ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Feb 13, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #2,161 of 12,461
When @Fastnbulbous mentioned to me he was getting a Leopard wood VC,I was like...WOW! Thats gonna look(and sound) killer!
The photos do not disappoint!

Yes, after Monster (the devil in my left ear?) persuaded me to switch my order to VC, Zach kindly mentioned I could do Leopardwood. Now that it's announced/launched, I can openly talk about it. Looking forward to it, and I will share a full review as soon as possible!

Feb 13, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #2,162 of 12,461
Yes, after Monster (the devil in my left ear?)
headphone-demon-head-logo-headphone-demon-head-logo-vector-illustration-graphic-149988198.jpg

Geez I look so much younger in photos!

Feb 14, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #2,163 of 12,461
Get yourself a nice solid state amp as a backup / alternate. Something like a Headamp Mini (Or GS-X Mk2 if your budget allows). VC and VO do very well from high end SS amps. My 300B amp does do a better job than my GS-X Mk2 in some respects with the VC and VO, but there is not much in it.

Other issue is heat - my 300B throws out a lot of heat. Not good in the summer without AC, so the SS gear takes over until the weather cools down.

I do not own the VC headphone, but I can totally vouch for the GS-X mk2...what a killer amp.
Something to be said for the black as midnight back round every time that you power it up.
Powers all of my cans with ease and oh that bass :L3000:

Feb 14, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #2,164 of 12,461
I have noticed a couple of comments regarding the VC "opening up" and I wanted to concur. Sometimes you listen to an item and say meh, okay but logic kicks in and says all of these folks can't be wrong. I am pleased to say that my VC are starting to morph into what I thought they would be. I am still attempting to wrap my head around the mids, but the VC improve with each listen at this early stage.

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #2,165 of 12,461
I had the same initial feeling.

I received them on Monday. Having to wait 2+ months almost kill the experience for me and the my fist listening reaction was like "meh, why did I spent so much on this blindly?, where's the midrange? the MDR-Z1R and the ATH L5000 are much better", but after using them more (still few hours) they are getting much closer to the praising comments I have been reading, really good headphones.

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #2,166 of 12,461
First post back in the forums in quite some time... My job has evolved to the point where I'm not necessarily wearing a headset all day anymore and I can actually enjoy headphones in my off time again. What a thread to choose to jump head first into. :joy:

I think I finally need something to unseat my Ultrasone Sig Pros. I demo'd the LFF Enigma a few years back and the sound really stuck with me through the years. I know they're completely different beasts, but has anyone heard both the Enigma and VC?

To me, the Enigma was the ultimate "chill-out" headphone. I know Zach's taste in sound and pretty much agree with it 100% so I know these are great cans even without hearing them. I guess my main question is whether these are good enough in the slow/ambient genre to beat what I consider the fairly specialized LFF Enigma. If the VC can play double duty for fast genres as well... Well, then it's a matter of convincing my bank account. (Ouch!)

Any thoughts and feedback would be appreciated. Feels alright to be back. :)

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #2,167 of 12,461
Get yourself a nice solid state amp as a backup / alternate. Something like a Headamp Mini (Or GS-X Mk2 if your budget allows). VC and VO do very well from high end SS amps. My 300B amp does do a better job than my GS-X Mk2 in some respects with the VC and VO, but there is not much in it.

Other issue is heat - my 300B throws out a lot of heat. Not good in the summer without AC, so the SS gear takes over until the weather cools down.

I've backup amps and still loving the Verite Open Pheasant wood but I heard there's a new leopard. :) I might need a backup headphone. :)

IMG_0022.jpg

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #2,168 of 12,461
I do not own the VC headphone, but I can totally vouch for the GS-X mk2...what a killer amp.
Something to be said for the black as midnight back round every time that you power it up.
Powers all of my cans with ease and oh that bass :L3000:

Interesting. I have read that GS-X mk2 sounds similar to the GLM2,which I used to own and sold it cuz it sounded too sterile for me. What am I missing here?
I guess my main question is whether these are good enough in the slow/ambient genre to beat what I consider the fairly specialized LFF Enigma. If the VC can play double duty for fast genres as well... Well, then it's a matter of convincing my bank account. (Ouch!)

