ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Dec 6, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #1,726 of 12,429
I had a bad experience with Headphone Company myself, unfortunately. Despite being based in the UK I took advantage of EU pricing + a deal. Communication was poor and when I had a problem with my unit the attitude and service was unsavoury. Acorn Audio on the other hand is a totally different story. Incredible communication and support throughout. I had an issue with my first unit again and the post-sale experience was night and day. If you can overlook the conversion fees I would highly recommend Acorn Audio for European sales!

Dec 6, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #1,727 of 12,429
I had a bad experience with Headphone Company myself...

That surprises me to hear. The founder of the Headphone Company is Thomas Halbgewachs MBA. A former Beyerdynamic employee who is now self-employed and well connected in the industry. The Headphone Company is in Germany the distribution for brands such as ZMF, Campfire Audio, Empire, Astell & Kern, Meze etc ... . There is probably no second distributor in europe that is as extensive as the Headphone Company.
Because Heidelberg is a beautiful city, it is impossible that something does not work there. At this point I would like to quote the American writer Mark Twain, who lived in Heidelberg for some time. "Germany is the summit of beauty in the summer, but no one has understood, really perceived and enjoyed the highest degree of this gentle and peaceful beauty, who has not descended the Neckar on a raft".:wink:

Dec 6, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #1,728 of 12,429
That surprises me to hear. The founder of the Headphone Company is Thomas Halbgewachs MBA. A former Beyerdynamic employee who is now self-employed and well connected in the industry. The Headphone Company is in Germany the distribution for brands such as ZMF, Campfire Audio, Empire, Astell & Kern, Meze etc ... . There is probably no second distributor in europe that is as extensive as the Headphone Company.
Because Heidelberg is a beautiful city, it is impossible that something does not work there. At this point I would like to quote the American writer Mark Twain, who lived in Heidelberg for some time. "Germany is the summit of beauty in the summer, but no one has understood, really perceived and enjoyed the highest degree of this gentle and peaceful beauty, who has not descended the Neckar on a raft".:wink:
None of those things has anything to do with good customer service.

Dec 6, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #1,730 of 12,429
Poor customer service is the worst,regardless of where it comes from. Im sure ZMF is on top of this situation,seeing as how they have the absolute best customer service,not only in the headphone community,but the best of any industry Ive ever encountered.

To put things into perspective:

I literally (and I mean "literally" in the literal sense) spent 3 and half hours on hold today simply trying to get a refill on a medication that keeps me alive.
Wanna know why I'm known as Monster? You shouldve seen me today when someone actually picked up the damn phone!

Dec 6, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #1,731 of 12,429
Is anyone esle also waiting to receive their VC from Headphone Company? if so, are you getting any updates? for whatever reason they are not being very good at responding to emails, thanks

I am waiting to receive my VC from Acorn Audio.

We are making some sets for headphone company and acorn audio right now. I realize everyone wants their headphones for the holidays, and while I can't guarantee that for every order, we are doing our best!

Shipped out some v closed today and more going out soon.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 6, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #1,732 of 12,429
He he, yeah I wouldn't be running around with it though :wink:.
It would be for sitting at my desk while working but as you said I may look into a more portable set for that first (Aeon Closed 2 maybe).
However ZMF are still my dream cans with those beautiful woods. Zach really did an excellent job with ZMF. It's an amazing product in my opinion (heard an Eikon before and they were great).

I use my Verite C on the go all the time with my Cayin N6ii. I used it at work, the coffee shop etc. The Slappa case fits the VC pretty snug but is more portable to carry around. I have a bunch of pictures of the combo on this thread =) Also when I had the Demo VC before it launched I took them into the office daily...just treat them well and have good cases for them and you will be fine taking them to and from the office =)
A7301537_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #1,734 of 12,429
Pad commentary for the desert ironwood on my head:

All of them are good and different. They each have their qualities and I think they are all "worth having" for novelty / changing/ experience/ fun. Each has its own bias or style.
  1. Auteur: I have used these the most. I prefer these at this stage. I think they have the widest stage of the bunch. Natural, wider bias. I kept wanting to put these back on, but stuck out at least week-long sessions with each pad set. I think the bass is the fastest, sweetest of the lot.
  2. Universe: I have used these the 2nd most I preferred these to the Auteurs while using them, especially in the 1st few weeks. When moving back to the Auteur pads, I preferred the Auteurs (repeat of past comments). I think they have a 3d intimacy bias. I think they are a bit more narrow, but they do have a lovely 3d feel. Less clear slam in the bass, but more detail in the upper mids?
  3. Hybrid: I have used these for just over a week of constant listening, then swapped to the Auteurs for a week. I really wanted these to be the best of the 3, i.e.; the best of Auteur and Universe pads. I found them more like less than either sadly (so far!). Perhaps I like their biases as they are? I do like them and will use them. It is possible I have not rolled them with the right tubes yet? I will report back as opinion varies.
Caveats:
  • Maybe the desert ironwoods are harder wood or different some way to the other pads.
  • Maybe the other things in my environment "count more" than any pad change.
  • Maybe my opinion isn't worth the digital bits I am relaying to anyone else.
YMMV, etc. I am relaying my notes for the potential benefit of others... But hey - who the hell am I anyway? Just some nut listening to music :) I will finally reiterate; you can't really go wrong. I could probably put a pair of socks over the speakers in these things and I would sound better than just about any alternatives !

