ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Apr 10, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #2,461 of 12,461
Another happy Vérité Closed customer checking in. I've been listing to these all day and night for about a week and have been enjoying every minute.

Final Edit.jpg

They scale beautifully - most of my listening's been on a Crack but I switched over the the Elekit TU-8600 and the detail and holographic soundstage just keeps on reaching deeper.

I settled on the Eikon Suede pads over the two lambskin pads that come with it - I generally have a preference for suede anyway - they give a kind of "treated room" feel to headphones. Bass remains strong and punchy, mids are creamy and alluring and the treble remains smooth and airy. These really are the real deal, a closed back that easily sits side by side with the best open backs in the world.

I got these from Acorn Audio in the UK - just wanted to say thanks to Aamer for going the extra mile to get me these, thank you sir!

Apr 10, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #2,462 of 12,461
These are one of the two on my "wanted" list. I haven't heard these yet but I've rolled the dice before and it has worked out for me. There's just been too many positive things said about these and the open version for me to think that there is a risk involved. But I am not quite ready to buy at this time unless an offer that I cannot refuse were presented to me and I do not see that happening. So I'm just going to keep following in this thread for now.

@baseonmars congrats on those beautiful headphones! When I first saw photos of them, it almost made me buy them blind.

Apr 10, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #2,463 of 12,461
As a VC owner, it started to get to me that my memory of owning Atticus/Eikon was so distant and hazy, and I got curious how much of an improvement I would find the VC to be over the Att/Eik with my current tastes and expectations. I was wondering if I'd be able to convince myself to let the VC go just to downsize and save some cash. Well.... now I think I'm a permanent owner of an Atticus and a VC. :rolling_eyes: So now I refuse to try bringing an Eikon into the mix for comparison. Edit: Strangely, while I'm not level-matching to say this for certain: I think I might actually hear the Atticus as being a tad brighter. (With the "warm" pads on both sets)

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #2,464 of 12,461
As a VC owner, it started to get to me that my memory of owning Atticus/Eikon was so distant and hazy, and I got curious how much of an improvement I would find the VC to be over the Att/Eik with my current tastes and expectations. I was wondering if I'd be able to convince myself to let the VC go just to downsize and save some cash. Well.... now I think I'm a permanent owner of an Atticus and a VC. :rolling_eyes: So now I refuse to try bringing an Eikon into the mix for comparison. Edit: Strangely, while I'm not level-matching to say this for certain: I think I might actually hear the Atticus as being a tad brighter. (With the "warm" pads on both sets)

Can you elaborate on the differences between the Atticus and VC? If the Atticus is a tad brighter as you say, is that a good thing?

Apr 10, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #2,465 of 12,461
Just out of interest, I am really happy with the Verite closed and it had eliminated the need for any other headphone at home and I use it for everything.
However I wonder what IEM’s the other VC users are fond of? I haven’t quite found a comfortable IEM that sounds like the VC (I realize IEM won’t be able to sound exactly or as bold as the full size headphones can obviously) but I mean a similar signature and tuning.

I'm not hugely experienced in the IEM market, but part of the reason for that is that the JH Angie nails my preferences so well I feel no need to even keep looking and trying anything else. With full-sized headphones I wasn't happy until I had done quite a bit of testing and comparisons. I was in love with the HD800's soundstage immediately, but it took weeks of tinkering, trying different amps, modifying them, and learning how to EQ to get them where I like them most. With the Angie, it's like, nope, this is it. Crinacle hates them, and he's the guy everyone goes to for IEM info, so my tastes might not be representative. I definitely don't hear them as 'neutral.' There's a specific kind of warmth to them that I don't know how to liken to anything else, to the point that it sounds like everything has been put through some kind of unique filter. It makes vocals incredible. I'd take it over an LCD-3 because it nails a take on warmth that's just as flavorful, without being so dark and having the touch of 'mud' that the 3 does.

