ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 4, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #3,106 of 12,429
There's quite a few solid options around the $1k mark if you want to start there and work your way up.

It also depends on what kind of tube amp and sound you're looking for. Do you want to tube roll a lot? Do you want a cleaner, more neutral sound or something much more lush and "tube" sounding?

Not sure I’ll want to tube roll a lot (assuming I understand the term correctly). I’d lean more towards neutral but with some lushness.

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #3,107 of 12,429
Not sure I’ll want to tube roll a lot (assuming I understand the term correctly). I’d lean more towards neutral but with some lushness.
FYI - not sure if you can get a Pendant in the UK. You might want to check out other options like the Feliks audio amps.

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #3,108 of 12,429
FYI - not sure if you can get a Pendant in the UK. You might want to check out other options like the Feliks audio amps.

Thanks - I’ll do some investigations. Seems like there is a company that sells them not far from London and they may do a home demo (which would be perfect). Also, thanks again for that playlist - I discovered the Aparde album from included song and I absolutely love it!

Jul 4, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #3,109 of 12,429
Thanks - I’ll do some investigations. Seems like there is a company that sells them not far from London and they may do a home demo (which would be perfect). Also, thanks again for that playlist - I discovered the Aparde album from included song and I absolutely love it!
Not exact to your situation but Feliks Elise driving my ZMF Auteur is fantastic together and tube rolling keeps me happy when I'm looking for a new flavor. A great amp. manufacturer for the best headphone maker.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #3,110 of 12,429
Out of interest, I've been going over comments in Youtube vids to see what people have been saying about the VC lately. It made me realise that reviews on Youtube as well as comments from viewers have been very pro Eikon suede pads, whereas comments here have been (exclusively, I think?) discouraging of the combination. I'd have expected a mix of opinions on each platform but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. It's certainly piqued my interest in trying them for myself soon!

Jul 5, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #3,111 of 12,429
Probably the influence of Zeos review on Youtube. I personally have more faith in what ZMF/Zach considers the best pad for the VC, and that is not the Eikon suede.
Ultimately, decisions are best based on personal experience, so by all means, give em a go! :)

Jul 5, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #3,112 of 12,429
Well, I was looking for some Stellia headphones and unexpectedly, I am now making a trade with @ninjashark121 for a set of ZMF Verite Closed Leopardwood. Thanks @ninjashark121 :gs1000smile:

I currently have and RME ADI-2 dac/amp and a Sony TA-ZH1ES. I hope one of these can drive the Verite's satisfactorily. I've started reading this thread, and it sounds like a tube amp may be in my future. I may have to bug this experienced group with recommendation as I've never had a tube amp. I have a lot to learn...

I've started reading this thread. Thanks to all the folks who have posted. There is a lot of good info here.

Jul 5, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #3,113 of 12,429
Probably the influence of Zeos review on Youtube. I personally have more faith in what ZMF/Zach considers the best pad for the VC, and that is not the Eikon suede.
Ultimately, decisions are best based on personal experience, so by all means, give em a go! :)

DMS also recommended them and he usually has a pretty good ear. I personally didn't like them at all, but in general I don't really like pure suede pads on either the VC or VO. I'm reviewing two suede sets for my upcoming VO pad comparison and I feel they alter the VO's sound a little too much. Some people might like that however, so I can see the large differences in opinion.

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #3,114 of 12,429
This is the salient point in the discussion, IMO - your pads of choice are entirely subjective. The pads may inherently alter the sound, minute or otherwise; however, since each individual's head varies in shape and size, the pads will conform and react differently, thus producing distinct and unique results.

Jul 6, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #3,115 of 12,429
Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered a set without ever having heard Verite Closed (or the open, for that matter). I normally wouldn't buy headphones at that price point without first listening to them. There are several reasons why I did so:

1. Monsterzero's review;
2. My past experience with Zach Mehrbach, both in listening to his headphones way back in August of 2015 and with the ZMF Verite Silver hybrid cable I purchased for my HiFiMAN HE-1000 headphones, which are amazing so far (not even fully burned in yet);
3. The epic audiophilestyle review written by Josh Mound;
4. Helpful and well thought out posts by so many Head-Fi members, and some private messages as well.

