper > Woody
Just FYI, after demoing numerous DACs, both R2R and AKM... IMO the Qutest is an exceptional piece of hardware.

Do you think the 2K is the way to go with the cable? I see a lot of Draug 3SC lashed to the Woody.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #3,933 of 12,423
That’s my feeling regarding Zach and his ear for sound...........Do you think the 2K is the way to go with the cable? I see a lot of Draug 3SC lashed to the Woody.

Confession time: I did absolutely no serious research when I decided to upgrade my cables. My first upgrade was Zack’s Verite silver cable to replace the stock cable for my HiFiMAN HE1000. This seems to be better than the stock cable in every way including the bass response. I never even bothered to go back and compare the stock cable on the HE1000.
I was so impressed with that cable that I got the 2K copper cable as an upgrade a priori when I ordered the Verite Closed. Honestly I didn’t bother comparing other cables. For one thing I don’t really wanna go through the hassle of doing an extensive A-B comparison with a bunch of expensive cables. More importantly, I trust Zach. I not only trust his ear but I also trust his ability to implement what he hears into the objects that he produces. I’ve never been disappointed. In fact the silver cables in the HE1000 headphones performed above my expectations. With the 2K copper cable at this point the VC sound essentially perfect, at least to me. I certainly don’t see how anyone could go wrong with them but there’s a big caveat, which is that I haven’t tried any other cables (except his stock cable, also very good). And guess what--I have no intention whatsoever of doing so.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #3,934 of 12,423
Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #3,935 of 12,423
p.s. You’re going to absolutely love the VC. There are every bit as good as monsterzero and others have said that they are. If you get a chance you should read the Verite review by Josh Mound on audiophilestyle.com.

Yeah, I saw monsterzero's review and was very impressed by it. I also had owned a couple of ZMF headphones that I absolutely loved.
So I bought the headphone without hearing it, but I also had quite a few others tell me about it and all I heard was very positive.
I get up early every morning and need closed backs so I don't bother the wife, who is still sleeping.
The cans sound so good I have been listening to them when I don't need to wear closed headphones.
The ZMF VC is definitely one of the best headphones that I have ever heard. Then add in that the build quality is impeccable, and that Bevin and Zach are some of the nicest people that you could ever hope to deal with.

Lately I have been hooked on listening to them with my SET amp and the sound quality is fantastic...so spacious and detailed.
Thanks Bevin & Zach...my music has never sounded better and brings me much joy.
DSC04544.JPG

DSC04702.JPG

DSC04720.JPG

Nov 10, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #3,936 of 12,423
That’s my feeling regarding Zach and his ear for sound. Very impressed with every opportunity I’ve had to listen to a ZMF headphone but I was headed in the other direction with what I thought I wanted. I’m the kind of guy who only listens to one headphone at a time and that is the best headphone I have on hand so maybe it’s time to clean out the house. I have 12 headphones but they only gather dust as I move up the ladder. I really enjoyed the Focal Clear so I thought the Utopia would be the answer but metallic stridency ruled the day. At this point i’m considering selling everything and building a ZMF system around the vérité woody. (Well almost everything as you would have to pry the MODhouse Argons out of my cold dead hands as there is nothing on the planet that can do what they do when watching TV and movies)

My current plan:
Chord Qutest > ZMF Pendant > 2K copper > Woody
Just FYI, after demoing numerous DACs, both R2R and AKM... IMO the Qutest is an exceptional piece of hardware.

Do you think the 2K is the way to go with the cable? I see a lot of Draug 3SC lashed to the Woody.

I totally agree on the Qutest. I also love the combo of a Chord Dac + Tube amp.

I haven’t tried that other cable but IMO the 2K copper ZMF cable is the best cable I’ve ever owned. I like a warm signature but the 2K isn’t just slightly warm, it’s also very clear and coherent. The build quality is also top notch (maybe not fancy but the feel of it in your hands is spectacular)

As for the ZMFs, my only advice is to try the Verite Open and Closed if you can. They are both amazing headphones but they are different enough that you will probably prefer one over the other.

Nov 10, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #3,937 of 12,423
Read this entire thread and I want to thank you all for your comments...
I picked up a pair of camphor burl from a guy who just got them, used them for 3 hours and decided he liked his Phi better. Didn’t even break them in!! Boggles my mind....

When I did an an A-B comparison between the Verite Closed (VC) and the HiFiMAN HE1000 (version one), I noticed an ever so subtle, intermittent but sometimes present stridency in the high end of the VC when compared to the HE1000. I hadn't noticed it prior to doing that comparison. I ran the Purist Audio Design System Enhancer Rev-B* through the computer's CD drive and through the rest of the system to the VC headphones. It worked and there's not even a hint of remaining stridency, yet the detail and resolution remain intact and may be even better. Purist Audio Design's latest version is described on their web site. I know it's an expensive CD but to me it was worth it. If the cans you're getting have only three hours (!) on them, then I'd highly recommend** this tweak.

*This particular burning in CD was recommended years ago to me by Dale Pitcher, creator of the fabulous Intuitive Design Summit loudspeakers. At the time he felt this was the best burning in CD available. I don't know if it's better than others or not. I do know that to my ears it has worked in my system, every time I've used over the years, to the best of my recollection.

**I have absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with Purist Audio Design, and was NOT asked by them or anyone else to provide a product recommendation.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #3,938 of 12,423
The opportunity just popped up to pick up a beautifully pre-built bottlehead mainline at a great price. If I buy that instead of the pendant I can keep my master 9 and also use the 9 as a preamp so wont lose my remote control capability. It also has balanced out so I wouldn’t have to change my amazing Wywires red cable. Really leaning in that direction. What do you think of the mainline and the VC combination?

