ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Dec 8, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #1,771 of 12,429
This!

Agree! The clear variant should give enough bang for the buck too (going with the indicated price range of 300$ - 400$). Ofcourse the full blown S3 offers the full package (endgame performance) :)
Allow me to interject my experiences with various cables for the VC,and how they pair with systems and other interconnects.

When i did my review of the VC the cable I used was the stock cable that came with the headphone. I have a ZMF 2K cable here,but it sounded rough and edgy,so I stuck with the stock.
Im prepping a video for my YouTube channel where I will be doing an RCA and USB cable shootout. I have 3 USB cables on hand,with another three in bound from a fellow member. I also have eight RCA cables on hand,with a few more inbound from two members.
When I replaced the USB cables in my system the edginess I experienced with the 2K cable entirely disappeared. What ive learned from this process is everything is entirely dependent on the rest of your chain,all the way down to the lowly USB cable being used to transport 1s and 0s to your DAC.
Im sharing this info not to debate with cable non-believers,but to suggest that YMMV when it comes to cable rec's. I highly suggest that with whatever cable you choose to make sure there is an iron clad return policy. What sounds fantastic thru one person's system may sound entirely different in yours.

I will be conducting my cable shootout some time within the next week or so,and posting the results on my channel.

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #1,772 of 12,429
Interesting relation between headphone and usb cables.

I really enjoy the plain ZMF OFC cable. Have yet to ever notice a difference from cables, but then again all the cables I own and have made are OFC, nothing fancy. Maybe at CanJam I can try some upgrade cables.

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #1,773 of 12,429
Im prepping a video for my YouTube channel where I will be doing an RCA and USB cable shootout... Im sharing this info not to debate with cable non-believers,but to suggest that YMMV when it comes to cable rec's.

Oh boy! Very excited for this as I've had similar experiences with my ZMFs, ZMF HP cables as well as interconnects, and USB / power cables and have a similar conclusion; it's the whole chain.

In my case I live in downtown silicon valley in a condo 15 stories up - there's a butt-ton of EMI and dirty power - it wasn't until I replaced *all* my cables with better cables that various buzz / hiss / other annoyances went away (I tested multiple versions of each one, one at a time). Those were my observations, and funny that some are invested in saying it's placebo or whatever ... either way, I don't care, it addressed my concerns.

BTW - my HP cable experience is that it seems to come down to architecture / build quality more than this copper or that silver, but then I've only tested 10 or so (and I have FAR from a summit-fi system).

Anyway, I'm pretty excited to hear your observations and politely accept them without a bunch of "ACTually ..." :smile:

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #1,775 of 12,429
Allow me to interject my experiences with various cables for the VC,and how they pair with systems and other interconnects.

When i did my review of the VC the cable I used was the stock cable that came with the headphone. I have a ZMF 2K cable here,but it sounded rough and edgy,so I stuck with the stock.
Im prepping a video for my YouTube channel where I will be doing an RCA and USB cable shootout. I have 3 USB cables on hand,with another three in bound from a fellow member. I also have eight RCA cables on hand,with a few more inbound from two members.
When I replaced the USB cables in my system the edginess I experienced with the 2K cable entirely disappeared. What ive learned from this process is everything is entirely dependent on the rest of your chain,all the way down to the lowly USB cable being used to transport 1s and 0s to your DAC.
Im sharing this info not to debate with cable non-believers,but to suggest that YMMV when it comes to cable rec's. I highly suggest that with whatever cable you choose to make sure there is an iron clad return policy. What sounds fantastic thru one person's system may sound entirely different in yours.

I will be conducting my cable shootout some time within the next week or so,and posting the results on my channel.
I'm curious about your experiment too monster.
I know all about it from the Glenn thread :wink:

Dec 9, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #1,776 of 12,429
Obviously I'm biased ...
You can expect no less than professionalism, reliability and honesty from Headphone Company.

This and the previous statement strikes me as a bit odd. And where does the bias come from? Either you tell us what exceptional service you experienced or who is in charge there to make things right. My 2cents. But never mind, nice to have a German head-fier in the thread

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #1,777 of 12,429
Something absolutely awesome has happened, a massive shift in the Force, and all that is good and just in the world, two things I never dreamed could be possible again. There is a new Who album, and they'll be touring next Summer!

Dec 9, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #1,778 of 12,429
Something absolutely awesome has happened, a massive shift in the Force, and all that is good and just in the world, two things I never dreamed could be possible again. There is a new Who album, and they'll be touring next Summer!
I saw them at the new Chase center in San Francisco 2 months ago. Easily one of the best shows of my life. Daltry and Townshend may look their age, but the minute the music began it was timeless and amazingly good.