So I've joined the ranks of others who've taken the plunge, including, but of course not limited to:
Monsterzero
Heliosphann
Klmahnn
Wildcatsare1
Lmusicman
Bryceu
Karnicopia
Malevolent
SteveM324
Ciggavelli
Maszynista1987
TonyNewman
Josh Mound (he ordered and received a pair of Verite Closed after returning his review set; he has also ordered a pair of Verite Open headphones)

.....and so many, many others.........:headphones::slight_smile:

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #3,116 of 12,429
Well, I was looking for some Stellia headphones and unexpectedly, I am now making a trade with @ninjashark121 for a set of ZMF Verite Closed Leopardwood. Thanks @ninjashark121 :gs1000smile:

I currently have and RME ADI-2 dac/amp and a Sony TA-ZH1ES. I hope one of these can drive the Verite's satisfactorily. I've started reading this thread, and it sounds like a tube amp may be in my future. I may have to bug this experienced group with recommendation as I've never had a tube amp. I have a lot to learn...

I've started reading this thread. Thanks to all the folks who have posted. There is a lot of good info here.
Isn't ninjashark121 a scammer now? Be careful man... (ninjashark121 is adamant he isn't, hope this gets cleared up!)

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #3,117 of 12,429
Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered a set without ever having heard Verite Closed (or the open, for that matter). I normally wouldn't buy headphones at that price point without first listening to them. There are several reasons why I did so:

1. Monsterzero's review;
2. My past experience with Zach Mehrbach, both in listening to his headphones way back in August of 2015 and with the ZMF Verite Silver hybrid cable I purchased for my HiFiMAN HE-1000 headphones, which are amazing so far (not even fully burned in yet);
3. The epic audiophilestyle review written by Josh;
4. Helpful and well thought out posts by so many Head-Fi members, and some private messages as well.

So I've joined the ranks of others who've taken the plunge, including, but of course not limited to:
Monsterzero,
Wildcatsare1
Karnicopia
Malevolent
SteveM324
Ciggavelli
Maszynista1987
TonyNewman

.....and so many, many others.........:headphones::slight_smile:
I'm the cautious type, too - I wouldn't buy stuff unless I have personally tested them. This is especially relevant for products that provide a thoroughly subjective experience, such as headphones. Nevertheless, I am confident that you will enjoy the Vérité Closed. :)

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #3,118 of 12,429

As @wishbon3 has pointed out, the user ninjashark appears to have concluded a separate deal with another member of the forum for the same Vérité Closed Leopardwood. I hope that this is all a gross misunderstanding; however, you should contact the user to enquire further. Good luck!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #3,119 of 12,429
As @wishbon3 has pointed out, the user ninjashark appears to have concluded a separate deal with another member of the forum for the same Vérité Closed Leopardwood. I hope that this is all a gross misunderstanding; however, you should contact the user to enquire further. Good luck!
He did a similar thing with a Klipsch HP-3 headphone on reddit. Listed it, sold it, took paypal money, relisted it at higher price, was confronted, said it was a mistake, and the original purchaser got his headphones (I confirmed this weekend). It's all a very shady way of doing business. https://www.reddit.com/r/AVexchange/comments/h8uljq/wts_usoh_hd800s_klipsch_hp3_fiio_fh7_xduuo_ta20/

Jul 6, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #3,120 of 12,429
Isn't ninjashark121 a scammer now? Be careful man... (ninjashark121 is adamant he isn't, hope this gets cleared up!)
He did a similar thing with a Klipsch HP-3 headphone on reddit. Listed it, sold it, took paypal money, relisted it at higher price, was confronted, said it was a mistake, and the original purchaser got his headphones (I confirmed this weekend). It's all a very shady way of doing business. https://www.reddit.com/r/AVexchange/comments/h8uljq/wts_usoh_hd800s_klipsch_hp3_fiio_fh7_xduuo_ta20/
Thanks for the information and warnings.

I became aware of this last night. It could be a big scam although this seller has a good trading history on Reddit. The other potential victim and I, are working with the seller (potential scammer). So far he is saying the right things. I hope he makes things right and does this immediately. I would prefer to be enjoying the music and helping clean up his reputation on the audio boards.

In short, he should have packages in the mail today, and in our hands by Wednesday. Otherwise I will be getting the authorities involved. If he has been acting in good faith, there is no reason that both headphones aren't delivered by Wednesday.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back