ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Feb 2, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #2,101 of 12,452
How many of you would see a purpose to owning an Aeolus alongside a VC and HD800 if you were planning to endgame with 3 different cans, and wanted something even more warm / colored for extreme metal?

Absolutely- between the stock and the more neutral suede pads, you can get a wide range of sounds out of the Aeolus. I use both it and VC for metal quite a bit.

Feb 2, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #2,102 of 12,452
My package arrived today. Simply beautiful.

IMG_20200202_131036.jpgIMG_20200202_152634.jpgIMG_20200202_152540.jpg

Feb 2, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #2,104 of 12,452
They will change a lot in the first 24 hrs of use, so just let them sit for a day or two - after 50 hours the changes are more subtle, and they will sound "easier" around 200 - 300 hrs or so.
I have quite a bit of listening to do. What are you all finding out as far as burn-in, how long?

Feb 3, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #2,105 of 12,452
The “math” portion just refers to the propensity for odd time signatures and polyrhythms. Some classic examples would be Meshuggah or Dillinger Escape Plan. It’s a weird combination of high brow and visceral brutality. I literally wrote a college thesis on Meshuggah’s “New Millennium Cyanide Christ.”

Following up on this, if you want to get a sample of math music that isn't filled in with extreme metal sounds, I can't recommend LITE's album Multiple enough. To me, that album does for math rock what Tool did for progressive metal: streamline the essence into something accessible to people that wouldn't, otherwise, be devotees of the genre as a whole. It seems like they're actually pretty well-known in Japan. I'm playing it right now and most of track #2, Deep Layer, could be Meshuggah in a different key with clean guitar tone. Polyphia's New Levels New Devils takes watering it down for popularity a step further, adding in trap beats, etc. and I expect 95% of people would at least enjoy it.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #2,106 of 12,452
I just posted my ZMF Verite closed LTD Ironwoods for sale. They are only a few weeks old.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf...es-other-items-for-sale.924681/#post-15451206
I thought I would post it here because there are probably people on this thread that do not have one yet and really deserve first crack at getting them.

Also, I am selling all my headphone cables and DAC and Amps so I posted those items at the bottom of my VC posting.

When I ordered these in September I had headphone time in my life. Now I do not. All my Headphone gear is going up for sale starting with the most painful one to sell of all, the VC. It is a stunning headphone from a stunning company.

I am so impressed with the work Zach and Bevin are doing! I hope to be back for more someday.

Mark

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #2,109 of 12,452
Following up on this, if you want to get a sample of math music that isn't filled in with extreme metal sounds, I can't recommend LITE's album Multiple enough. To me, that album does for math rock what Tool did for progressive metal: streamline the essence into something accessible to people that wouldn't, otherwise, be devotees of the genre as a whole. It seems like they're actually pretty well-known in Japan. I'm playing it right now and most of track #2, Deep Layer, could be Meshuggah in a different key with clean guitar tone. Polyphia's New Levels New Devils takes watering it down for popularity a step further, adding in trap beats, etc. and I expect 95% of people would at least enjoy it.

Another good example of something pretty mathy in a completely different genre (jazz) is the Bad Plus. Youtube link complete with the transcription showing the shifting times. Humble brag - I actually chatted with these dudes about Meshuggah when one of my old bands opened for them about 15 years ago. Such an awesome memory.

Getting the thread back on track... if you like the jazz, this album sounds righteous on the VC!

Feb 3, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #2,110 of 12,452
It seems like this has been asked before, so apologies for that. The universe and Aueter pads are basically identical in shape/size; however the Aueter pads have a larger ear hole. Is that correct?

Feb 3, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #2,111 of 12,452
It seems like this has been asked before, so apologies for that. The universe and Aueter pads are basically identical in shape/size; however the Aueter pads have a larger ear hole. Is that correct?

Yes. The Auteur pads also are slightly more angled.

Feb 5, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #2,112 of 12,452
Anyone else have a Mogwai or Mogwai SE to pair with their VCs? Just in case someone else (particularly with an ironwood VC) has my same combo: try the Tung-SolEL34B along with a sylvania VT-229 and the hybrid pads. It's a really nice, euphonic and lush 3D experience!

Feb 5, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #2,113 of 12,452
I have a Mogwai SE, currently Mullard Kt88, basic 6sl7 (looking for my misplaced Gold Lion Kt88s and 6sl7gt, miss them!) Vertie Closed Ironwood. Great staging, imaging, macrodynamics and still plenty of slam!

Feb 5, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #2,114 of 12,452
Ive been using NOS pair of Sylvania VT135s lately with the VC,and the staging and bass is otherwordly. Unfortunately one of my tubes is noisy so Ive purchased another pair. I also have a pair of NOS matched smoked glass Osram L63s in-bound which im guessing will be even better.
All paired with a GEC U18/20 and GE6BX7s.

Feb 5, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #2,115 of 12,452
Ive been using NOS pair of Sylvania VT135s lately with the VC,and the staging and bass is otherwordly. Unfortunately one of my tubes is noisy so Ive purchased another pair. I also have a pair of NOS matched smoked glass Osram L63s in-bound which im guessing will be even better.
All paired with a GEC U18/20 and GE6BX7s.

That’s a sick roll, right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back