Can you elaborate on the differences between the Atticus and VC? If the Atticus is a tad brighter as you say, is that a good thing?

I'm really terrible at giving the typical audiophile descriptions. And if I'm being honest I really feel suspicious most people don't actually know what they're talking about when they try to use most of these adjectives anyway. It's just too easy to get caught up in fancy prose and not be sure what any of it means. How you hear things changes so much from day to day, with random stuff like atmospheric pressure changes, or even slight dehydration or how much serotonin you got from the carbs in your last meal. I can describe my personal experience so far though, with the caveat that this is just indulgent autobiography and not science.

Going quickly from the VC to the Atticus, my first impression is "yeah, this sounds great to me, it's just a different flavor." Going quickly from the Atticus to the VC, my first impression is the same: "yeah, sounds great to me, it's just a different flavor." But after adjusting to the VC with a long listen and then going back to the Atticus, it's really clear the VC is on a different plane. I feel like there's something I'm missing, which I don't coming from a long listen with the Atticus and going back to VC. I guess that's a good measurement for how "refined" something is, when it takes subconscious adjustment to feel the full impact of it. I can't analyze this to any specific detail, and I feel like that makes it more valid rather than less. I thought it might be related to the upper extension, but EQ'ing sub and 10kHz< on the Atticus doesn't change it. The VC just comes across as being more.... holistic? It's almost like the Atticus has slightly more "stage," but that's because there are gaps inserted between things rather than the butter being spread further. Keep in mind I still own the first HD800 I ever bought.

It's obvious I'd keep the VC if I could only own one, but I like having a few different things to change things up with. The two are different enough to renew my engagement with the music after a switch, but not so different that it's jarring like going back and forth between an HD800 and an LCD3, which I did for a long time lol. I've decided if I ever need to downsize for emergency cash, I could happily live with the Atticus, I'm not spoiled enough and it's not weak enough that I'd be miserable doing that. For comparison, I wouldn't feel that way about an LCD2 or HD6xx line. I ran that test on myself before too and it was disappointing, I resold them pretty fast. I wouldn't advise owning both to anyone, but it's sure as hell more plausible than something like owning both an LCD3 and 4 IMO. As you go from LCD-2 to 4 it's just unequivocal upgrades in my book, and that isn't exactly the case here, there's some "upgrade" and some "difference."

I'm sensitive to a little bit of shout on the VC with some of the extreme metal I listen to, so I use a very minimal EQ. It's literally a decibel added to the bass with a decibel taken off 2550, and half a decibel taken off 5750 and 8000. As small as it is it really makes a world of difference, they go from occasionally uncomfortable at the volume I like (keep in I'm talking stuff like Meshuggah here) to perfect. The Atticus hits the unique thing it does without any adjustments, but feels more like a coloration than a different take on music representation. The brightness... man, the only thing I can find on Crinacle's graph that could possibly explain it is the Atticus has more volume at 14kHz-or-so. It would be ridiculous to call it "V-shaped" but I feel like that's the direction it takes the tone for me, so I guess I hear it as bassier but also a touch less relaxing.

Zach is probably reading this and thinking he's glad he never let me do a real review :darthsmile:

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #2,466 of 12,461
I'm not hugely experienced in the IEM market, but part of the reason for that is that the JH Angie nails my preferences so well I feel no need to even keep looking and trying anything else. With full-sized headphones I wasn't happy until I had done quite a bit of testing and comparisons. I was in love with the HD800's soundstage immediately, but it took weeks of tinkering, trying different amps, modifying them, and learning how to EQ to get them where I like them most. With the Angie, it's like, nope, this is it. Crinacle hates them, and he's the guy everyone goes to for IEM info, so my tastes might not be representative. I definitely don't hear them as 'neutral.' There's a specific kind of warmth to them that I don't know how to liken to anything else, to the point that it sounds like everything has been put through some kind of unique filter. It makes vocals incredible. I'd take it over an LCD-3 because it nails a similar kind of warmth without being so dark and having the touch of 'mud' that the 3 does.

