ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Dec 9, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #1,786 of 12,391
Might I suggest the detailed cable discussions be moved to a dedicated thread?
Absolutely. I only posted originally about cables in response to someone asking about cable rec's for a VC.|

Once my shootout is complete I will create a new thread. Back to VC discussion.

Dec 9, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #1,787 of 12,391
Is in this group anybody owning a Meze Empyrean, and willing to provide a quick comparison? I’d especially interested in a performance comparison with a mobile setup such as with a DAP. I know this is not where the VC shines, but the question is how the VC holds up in comparison to the Empy is this particular setting - could the latter become superfluous? Thank you!!!

Dec 9, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #1,788 of 12,391
Oh boy! Very excited for this as I've had similar experiences with my ZMFs, ZMF HP cables as well as interconnects, and USB / power cables and have a similar conclusion; it's the whole chain.

In my case I live in downtown silicon valley in a condo 15 stories up - there's a butt-ton of EMI and dirty power - it wasn't until I replaced *all* my cables with better cables that various buzz / hiss / other annoyances went away (I tested multiple versions of each one, one at a time). Those were my observations, and funny that some are invested in saying it's placebo or whatever ... either way, I don't care, it addressed my concerns.

BTW - my HP cable experience is that it seems to come down to architecture / build quality more than this copper or that silver, but then I've only tested 10 or so (and I have FAR from a summit-fi system).

Anyway, I'm pretty excited to hear your observations and politely accept them without a bunch of "ACTually ..." :smile:
I was chasing hum in my Bottlehead Crack chain or any of my tube amps actually...I was going nutz!! Finally, I was randomly unplugging USBs from my computer (except the DAC USB) and the hum went away...so slowly went back with each individual USB plugged in at a time until I hit the one causing hum....it was my Kono Store Kira!!! well to be exact it was the Kira when I had the LEDs running...so now I turn them off via custom key combo and voila no more buzz. Power feedback is real in audio systems (or coil whine). I've also noticed slight changes in sound by different headphone cables. This is usually something I only notice after using one cable for a very long time then switching to another on the same headphone...and even then not a massive difference, but once "heard" it can't be unheard, on certain headphones. I had one set that became way too bright and peaky with a silver cable, but specifically with badly mastered tracks, as in throw off my head sibilance and pain in my ears lol.

Now I currently rock the Verite 4 strand cables on my VCs and love them...more for the neck candy and as a treat for myself than any sort of audio change =) but that is just me :wink: but when out and about I'll switch to OFC ZMF cables ending in 4.4mm into my Cayin N6ii
which I find quite excellent...I do notice a ever so slight difference between the two but it isn't big enough to warrant speaking on or trying to define =) at least for me

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #1,789 of 12,391
Is in this group anybody owning a Meze Empyrean, and willing to provide a quick comparison? I’d especially interested in a performance comparison with a mobile setup such as with a DAP. I know this is not where the VC shines, but the question is how the VC holds up in comparison to the Empy is this particular setting - could the latter become superfluous? Thank you!!!
I had both at the same time for a little bit... I still have the VC and never purchased the Empy if that says anything... I used them both out of my Cayin N6ii for majority of my listening time at work and loved the VC where the Empy was very good...but ultimately for me it couldn't compare to the VC. I was using the demo MonkeyPod VC at the time. Now if, being super light on the head is important, more so then audio quality I would go with the empy as they are ridiculously light. Plus they look really cool, one of the best-manufactured headphones I've seen.

But if you want a classicly good looking, outstanding audio, amazing value, and craftsmanship that equates to you having a unique headphone that only you will have (unless you sell it :wink: ) then go with ZMF! Also I wouldn't walk around with either of these really, but I did, and still do travel around with my Verite C and listen at coffee shops or if it isn't raining outside =) I use a Slappa case which fits the Verites like a glove(seriously it is a tight fit but keeps them protected and is more manageable to carry around).

Dec 10, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #1,790 of 12,391
Might I suggest the detailed cable discussions be moved to a dedicated thread?

you can, although those threads devolve into a dystopian hellscape that consume the souls of ye who enter ...

so, with that, I'd recommend some small limited-to-experiences with VC discusion be allowed (especially since Zach sells cables).

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #1,791 of 12,391
dystopian hellscape that consume the souls of ye who enter
Haha. Very well said. While it does sound fun ... pass maybe?