Best,
Chris

This post brought to you by: Thom Yorke - Anima https://tidal.com/browse/album/112207359

This morning I thought perhaps I hadn't given the hybrid pads a balanced evaluation (maybe it was the valves that week?). This morning, I decided to fix my setup (amp, tubes, volume, etc) and replay the same album 3x - 1x with each pad set. All I will really say is that I confirm my earlier comments. The sound-width and overall performance of the Auteur pads is absolutely my favourite. The universe pads are still a close second and the hybrids in 3rd. My earlier caveats and comments apply. Either I am good at confirming my own biases or I have actual preferences (preferences conditional upon my whole gear setup). I'll be keeping the Auteur pads on now for at least another week with no changes on the pad dimension.

Now that the album-repeat is over, this post brought to you by something recommended by another head-fier: Anatole - Wring

Dec 7, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #1,735 of 12,429
I'm officially in the VC club!

rPXenis.jpg

I am very happy with them. They sound fantastic! I am in the process of listening through my whole music collection, because they make everything sound so good. The best amp synergy so far has been with my Torpedo tube amp.

Edit: these are the LTD Desert Ironwood edition.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #1,737 of 12,429
This morning I thought perhaps I hadn't given the hybrid pads a balanced evaluation (maybe it was the valves that week?). This morning, I decided to fix my setup (amp, tubes, volume, etc) and replay the same album 3x - 1x with each pad set. All I will really say is that I confirm my earlier comments. The sound-width and overall performance of the Auteur pads is absolutely my favourite. The universe pads are still a close second and the hybrids in 3rd. My earlier caveats and comments apply. Either I am good at confirming my own biases or I have actual preferences (preferences conditional upon my whole gear setup). I'll be keeping the Auteur pads on now for at least another week with no changes on the pad dimension.

Now that the album-repeat is over, this post brought to you by something recommended by another head-fier: Anatole - Wring

Really nice tune...thanks!

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #1,738 of 12,429
A fun pic, I think I've posted before, but I've cropped and post edited this one properly =) this is of my Verite Ziricote and the demo monkeypod Verite Closed

Awesome photo! Thanks for sharing : )

I'm officially in the VC club!

rPXenis.jpg

I am very happy with them. They sound fantastic! I am in the process of listening through my whole music collection, because they make everything sound so good. The best amp synergy so far has been with my Torpedo tube amp.

Edit: these are the LTD Desert Ironwood edition.

Very cool man : ) I'm happy for you!

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #1,739 of 12,429
Today, after +100 hours of break-in, I did with a Friend some Pads and cable testing. Tests were done with my A&K SP1000SS + SP1000amp

- Pads tested: Auteur v/s Universal
- Cables tested: ZMF Copper v/s DHC Molecule Elite SP Silver 8 wires cable

Initial set-up was Auteur pads and Copper Cable: Very good sound, with exceptional mids & hights, but... some little anowing bass rumbling. Change for the DHC Silver cable got rid of the rumbling. Problem solved ! I guess the Superbes Bass of the ZMF do not the extra help of a copper cable...

The difference is quite noticeable between the 2 cables, much more than... between the 2 Pads. I noticed a very light difference between the pads that I cannot preciecely articulate, but prefered the Auteur Pads.

So my final set-up becomes : Author Pads & DHC Balanced Silver cables, with the SP1000 Amp ... The Amp being almost mandatory: the SP1000 alone is really boring with the ZMF ! With the Amp added, the ZMF becomes imediatly fun and big.

NOTE : If someone is interested to purchase my ZMF Copper cable, please PM me :dt880smile:

Set-up2.JPG Detail cables.JPG 2 cables b.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #1,740 of 12,429
...so, I've had my VC for a little over a month and we're becoming fast friends. To me, what differentiates the VC from other headphones (including other ZMFs, though I don't have the VOs yet) is the fast decay and the "holographic" (by which I mean beautifully layered) and wide soundstage. To me, the overall tuning is in the same spirit as the other ZMF dynamics I have spent a lot of time with (Eikon, Atticus, Auteur) - I love the ZMF house sound, and the VC has it too. This seems to fit reasonably well with what others are hearing, I think.

For a self-serving reason, I have been thinking about what songs I might play that quickly demonstrate the uniquely badass sound of the VC.... I have some music loving friends and family coming by in the next few weeks and was thinking of what songs I might pick that would blow their minds and show the differences between the VC and other headphones they've heard. (Admittedly, this idea is particularly for my brother, who thinks I'm crazy for buying headphones this expensive but has no problem buying a new car every 1-2 years...basically whenever the navigation system starts to look slightly dated).

If any of you are game for a thought experiment, here's one: If you had to pick three-ish songs that really show off the unique characteristics of the VC, which ones would you pick?

my list so far is here: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5uxDZvq8p8RzJmkyv9Pnt7?si=Y_jJQ_zZQvS1nhxj8m4OwA, with the top four being:
Lusty Scripps by Fugazi ; Never Never by SBTRKT; all the good girls go to hell by Billie Eilish; Smells Like Content by The Books).

(some of my picks are not among my favorite things to listen to, though I have to like them at least a little bit to make it through the song)

Any songs you all would suggest?

Felix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back