ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jun 17, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #2,941 of 12,429
I love my VC. As much as a headphone can, it is good with any genre. I think the VC has a bit more slam/ kick in the bass department than the VO.

#potential-heresy While I love hip-hop, I find most revealing gear is not kind to hip-hop. It is often low dynamic range, compressed, sounds good out of a mobile phone speaker, etc.. The best gear shows the blemishes often and makes me not want to hear it. As my gear has evolved, it has influenced what I want to listen to more, and I am more selective on the production quality. There are, of course, exceptions and well produced hip-hop. That said, here is some hip-hop!

AMEN! I have that same issue with the Metal genre. It's predominately poor production quality as well, and the VC is just too revealing of it to really enjoy. The Atticus does a decent job of smoothing over the worst of the blemishes, but even then i'm still always reminded how bad the production is. Call me crazy, but for metal enjoyment, I just grab my Koss Porta Pro! best $30 i've ever spent, no joke. plug it into my Dragonfly Red and i'm in metal heaven!

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #2,942 of 12,429
Thanks for the input guys.. It looks like the eikon might be the better option for rap/edm for me. I do want to try out the VC but it sucks there isn't any kind of b stock to try out an return if it isn't liked. The eikon cost a bit less so I might go this route but let's see because I really want the VC lol
Depending on where you live you might be able to hook up with other ZMF owners in your area. Or if you're close to Chicago, Zach is there and is the most gracious guy i've ever encountered in audio, he's undoubtedly let you demo them all. Don't discount the Atticus/Eikon as lesser models. They're cheaper yes, and give up some technical ability to the Verite models. But that doesn't diminish the potential enjoyment you might get depending on your inherent sonic preferences. IMO tonal preferences are more important than technical ability. Now if your tonal preferences also match the model with the highest technical merits, that's a win win.

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #2,943 of 12,429
Depending on where you live you might be able to hook up with other ZMF owners in your area. Or if you're close to Chicago, Zach is there and is the most gracious guy i've ever encountered in audio, he's undoubtedly let you demo them all. Don't discount the Atticus/Eikon as lesser models. They're cheaper yes, and give up some technical ability to the Verite models. But that doesn't diminish the potential enjoyment you might get depending on your inherent sonic preferences. IMO tonal preferences are more important than technical ability. Now if your tonal preferences also match the model with the highest technical merits, that's a win win.

I live in northern California so it might be a bit hard. I have no doubt about one thing an that's zmf owners are some of the nicest people you can ever use the term fan boy on :)

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #2,944 of 12,429
Thanks for the input guys.. It looks like the eikon might be the better option for rap/edm for me. I do want to try out the VC but it sucks there isn't any kind of b stock to try out an return if it isn't liked. The eikon cost a bit less so I might go this route but let's see because I really want the VC lol
ZMF headphones have good resale value just in case you don't like them. However its highly unlikely

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #2,947 of 12,429
Just moved up to sac from the bay :)
Did the opposite 10yrs years ago :)

Once this shelter in place is lifted, you're always welcomed to head to the bay and try out the VC/VO.

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #2,948 of 12,429
AMEN! I have that same issue with the Metal genre. It's predominately poor production quality as well, and the VC is just too revealing of it to really enjoy. The Atticus does a decent job of smoothing over the worst of the blemishes, but even then i'm still always reminded how bad the production is. Call me crazy, but for metal enjoyment, I just grab my Koss Porta Pro! best $30 i've ever spent, no joke. plug it into my Dragonfly Red and i'm in metal heaven!
There's some discussion on another website about player software, HQ Player, that has apodizing filters designed to correct deficiencies in the recording. I use HQ Player and love it, but I'm definitely no expert on apodizing verus non-apodizing filters, just sharing this info., FWIW.

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #2,949 of 12,429
There's some discussion on another website about player software, HQ Player, that has apodizing filters designed to correct deficiencies in the recording. I use HQ Player and love it, but I'm definitely no expert on apodizing verus non-apodizing filters, just sharing this info., FWIW.
Thank you for the head's up i'll definitely check it out. Anything to better my metal is worth a look :wink:

Jun 17, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #2,953 of 12,429
Hey guys how are the Verite closed for hip hop and rap? Would the closed be better or open for this genre of music?

I'd say overall the VC's would probably be better in general for hip-hop/rap. However, I found the BE2 Hybrid pads on the VO's give them a very nice low end boost and a lift in the upper-mids/presence region. Found them great for pop, electronic and hip-hop.

Jun 17, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #2,954 of 12,429
While we're on the topic... I realise this definitely won't be to many people's tastes but I just put the Universe pads on the VC and threw this track on:

(Youtube version has annoying vinyl rip pops sorry!)

Subs are coming out very nicely :darthsmile:. Honestly as revealing as the VC is, I can't recall a time where it was over exposing flaws to the point I couldn't listen anymore. And most of the stuff I listen to is trash by audiophile standards lol. Sure you can hear flaws but I can accept that for the most part as the FR is much more forgiving than say with a HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back