I'm really terrible at giving the typical audiophile descriptions. And if I'm being honest I really feel suspicious most people don't actually know what they're talking about when they try to use most of these adjectives anyway. It's just too easy to get caught up in fancy prose and not be sure what any of it means. How you hear things changes so much from day to day, with random stuff like atmospheric pressure changes, or even slight dehydration or how much serotonin you got from the carbs in your last meal. I can describe my personal experience so far though, with the caveat that this is just indulgent autobiography and not science.

Going quickly from the VC to the Atticus, my first impression is "yeah, this sounds great to me, it's just a different flavor." Going quickly from the Atticus to the VC, my first impression is the same: "yeah, sounds great to me, it's just a different flavor." But after adjusting to the VC with a long listen and then going back to the Atticus, it's really clear the VC is on a different plane. I feel like there's something I'm missing, which I don't coming from a long listen with the Atticus and going back to VC. I guess that's a good measurement for how "refined" something is, when it takes subconscious adjustment to feel the full impact of it. I can't analyze this to any specific detail, and I feel like that makes it more valid rather than less. I thought it might be related to the upper extension, but EQ'ing sub and 10kHz< on the Atticus doesn't change it. The VC just comes across as being more.... holistic? It's almost like the Atticus has slightly more "stage," but that's because there are gaps inserted between things rather than the butter being spread further. Keep in mind I still own the first HD800 I ever bought.

It's obvious I'd keep the VC if I could only own one, but I like having a few different things to change things up with. The two are different enough to renew my engagement with the music after a switch, but not so different that it's jarring like going back and forth between an HD800 and an LCD3, which I did for a long time lol. I've decided if I ever need to downsize for emergency cash, I could happily live with the Atticus, I'm not spoiled enough and it's not weak enough that I'd be miserable doing that. For comparison, I wouldn't feel that way about an LCD2 or HD6xx line. I ran that test on myself before too and it was disappointing, I resold them pretty fast. I wouldn't advise owning both to anyone, but it's sure as hell more plausible than something like owning both an LCD3 and 4 IMO. As you go from LCD-2 to 4 it's just unequivocal upgrades in my book, and that isn't exactly the case here, there's some "upgrade" and some "difference."

I'm sensitive to a little bit of shout on the VC with some of the extreme metal I listen to, so I use a very minimal EQ. It's literally a decibel added to the bass with a decibel taken off 2550, and half a decibel taken off 5750 and 8000. As small as it is it really makes a world of difference, they go from occasionally uncomfortable at the volume I like (keep in I'm talking stuff like Meshuggah here) to perfect. The Atticus hits the unique thing it does without any adjustments, but feels more like a coloration than a different take on music representation. The brightness... man, the only thing I can find on Crinacle's graph that could possibly explain it is the Atticus has more volume at 14kHz-or-so. It would be ridiculous to call it "V-shaped" but I feel like that's the direction it takes the tone for me, so I guess I hear it as bassier but also a touch less relaxing.

Zach is probably reading this and thinking he's glad he never let me do a real review :darthsmile:
Thank you for the detailed response. I heard the Atticus at Axpona a few years ago and I really liked it. However, it was a short 5 minute listen in a show atmosphere so I don’t even trust my own impressions under those conditions. I recall hearing a liquid midrange and non-fatiguing highs that really got me interested in ZMF headphones. Since then I’ve purchased the VO about a year ago and I have an Aeolus on order.

Apr 10, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #2,467 of 12,461
I'm really late to the party, but here's some pics of my Verite Closed MonkeyPod I received last month, sitting next to my Verite Cocobolo.

I'm still developing my opinions on the Verite Closed vs the Verite Open, but the VC has had me reaching for it more often as of the last week. The VC + metal genres is bliss.

