ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Oct 19, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #8,102 of 12,462
I was looking for a closed back headphone to block out my son constant chatter while gaming and other sounds.
Something as resolving as the HD800 so I looked into the 820 and Z1R and after reading the threads I thought they do not sound what I am after, to many downsides.
After reading all the positive thoughts and great YouTube videos ON the VC I took the plunge on a secondhand Ironwood Vérité.

Oh wow I am so glad i did this thing is crazy good to my ears, it pairs like a glove with the X26 Pro and V281.
Such a deep sound stage and great width that does not feel like a downgrade from the 800.

I would always try my other headphones from time to time and right away say "oh no that does not come close to the 800" but now I have a new top S class.
Thanks to everyone that spoke about the Vérité C and to all the people that made the video reviews.
I had the same sentiment about Verite coming from HD800S. Fwiw, I ended up selling the HD800S a few months later because it turned out [to my ears] Verite just does everything better.

Oct 20, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #8,103 of 12,462
I had the same sentiment about Verite coming from HD800S. Fwiw, I ended up selling the HD800S a few months later because it turned out [to my ears] Verite just does everything better.
I find it a different flavour of frequencies. I still think the 800 dupont mod is a top tier headphone and it wont be leaving my side.

But I am really enjoying the isolation from external noises, the comfort (was not expecting it to be so comfortable) and a new top tier sound signature :)

Oct 20, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #8,104 of 12,462
@zach915m What are your thoughts on the rebelAmp or any amp that has 0.10 ohm output impedance? I don't think i can hear any difference between my rebelamp and feliks audio elise (40-50ohm out impedance) on my stabilized VC's. Do you have any recommended tracks to listen to for differences in damping? I'm just curious. Perhaps i just like a damp sound.

Oct 20, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #8,105 of 12,462
The hybrid pads may not be dark but they are a hint muted, they also don't allow upper air and bloom in quite the same way as the lambskins. They also don't let the instruments harmonic structure completely integrate and they are not quite as focused or detailed. But I would tend to agree that overall the hybrids do sound better in the first 100 to 150 hours of burn in. If you voice your equipment and let them fully burn in the lambskin will sound both more neutral and more musically satisfying. At that point the hybrids do sound euphonic and a hint opaque with slight loss of air, space, staging and focus. They are also not as satisfying with PRAT or transients. But depending on how you tune your equipment, cables and tweaks I can see hybrids being worth some of that loss to gain more integrated tonality. But I really believe you can get that elsewhere and maintain everything the lambskins do better.

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

I second this opinion, which was very well articulated. Thank you for that. The auteur hybrids pads have the most balanced tonality of all the pads I've tried but I find the sound a little more blunted/rounded. I use Norne Silvergarde cables.

Oct 20, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #8,106 of 12,462
@zach915m What are your thoughts on the rebelAmp or any amp that has 0.10 ohm output impedance? I don't think i can hear any difference between my rebelamp and feliks audio elise (40-50ohm out impedance) on my stabilized VC's. Do you have any recommended tracks to listen to for differences in damping? I'm just curious. Perhaps i just like a damp sound.
From my experience the dampening factor alone won't necessarily differentiate two different amps with different output impedances. For example my Asgard 3 has an output impedance of .20 and my Pendant SE has two output taps, one 8ohm, the other 100ohm. You'd think the 100ohm tap on the Pendant would sound noticeably warmer than the Asgard, but that's not the case. The Asgard has a warm tonality in general, and matches the tonal characteristics of the Pendant closely. The main differences between them to my ears is their technical abilities. The Pendant is more resolving and precise sounding. But tonality is very very similar. Another thing that separates them is the Pendant stages much better. It's wider, taller, and more three-dimensional. But in quick A/B tests I could definitley see myself mistaking them just because of their similar tonality.

Oct 20, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #8,107 of 12,462

From my experience the dampening factor alone won't necessarily differentiate two different amps with different output impedances. For example my Asgard 3 has an output impedance of .20 and my Pendant SE has two output taps, one 8ohm, the other 100ohm. You'd think the 100ohm tap on the Pendant would sound noticeably warmer than the Asgard, but that's not the case. The Asgard has a warm tonality in general, and matches the tonal characteristics of the Pendant closely. The main differences between them to my ears is their technical abilities. The Pendant is more resolving and precise sounding. But tonality is very very similar. Another thing that separates them is the Pendant stages much better. It's wider, taller, and more three-dimensional. But in quick A/B tests I could definitley see myself mistaking them just because of their similar tonality.

There is definitely much more to amplification and exactly how something sounds that is beyond my expertise - but I should note, that damping factor mainly encompasses the type of control the amp has over the driver, and there's a number of factors at play aside from the damping, including the OP amp if any used, the PSU size and type, if there's transformers or not in the signal path, the layout and board type of the amp and feedback design, power at 300 ohms and much more. So while damping factor does change the character and decay, it's not an overall statement on how bright or dark an amp will be, or if you'll like it or not.

I definitely most often will know though when a new owner makes a statement about our headphones sounding dull, that many times they might not have a set-up that will match their preferences. I have played this dance often at headphone shows as well, where we bring a lot of different gear to meet a lot of different tastes. Definitely a good and bad feature of our headphones at times!

There's definitely amps with a higher impedance out that will sound more dull than amps with a lower impedance out. The Sparkos Aries is a good example of an amp with a low impedance, that sounds quite open, is solid state etc, and has a lower impedance.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 20, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #8,108 of 12,462
So, today's interesting and amazing news! My Verite Closed shipped, my first ZMF!! But wait, there's more...

I'm dead certain it's a bug, but I ordered the Sapele VC - but my shipping notification lists an LTD African Blackwood Verite Closed. I didn't even know that was an OPTION. I'm hoping against hope it's true, though, an African Blackwood VC would be a beautiful black pearl of the endgame...

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #8,109 of 12,462
So, today's interesting and amazing news! My Verite Closed shipped, my first ZMF!! But wait, there's more...

I'm dead certain it's a bug, but I ordered the Sapele VC - but my shipping notification lists an LTD African Blackwood Verite Closed. I didn't even know that was an OPTION. I'm hoping against hope it's true, though, an African Blackwood VC would be a beautiful black pearl of the endgame...
Pics or it didn't happen 😜

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #8,113 of 12,462
Figured I should post some pictures of my new VC LTD Olive Wood! Been getting acquainted with them and the stock pads before I try Uni and Be2 but thus far loving them!
AD37B7F1-3B8E-4516-986F-93E7CEB1D7BA.jpeg
10D6B9A5-DBDF-450F-AF36-B2AF515C439F.jpeg

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #8,115 of 12,462
https://imgur.com/a/BAlcVo1

Any insight on this? I didn't even see an LTD option for the VC when I ordered.
The sad news is that everyone who ordered Sapele will still be getting Sapele, so yes this was a bug. We made a little mistake here internally!

The good news is that we will be releasing the LTD closed African Blackwood soon, it's not quite ready yet but if you want a beautiful, heavy and sweet sounding blackwood VC soon that will be a choice!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back