Speaking of VC & headphone cables, I am enjoying a newly completed headphone cable; Neotech UP-OCC Silver with Furutech jacks all 'round. So far, it is the best of the cables I have used on the VC. There is still burn-in time to go (yes I think it is a thing, it surely was with the last Copper one). I have used the cables the VC came with, a forza hybrid cable, UP-OCC Copper and now this one. Whatever the flavour, do experiment with headphone cables - it can be rewarding!

#vc-eyecandy

20191210_081848.jpg

Dec 10, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #1,792 of 12,391
Haha. Very well said. While it does sound fun ... pass maybe?

Speaking of VC & headphone cables, I am enjoying a newly completed headphone cable; Neotech UP-OCC Silver with Furutech jacks all 'round. So far, it is the best of the cables I have used on the VC. There is still burn-in time to go (yes I think it is a thing, it surely was with the last Copper one). I have used the cables the VC came with, a forza hybrid cable, UP-OCC Copper and now this one. Whatever the flavour, do experiment with headphone cables - it can be rewarding!

#vc-eyecandy

I would very much like to hear your thoughts on how they compare to each other. I have a Forza Noir Hybrid for my Eikons, but need a new cable for the VC. I am currently using the ZMF OFC cable with my VC and would like to upgrade to either the Forza hybrid cable or to the Neotech UP-OCC silver cable.

Dec 10, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #1,793 of 12,391
Agnes Obel! Yes sir, her music is so well recorded, and sounds insanely good with the ZMF house sound. Good rec.
I had not heard of her - very nice! She has a great voice and the arrangements are really simple and clean. Thanks!

J

Dec 10, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #1,794 of 12,391
Hmmm...tough

it’s between these two

Technically 3 but this is just the stripped version of the one above

but...soo many good tracks to be heard and that sound good with the VC!

here is my “curated” I.e. tracks I like for another forum

Had not heard Gabriela y Rodrigo - very fun stuff, sounds great on the VCs!

Felix

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #1,795 of 12,391
Something absolutely awesome has happened, a massive shift in the Force, and all that is good and just in the world, two things I never dreamed could be possible again. There is a new Who album, and they'll be touring next Summer!

Roon turned me on to this fact the very same day as your post. Listened to "Ball and Chain" and was pleasantly stunned while noticing the 2019 release date. We ought to respect our elders more. :)

Dec 10, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #1,798 of 12,391
I would very much like to hear your thoughts on how they compare to each other. I have a Forza Noir Hybrid for my Eikons, but need a new cable for the VC. I am currently using the ZMF OFC cable with my VC and would like to upgrade to either the Forza hybrid cable or to the Neotech UP-OCC silver cable.

The silver neotech is just completed this weekend so I don't want to prematurely comment about the "new toy". I will need to put some more observation and thought to make more informed comments. The difference between the stock cables any of the other cables on either my VC or Eikon headphones were very audible and positive (as I am sure you have experienced on the Eikons / Forza). Someone else described using a better cable as "a veil being lifted from the music" and I think that is a good description.

Dec 10, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #1,799 of 12,391
I have compared the 2KCopper cable with the DHC silver cable originaly bought for my HifiMan HE-X.

The Silver cable is definitively better. Copper cable bring IMO some anoying rumble in the bass.

Now that this silver cable is validated using a 2,5mm -> Mini-XLR adaptors, I will have the DHC cable re-terminated with Furtech Mini-xlr plugs.

Capture d’écran 2019-12-10 à 23.00.27.png

I have also found here on AMAZON for $ 15 the perfect carying case for the VC + my A&K SP1000 DAP / SP1000Amp + cable & charger. Fit is ultra tight in all 3 directions; for a case as small as possible.

IMG_2680.JPG IMG_3258.JPG Capture d’écran 2019-12-10 à 23.08.27.png

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2019-12-10 à 23.05.41.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-12-10 à 23.05.41.png
    666.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #1,800 of 12,391
I have compared the 2KCopper cable with the DHC silver cable originaly bought for my HifiMan HE-X.

The Silver cable is definitively better. Copper cable bring IMO some anoying rumble in the bass.

Now that this silver cable is validated using a 2,5mm -> Mini-XLR adaptors, I will have the DHC cable re-terminated with Furtech Mini-xlr plugs.

I have also found here on AMAZON for $ 15 the perfect carying case for the VC + my A&K SP1000 DAP / SP1000Amp + cable & charger. Fit is ultra tight in all 3 directions; for a case as small as possible.

Super snug fit, good find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back