IMG_8877.jpgIMG_8871.jpgIMG_8873.jpgIMG_8854(1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8874.jpg
    IMG_8874.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #2,468 of 12,461
Another happy Vérité Closed customer checking in. I've been listing to these all day and night for about a week and have been enjoying every minute.

Final Edit.jpg

They scale beautifully - most of my listening's been on a Crack but I switched over the the Elekit TU-8600 and the detail and holographic soundstage just keeps on reaching deeper.

I settled on the Eikon Suede pads over the two lambskin pads that come with it - I generally have a preference for suede anyway - they give a kind of "treated room" feel to headphones. Bass remains strong and punchy, mids are creamy and alluring and the treble remains smooth and airy. These really are the real deal, a closed back that easily sits side by side with the best open backs in the world.

I got these from Acorn Audio in the UK - just wanted to say thanks to Aamer for going the extra mile to get me these, thank you sir!

Similarly, I think the Eikon hybrid pads are now my favorite on the VC.

I’m tempted to buy the Eikon Suedes but trying not to go overboard with pads right now.

Apr 10, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #2,469 of 12,461
Swapped in the hybrid auteur pads after a few weeks with the universe pads.

Universe: have a great sound, a little more bass thump, a little narrower stage.
Hybrid auteurs: open the head stage a bit, give a bit less thump, making space for mids/ upper range to shine a bit more.

I love the variety. Typically after a pad swap, I will roll tubes over a few days to compliment them.

Even though my pictures always look the same, I'm going to share 'em anyhow!

20200410_092402.jpg

Listening to:

I hope you are all safe and sound, doing the best you can. At least we all have these lovely sound-companions.

Beautiful setup (and hella nice tune)

Apr 10, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #2,470 of 12,461
I'll post a pic when I can.. but just received these in Blue Ash wood. Absolutely a TOTL headphone. They sound really good.. and that's just out of the Hugo 2 amp while waiting for headamp GSX Mini to arrive. I'll definitely come back once I have the amp to add real impressions. For now, loving the contrast against the electrostat headphones I have.

Apr 10, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #2,471 of 12,461
Thank you for the detailed response. I heard the Atticus at Axpona a few years ago and I really liked it. However, it was a short 5 minute listen in a show atmosphere so I don’t even trust my own impressions under those conditions. I recall hearing a liquid midrange and non-fatiguing highs that really got me interested in ZMF headphones. Since then I’ve purchased the VO about a year ago and I have an Aeolus on order.

A glaring hole that still remains in my audiophile experience credential is that I've actually still yet to hear a ZMF open-back. The closed sets sound open enough that I have a hard time imagining them not being worth the added isolation though. I own an Atticus and a VC right now, God forbid I end up with 6 ZMFs.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #2,472 of 12,461
Yep, same thing I hear. The Atticus with certain pads are actually brighter than the VC. Especially with the Ori suede pads.

I'm really late to the party, but here's some pics of my Verite Closed MonkeyPod I received last month, sitting next to my Verite Cocobolo.

I'm still developing my opinions on the Verite Closed vs the Verite Open, but the VC has had me reaching for it more often as of the last week. The VC + metal genres is bliss.

IMG_8877.jpgIMG_8871.jpgIMG_8873.jpgIMG_8854(1).jpg
What a beautiful pair of ZMF’s you have!!!

Apr 10, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #2,473 of 12,461
I guess it's delivery day for VCs. Got mine too. I think they look really nice(Thanks Zach!!!). I also like it because it's nice and light!

Congratulations, I'm so happy you picked up a pair, I'm looking forward to reading your impressions!

On another note, I responded to PM from another Head-Fier asking me to compare the VC and VO, and I wanted to share some of my responses here on the Thread. As I've written before, with the VC and VO in the house (Hugo2>WA5>Norne SC3-C), I'm genuinely At a place, I haven't been since I got into this crazy hobby. I have zero interest in any other headphone, I've gone from Grados, HD800, HE560, HE6se, Clear, Utopia, Abyss 1266, the combination of the VO, VC, has all of my musical bases covered.