Dec 9, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #1,779 of 12,429
This and the previous statement strikes me as a bit odd. And where does the bias come from? Either you tell us what exceptional service you experienced or who is in charge there to make things right. My 2cents. But never mind, nice to have a German head-fier in the thread

I would like to answer your question. I am "biased" because I had a different experience with this distributor. I bought my Cascade there. The shipping was fast and at the completion of my order, there was no cause for complaint. Another Head-Fier has the same experience and confirmed to me. Obviously, criticism seems to attract more attention. You can see that on all social media Head-Fi is no exception.

Dec 9, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #1,780 of 12,429

I pretty much agree with what you're saying, the chain is vital and it can be hard to tell which component is bringing certain changes, as every component introduced will have unique effect on everything else in the chain. The with the one caveat that i think its fair to make some assumptions as to the performance which one is likely to achieve by introducing an HP cable made of certain weight and quality wire as their effect is likely to be pretty universal. In headphone cables specifically, performance largely depends on the quality/weight or gauge of wire used combined (to lesser degree) with the quality of connectors. Shielding has little or no effect in headphone cables, litz versus non-litz wire again pretty much zero difference, etc all have little or no effect.

I'm mainly basing this statement based what i have heard while having been lost up river over the last 6-12 months, experimenting making cables from all sorts of wire (OFC, UPOCC, OCC, Pure Solid Silver, various "pure copper") connectors, shielded vs unshielded, litz versus non-litz, 4-12 core configurations and i've compared these to a brace of shop bought cables retailing from £250-1500.

I used a consistent set up for evaluation purposes:

Neotech UPOCC Power Cable > airlink balanced mains unit > Isotek 6-way > Neotech UPOCC power cables > SoTM SMS-200 Ultra Neo Network Player with SPS-500 PSU > Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB cable > Neotech UPOCC Silver RCA Cables > Hugo2 DAC > "Insert headphone cable" > Focal Stellia & Elegia, Beyer T1s & DT1770 pro

The main conclusions i drew, were most cables made non-UPOCC cables were much of muchness, by which i mean they provided pretty similar levels of sound quality/ performance, some were considerably worse, such as thin gauge silver (sounded bright and thin), certain copper litz sounded muddy, but generally all were okay. I include within so called big name cables like Nordost Heimdall, which i consider a bit of a rip off, as while its not bad, its no better than most well made OFC stock cable at 1/4 of the price. The most noticeable improvements in sound quality, came when i made cables using UPOCC pure silver, pure copper, a mix of the two metals and silver/gold UPOCC alloy. I found the performance of all the headphones i tried with these cables were improved/ effected in similar consistent manner, when tested with the same reasonably high quality chain of components behind them.

For example, UPOCC silver, which was provided the most consistent improvements to performance compared to any other wire i used, created a characteristic presentation, slightly warmer than neutral, organic naturally toned/ timbered, highly dynamic/energetic, well extended, controlled, layered and detailed sound with Stellias, VC, Elegia and T1. Any variation came down the individual characteristics and abilities of each headphone, but as all of these headphones can be considered proficient or better performers with no specific flaws, had their performance improved.

Now the question as to whether how much of this improvement is down to the cable is harder to qualify. I choose to assume the better the cable hopefully the less colour it adds and the clearer the window it is on the system feeding it. My testing is by no means as rigorous or systematic as yours, as i set out more than anything to try prove to myself what are the most important factors in producing a headphone cable. I did this by swapping in and out different components in the chain (power, USB and interconnects in this instance )and being able to hear the differences more clearly using the UPOCC silver cable than any other. Now, i have to say i didnt perform this last experiment with every cable i made and as result i'm still just about married :wink:, but i did try it with the Stellia OFC stock, Heimdall, copper UPOCC and silver UPOCC, the latter being he most effective and i should say the most enjoyable to listen to.

Sorry that got away from me, but for anyone who's still awake, my point is IMO the chain is vital, but i think you can buy a headphone cable with a considerable degree of confidence, if you buy based on the quality and weight of wire and with HP cables at least, i found very little else influences the performance.

Having initially been a bit of a "zeros & ones flat earther", i tested half dozen USB cables in my set up, all of which sounded differen and settled on the ludicrously expensive Tellurium Q black diamond, for no other reason than it made the music sound better, which for me meant, more organic, more musical, more resolving and just less digital than any other cable.