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #3,939 of 12,423
When I did an an A-B comparison between the Verite Closed (VC) and the HiFiMAN HE1000 (version one), I noticed an ever so subtle, intermittent but sometimes present stridency in the high end of the VC when compared to the HE1000. I hadn't noticed it prior to doing that comparison. I ran the Purist Audio Design System Enhancer Rev-B* through the computer's CD drive and through the rest of the system to the VC headphones. It worked and there's not even a hint of remaining stridency, yet the detail and resolution remain intact and may be even better. Purist Audio Design's latest version is described on their web site. I know it's an expensive CD but to me it was worth it. If the cans you're getting have only three hours (!) on them, then I'd highly recommend** this tweak.

*This particular burning in CD was recommended years ago to me by Dale Pitcher, creator of the fabulous Intuitive Design Summit loudspeakers. At the time he felt this was the best burning in CD available. I don't know if it's better than others or not. I do know that to my ears it has worked in my system, every time I've used over the years, to the best of my recollection.

**I have absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with Purist Audio Design, and was NOT asked by them or anyone else to provide a product recommendation.
I am using a streamer and not a computer so that won’t be an option but I’m hoping going for an SET tube amp will reduce any possible stridency. I’m not overly concerned because, coming from the Utopia, anything that doesn’t sound like the instruments are wrapped in tinfoil will be a big improvement 😉

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #3,940 of 12,423
Yeah, I saw monsterzero's review and was very impressed by it. I also had owned a couple of ZMF headphones that I absolutely loved.
So I bought the headphone without hearing it, but I also had quite a few others tell me about it and all I heard was very positive.
I get up early every morning and need closed backs so I don't bother the wife, who is still sleeping.
The cans sound so good I have been listening to them when I don't need to wear closed headphones.
The ZMF VC is definitely one of the best headphones that I have ever heard. Then add in that the build quality is impeccable, and that Bevin and Zach are some of the nicest people that you could ever hope to deal with.

Lately I have been hooked on listening to them with my SET amp and the sound quality is fantastic...so spacious and detailed.
Thanks Bevin & Zach...my music has never sounded better and brings me much joy.

Those are the single most beautiful headphones I have ever seen!

Nov 10, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #3,941 of 12,423
I am using a streamer and not a computer so that won’t be an option but I’m hoping going for an SET tube amp will reduce any possible stridency. I’m not overly concerned because, coming from the Utopia, anything that doesn’t sound like the instruments are wrapped in tinfoil will be a big improvement 😉
You probably already read it in the posts I linked to, but I'll say it again: The stridency was extremely subtle, and I didn't even notice it before doing a critical A-B with the HE1000, which is known to be a smoooooth headphone--too smooth to many people's ears. I'm talking just a wee bit off of perfection, and that's just my own subjective assessment. And to reiterate, it was nothing like what I heard with the Utopia. The consensus on head-fi seems to be that the VC sound great right out of the box but don't reach their full sonic potential until about 200 hours. Coming from the Utopia, I doubt you'll perceive even the tiniest hint of upper end stridency, and with a SET tube amp it should be even less of a concern. And if you have any concerns at all (extremely unlikely), then I'd recommend contacting Zach (of course). The bottom line is this: To me these headphones are essentially perfect sounding, and it seems to me like a lot of other people enthusiastically agree. If you don't absolutely love them I'll eat my shoes. Twice. :relaxed:

Nov 11, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #3,942 of 12,423
You probably already read it in the posts I linked to, but I'll say it again: The stridency was extremely subtle, and I didn't even notice it before doing a critical A-B with the HE1000, which is known to be a smoooooth headphone--too smooth to many people's ears. I'm talking just a wee bit off of perfection, and that's just my own subjective assessment. And to reiterate, it was nothing like what I heard with the Utopia. The consensus on head-fi seems to be that the VC sound great right out of the box but don't reach their full sonic potential until about 200 hours. Coming from the Utopia, I doubt you'll perceive even the tiniest hint of upper end stridency, and with a SET tube amp it should be even less of a concern. And if you have any concerns at all (extremely unlikely), then I'd recommend contacting Zach (of course). The bottom line is this: To me these headphones are essentially perfect sounding, and it seems to me like a lot of other people enthusiastically agree. If you don't absolutely love them I'll eat my shoes. Twice. :relaxed:
I have Utopia and Verite open, just ordered VC. Basic thing with Utopia is to drive it from decent amp,what does not surprise on this price Level. It performs without any issues with my Ayon HA3 equipped with 45 triode. No need to search for anything else. Dreams came true. With Luxman 750mi Sound is really too analytical and that is why I use it when listening to reel-to-reel tapes, for recording evaluation. So I can recommend tube amp for Utopia imho. As for Verite open there is equal pleasure listening to both amps, sound is fantastic. Liquid balanced tonality of VO is remarkable. I can't wait for VC. It will be used when my Wife wil go to sleep, not to disturb her.

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #3,944 of 12,423
Has anyone found a more compact case to hold their VC? I am thinking something that would provide some moderate protection, but let you carry them in a backpack without too much issue. I feel like I saw one quite a while ago in this thread, but wasn't able to find it.

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #3,945 of 12,423
Has anyone found a more compact case to hold their VC? I am thinking something that would provide some moderate protection, but let you carry them in a backpack without too much issue. I feel like I saw one quite a while ago in this thread, but wasn't able to find it.

I use this one. The VC fits snugly and I can comfortably carry it in my backpack.

Slappa Full-Sized duro-shock xEVA... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075S1HDJQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

21D45E21-772C-4940-A3AA-2E315E4C7FFC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back