The VO is my go-to headphone for Classical, Opera, Big Band Jazz, or any music where I prefer a slightly more open, relaxed sound, with a vast soundstage, to my ears superior to the HD800. I know those are fighting words in some corners, so a brief explanation. I find the VO’s soundstage more realistic and natural. With far better tonality, bass and imaging. Probably the closest to this combination is the Abyss, but far more user friendly, and not continually churning with new (expensive) modifications.

The VC is by a wide margin (in my opinion ), the best headphone available for rock and jazz. The impact is an addicting attribute, listening to Ginger Baker, on any of Cream’s recordings is a spiritual event. I can't think of a better way to spend my COVID-19 quarantine! Though impact is only part of their sonic excellence, they do all this while always remaining musical, no painful treble, always remaining true to the music, a bit more upfront, on the soundstage (compared to the VO), and perhaps, sharper images on that stage. ”Tales of Brave Ulysses” (I'm on a Cream binge), Just flows, the foundation provided by Baker/Bruce, and presented with a ”clarity” for want of a better word, hearing the drum stick and the skin interacting to make music. With Clapton’s Strat soaring, all wrapped in incredible music, so much more than a trio could produce!

Apr 10, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #2,474 of 12,461
Congratulations, I'm so happy you picked up a pair, I'm looking forward to reading your impressions!

On another note, I responded to PM from another Head-Fier asking me to compare the VC and VO, and I wanted to share some of my responses here on the Thread. As I've written before, with the VC and VO in the house (Hugo2>WA5>Norne SC3-C), I'm genuinely At a place, I haven't been since I got into this crazy hobby. I have zero interest in any other headphone, I've gone from Grados, HD800, HE560, HE6se, Clear, Utopia, Abyss 1266, the combination of the VO, VC, has all of my musical bases covered.

The VO is my go-to headphone for Classical, Opera, Big Band Jazz, or any music where I prefer a slightly more open, relaxed sound, with a vast soundstage, to my ears superior to the HD800. I know those are fighting words in some corners, so a brief explanation. I find the VO’s soundstage more realistic and natural. With far better tonality, bass and imaging. Probably the closest to this combination is the Abyss, but far more user friendly, and not continually churning with new (expensive) modifications.

The VC is by a wide margin (in my opinion ), the best headphone available for rock and jazz. The impact is an addicting attribute, listening to Ginger Baker, on any of Cream’s recordings is a spiritual event. I can't think of a better way to spend my COVID-19 quarantine! Though impact is only part of their sonic excellence, they do all this while always remaining musical, no painful treble, always remaining true to the music, a bit more upfront, on the soundstage (compared to the VO), and perhaps, sharper images on that stage. ”Tales of Brave Ulysses” (I'm on a Cream binge), Just flows, the foundation provided by Baker/Bruce, and presented with a ”clarity” for want of a better word, hearing the drum stick and the skin interacting to make music. With Clapton’s Strat soaring, all wrapped in incredible music, so much more than a trio could produce!

:thumbsup: Very nice.

Like I mentioned in my comparison (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-verite-closed-new-closed-back-zmf-flagship.911505/post-15402214) there's definitely room to own both a VO and a VC!

Apr 10, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #2,475 of 12,461

Good to hear your impressions of the VO and VC. You have some great gear there. I always wanted to hear the WA5 and see how much of an improvement over the WA22 it is. Like Cream, even though I don’t go back quite that far, but as a guitarist I love some Clapton. Would have liked to have seen that reunion in person.
:thumbsup: Very nice.

Like I mentioned in my comparison (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-verite-closed-new-closed-back-zmf-flagship.911505/post-15402214) there's definitely room to own both a VO and a VC!
That’s the problem for my wallet and my kids. Both the VO and the VC can be keepers. Heck, my youngest daughter has already gotten on my case. There goes daddy with his $2,000 headphones and I can’t have...........???

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back