Time to put my devil outfit back on...

I listen to a lot of psybient,as well as metal,folk,classic rock,blues...you name it(except jazz ,opera and classical) and IMO the VC slays them all easily.
If you havent yet,watch my review I did,located on the first page of this thread.

Feb 14, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #2,169 of 12,461
I usually like to burn my headphones in while wearing them, and that's what I did with my VO. With my VC's I started that process and immediately loved the sound. However, after maybe ~6 hours, I could tell that the burn in was going to be kind of dramatic in stages (albiet short lived). I was getting some of the harshness in the upper mids that others had mentioned. So I decided to just let them play for about 24 hours straight. And wow what a difference that has made. The bass has tightened, there is more space/openness and that harshness is gone. I'm going to give them another 24 hours to get to the full 50 hour burn in that @zach915m recommended.

I'm looking forward to hearing them once they cross the 50 hour threshold, and then trying the Autuer pads next.

Feb 14, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #2,170 of 12,461
Interesting. I have read that GS-X mk2 sounds similar to the GLM2,which I used to own and sold it cuz it sounded too sterile for me. What am I missing here?

What is the GLM2? Excuse my ignorance - I have no clue what the GLM2 is.

I have owned a bunch of SS amps over the past few years - Auralic Taurus / Violectric V281 / Simaudio 430HA. My keepers are the GS-X Mk2 and Audio GD Master 9. Two very different sounding amps.

The GS-X Mk2 is the most transparent device I have ever used. Super fast and detailed. It needs careful DAC pairing. Pair it with an edgy and forward DAC and it will drill holes through your skull. I use an NOS R2R DAC and that works very well. I think a lot of the folks that don't like the GS-X Mk2 are pairing it with a typical delta-sigma DAC - or some other forward and edgy device - looking at you Yggdrasil Mk1. Get the pairing right and you get stunning levels of detail and a wonderful audio experience.

If I want to sacrifice some transparency and punch for a more relaxed and smoother sound I will use the Master 9.

My audio chain is in my sig. Love it with the VC and VO (or the HEKV2 / HD800S).

Feb 14, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #2,171 of 12,461
What is the GLM2? Excuse my ignorance - I have no clue what the GLM2 is.

I have owned a bunch of SS amps over the past few years - Auralic Taurus / Violectric V281 / Simaudio 430HA. My keepers are the GS-X Mk2 and Audio GD Master 9. Two very different sounding amps.

The GS-X Mk2 is the most transparent device I have ever used. Super fast and detailed. It needs careful DAC pairing. Pair it with an edgy and forward DAC and it will drill holes through your skull. I use an NOS R2R DAC and that works very well. I think a lot of the folks that don't like the GS-X Mk2 are pairing it with a typical delta-sigma DAC - or some other forward and edgy device - looking at you Yggdrasil Mk1. Get the pairing right and you get stunning levels of detail and a wonderful audio experience.

If I want to sacrifice some transparency and punch for a more relaxed and smoother sound I will use the Master 9.

My audio chain is in my sig. Love it with the VC and VO (or the HEKV2 / HD800S).

Gilmore Lite MK2

Feb 14, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #2,173 of 12,461
Time to put my devil outfit back on...

I listen to a lot of psybient,as well as metal,folk,classic rock,blues...you name it(except jazz ,opera and classical) and IMO the VC slays them all easily.
If you havent yet,watch my review I did,located on the first page of this thread.
Went to check out your review on my lunch break, and hoo boy, you didn't shortchange that video, did you? :joy: A lot of good thoughts there, it was just difficult to parse through with the short time I had available. I'll have to loop back around later.

The obvious solution is I need to hear these things. >_>

Feb 14, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #2,174 of 12,461
Being an Alanis Morissette fan, I Thought this was pretty cool and glad I follow ZMF on Instagram or would have missed it!
Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 10.39.33 AM.jpg

Feb 14, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #2,175 of 12,461
Being an Alanis Morissette fan, I Thought this was pretty cool and glad I follow ZMF on Instagram or would have missed it!
Damn! That is really cool, and speaks volumes for how good they are! That chick can sing, and I am sure she knows good sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back