ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 7, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #6,784 of 12,429
I don't think I can sit through the eikon pads long enough. It's that bad to my ears.
I have all the solid suede pads and the Eikon are probably my least favorite on the VC, and only the Universe and BE-2 are ones I actually use.

Jul 7, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #6,786 of 12,429
Just to share an experience, I havent heard the LTA MZ2 ($1300) but I did have a chance to A/B the LTA MZ3 ($3700) and LTA Z10 Integrated ($4900) on a ZMF Atticus, and the difference was night and day more involving, detailed, and speedy on the Z10. This isnt a criticism of the MZ2 or MZ3, but more an endorsement of the LTA brand and also how nice the Z10 is, if you want to play in that price range.
I'm thinking about the Z10 E ....down the road (like probably over a year from now). So far have been unable to justify the huge price difference, so your post is actually quite helpful. I'd get the Z10 E only if I planned to also get the hard to drive Abyss TC as my open backed headphone and I wanted to be able to toy with electrostatics, like the SR009s. It took me 5+ years just to decide to upgrade from the switching power supply on the MicroZOTL 2, so it will probably be a while before I make that move, and it will depend on available funds as well (obviously).

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #6,787 of 12,429
Okay, I got the pads mixed up. The Auteur lamb is the one with the smooth leather like feel and look. And the Eikon Suedes are the ones with the soft felt like look and feel. The Auteur lamb was the one that felt muddy and bloomy, while the Eikon suedes felt more mid forward but more enjoyable. Sorry guys. I'm new to pads. The suedes sound better to me.

These are the Eikon suedes I believe
at97f3.jpg

These are the Auteur Lamb pads.
vsbotd.jpg

The Hybrid Auteur (lamb/suede) and Eikon suedes are my two favorite pads so far. I didn't like the Auteur solid lamb and the Universe lamb pads.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #6,788 of 12,429
I just got them, but I'm a little disappointed that it didn't come with the wood case since it was a LTD Olive wood edition. I'll post pictures once I am able.

xzkx4w.jpg

Looks nice enough, but I do have a question on the headphone jack ports. They look like they are made differently and don't know if that's by design.
ogh8eb.jpg

y4xbbd.jpg

One has a brass ring around it while the other does not. While one is numbered and the other is not. The one with the brass ring has a more polished and shiny housing, the other a more flat and dull finish. Not sure if something like that could affect sound.

The owner's card has a box for QC but it is not checked. But it has Zach's signature I believe, next to designed and tested, so does that mean it definitely did pass inspection?
9zj9mf.jpg

@zach915m
So glad you got them safely!

1. We are super short on wood cases, and haven't been able to offer them to anyone on the Olive sets yet. We're sorry for that and working on our supply chain.

2. I personally QC every set, we have new QC cards and I'll make sure closer to the QC area is signed so there's no confusion.

3. I didn't realize the panel tiny xlr Jack's had a different ring on the inside! We have used the same supplier for a long time and I guess there was an aesthetic change on the inside, I'll tell our team to look out for it.

Thanks for posting I hope you're enjoying them so far!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 8, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #6,789 of 12,429
So glad you got them safely!

1. We are super short on wood cases, and haven't been able to offer them to anyone on the Olive sets yet. We're sorry for that and working on our supply chain.

2. I personally QC every set, we have new QC cards and I'll make sure closer to the QC area is signed so there's no confusion.

3. I didn't realize the panel tiny xlr Jack's had a different ring on the inside! We have used the same supplier for a long time and I guess there was an aesthetic change on the inside, I'll tell our team to look out for it.

Thanks for posting I hope you're enjoying them so far!
Thanks, I am enjoying them, especially with the Verite silver cable. Thank you for taking the time to address my concerns.

Jul 8, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #6,790 of 12,429
Thanks, does are the ones I am using. I guess this headphones are not my cup of tea
What don't you like about them? Maybe other VC owners and/or Zach can think along as to how to address it. If it can be addressed, of course. There's always the possiblity that these are simply not for you.

Jul 8, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #6,791 of 12,429
I have all the solid suede pads and the Eikon are probably my least favorite on the VC, and only the Universe and BE-2 are ones I actually use.
Out of curiosity, what type of VC's do you have? Reason why I ask is I'm starting to think that the Janka rating affects what pads people are choosing. For example Zeos was adamant about using Eikon suedes and he was listening to VC Ironwoods (which had a Janka rating of 3260!). Olive wood, according to The Wood Database, has a Janka rating of around 2700 and like Zeos, I prefer the suedes. And I'm going to assume that the monkeypod (Janka rating of 900) VC's might sound a little too slow and rolled off with the Eikon suedes. Curious to hear from others if there is a similar pattern.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #6,793 of 12,429
Thanks, does are the ones I am using. I guess this headphones are not my cup of tea
That does not mean they will be your favorite, so perhaps try the hybrids or Universe. They change quit a bit with a pad swap. Also, the VC is very revealing of the Amp and DAC used.

Jul 8, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #6,794 of 12,429
Ha, true. And I'm a Cannibal Corpse fan! (BTW off topic, I just got the R01 module for the N6ii and can't recommend it enough).

Enjoy the VC and be sure to do some pad swapping to adjust them to your taste. Makes huge difference.
Thanks mate. Matter of interest, what cables do you use to partner the hugo2 with the c9?

Users who are viewing this thread

• djes
Back