Anyway i'm more excited than 46 year old man should be to read your USB shoot out :)

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #1,781 of 12,429
...so, I've had my VC for a little over a month and we're becoming fast friends. To me, what differentiates the VC from other headphones (including other ZMFs, though I don't have the VOs yet) is the fast decay and the "holographic" (by which I mean beautifully layered) and wide soundstage. To me, the overall tuning is in the same spirit as the other ZMF dynamics I have spent a lot of time with (Eikon, Atticus, Auteur) - I love the ZMF house sound, and the VC has it too. This seems to fit reasonably well with what others are hearing, I think.

For a self-serving reason, I have been thinking about what songs I might play that quickly demonstrate the uniquely badass sound of the VC.... I have some music loving friends and family coming by in the next few weeks and was thinking of what songs I might pick that would blow their minds and show the differences between the VC and other headphones they've heard. (Admittedly, this idea is particularly for my brother, who thinks I'm crazy for buying headphones this expensive but has no problem buying a new car every 1-2 years...basically whenever the navigation system starts to look slightly dated).

If any of you are game for a thought experiment, here's one: If you had to pick three-ish songs that really show off the unique characteristics of the VC, which ones would you pick?

my list so far is here: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5uxDZvq8p8RzJmkyv9Pnt7?si=Y_jJQ_zZQvS1nhxj8m4OwA, with the top four being:
Lusty Scripps by Fugazi ; Never Never by SBTRKT; all the good girls go to hell by Billie Eilish; Smells Like Content by The Books).

(some of my picks are not among my favorite things to listen to, though I have to like them at least a little bit to make it through the song)

Any songs you all would suggest?

Felix
any song from the David Bowie album The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust. the production there is incredibly high. Starman and Moonage Daydream are my favorite tracks for auditioning equipment to people. it's also a super fun album just to enjoy musically, if you're a classic rock fan.

Forgot to mention the iconic audiophile album Random Access Memories by Daft Punk. Anything from there is also an incredible demo track.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #1,782 of 12,429
ludicrously expensive Tellurium Q black diamond

Having initially been a bit of a "zeros & ones flat earther",

Thanks for your post. It aligns quite a bit with my experiences.
While I never have been a non-believer in cables,I simply wasnt fully prepared for the extent to which a USB and/or RCA could change what im hearing. Oh and dont sweat it. That Black Diamond is more than half cheaper than one of the cables I have on loan here. My wallet hopes that a less expensive cable will come close to the one I have in my system at the moment.

I also have a power cable on loan thats as thick as my forearm,that im simply terrified to introduce into my chain. Once heard,its impossible to unhear it,and this power cable is stupid expensive. :deadhorse:

I think instead of beating a dead horse,they need an emoji that beats our wallets.

Dec 9, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #1,783 of 12,429
Thanks for your post. It aligns quite a bit with my experiences.
While I never have been a non-believer in cables,I simply wasnt fully prepared for the extent to which a USB and/or RCA could change what im hearing. Oh and dont sweat it. That Black Diamond is more than half cheaper than one of the cables I have on loan here. My wallet hopes that a less expensive cable will come close to the one I have in my system at the moment.

I also have a power cable on loan thats as thick as my forearm,that im simply terrified to introduce into my chain. Once heard,its impossible to unhear it,and this power cable is stupid expensive. :deadhorse:

I think instead of beating a dead horse,they need an emoji that beats our wallets.

£1200!! Ouch, it might not be wise for to read your review after all :wink:. If you’re up for wiring the plug yourself, neotech’s upocc copper nep3200 bulk mains cable with furutech plugs, while not cheap at about £350 for finished cable, outperformed the TQ and audio quest shop bought cables costing over twice the amount. It’s astonishingly good value vs performance. Mains power tweaking is definitely where madness lies, but the results can be very addictive. Looking forward to the shootout! :)

Dec 9, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #1,784 of 12,429
£1200!! Ouch, it might not be wise for to read your review after all :wink:. If you’re up for wiring the plug yourself, neotech’s upocc copper nep3200 bulk mains cable with furutech plugs, while not cheap at about £350 for finished cable, outperformed the TQ and audio quest shop bought cables costing over twice the amount. It’s astonishingly good value vs performance. Mains power tweaking is definitely where madness lies, but the results can be very addictive. Looking forward to the shootout! :)

Also - Mains cables are very easy to make/ assemble from great parts. @teknorob23 has sort of been my "cable sherpa" (he has lots of trial/ error experience that I have leveraged through his generous sharing of info) and he has certainly helped me to create some great cables. The mains cables are the EASIST to just make a great one - no soldering needed even!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back