ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Feb 20, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #4,921 of 12,461
Having owned both types of straps, I definitely prefer the suede. It is more padded and more comfortable in my opinion. I like the look of the leather headband, and it seems more durable too. My recommendation is leather headband with suede strap.

Feb 20, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #4,922 of 12,461
Hey guys, I'm going to buy the VC, but I'm debating about which headband and strap to get. I'm not interested in the pilot/co-pilot upgrade yet ; ) ...I'm referring to the standard band and strap. Has anyone owned both the All Leather and the Leather band and suede strap. I'm wondering if the suede will get dirty faster and lose its shape, or if the leather strap is not comfortable. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
I've got the suede headband and strap after starting with both in leather and I really like it a lot. It changed the size adjustment by a couple of clicks and so it's useful if you are already on or near the smallest size adjustment. I've not had it long enough to comment on longevity BUT I have to say that these things, including pads, are very affordable. I'm not looking forward to paying out for new earpads on my Stellia but with ZMF headphones you can do it for fun.

Feb 21, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #4,923 of 12,461
Don’t know if you like EDM, but I think this would sound pretty good with a bottle head crack and VC. Parts of it are pretty holographic.

Nice fine on the track! Big EDM head here, and while this track isn't a particular style I generally listen to, I like do like the holographic-ness and it really matches well with the Universe pads. Very fun to listen to. My Be2 arrived yesterday; let's see what's the hype about these pads (these never came with my VC since I ordered mine last year).

Feb 21, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #4,924 of 12,461
Nice fine on the track! Big EDM head here, and while this track isn't a particular style I generally listen to, I like do like the holographic-ness and it really matches well with the Universe pads. Very fun to listen to. My Be2 arrived yesterday; let's see what's the hype about these pads (these never came with my VC since I ordered mine last year).

I must confess to screwing up. I meant to link to the below track. Also by the Beatamines but more holographic

Feb 21, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #4,925 of 12,461
This might be completely redundant information but I had an epiphany this weekend regarding the comfort of my VCs.

I have generally found them comfortable over the year or so that I have owned them but I always got a hot spot just behind my right ear where my glasses temple tips are. I have tried multiple different glasses but none of them helped a great deal.

Whilst experimenting this weekend I rotated the pads about 90° from where I normally had them and magic, hot spot gone! I used to have them positioned so the seam on the outside of the pads pointed forwards approximately in line with the screw into the cups. Now the seam points pretty much straight up. As far as I can tell it hasn't changed the sound using the Universal pads (soon to be hybrid) although I guess if you used the more angled Auteur pads it might change the sound as it would angle to driver differently.

Anyway if anyone is having comfort issues behind the ear give rotating the pads a go.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #4,926 of 12,461
This might be completely redundant information but I had an epiphany this weekend regarding the comfort of my VCs.

I have generally found them comfortable over the year or so that I have owned them but I always got a hot spot just behind my right ear where my glasses temple tips are. I have tried multiple different glasses but none of them helped a great deal.

Whilst experimenting this weekend I rotated the pads about 90° from where I normally had them and magic, hot spot gone! I used to have them positioned so the seam on the outside of the pads pointed forwards approximately in line with the screw into the cups. Now the seam points pretty much straight up. As far as I can tell it hasn't changed the sound using the Universal pads (soon to be hybrid) although I guess if you used the more angled Auteur pads it might change the sound as it would angle to driver differently.

Anyway if anyone is having comfort issues behind the ear give rotating the pads a go.
my wife has a big problem with her eye glass temples and full sized headphones. Someone should invent a new type of temple that don't conflict with headphones.

Reminds me of the movie, "The Jerk" with Steve Martin

Attachments

• Steve Martin.jpg
    Steve Martin.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 0
Feb 21, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #4,927 of 12,461
Universe pads is the thinner ones? I always confuse with one is that. I like that thiner pads becouse it give most air and balanced sound, other pads are too dark/warm to me.

Feb 21, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #4,928 of 12,461
Wondering what others thoughts are of the BE2 Lamskin on the VC? I've had a pair on for the last couple of weeks and find them a little bit too in your face and heavy on the treble.

Ive swapped back to the universals for the moment

Feb 21, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #4,929 of 12,461
Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #4,930 of 12,461
Wondering what others thoughts are of the BE2 Lamskin on the VC? I've had a pair on for the last couple of weeks and find them a little bit too in your face and heavy on the treble.

Ive swapped back to the universals for the moment

I've actually been really enjoying the Be2. I have Auteur, Universe and Be2 Lambskin pads and have spent a good amount of time with each. Relatively speaking Auteur is thickest, then Universe, then Be2 and the thinnest is the Verite. You can easily tell the difference by just holding them sideways next to one another.

Some impressions...

Auteur Lambskin:
Most enveloping and easy to listen to but at the expense of both timbre and micro details. People talk about the bite of guitar being missing on these and I do agree. Same with drum strikes, they just don't pop the same as they do on the Universe or Be2. The Auteurs are the most comfortable though as your ears will likely not touch the cups. These are my second favorite pads behind the Be2s because the soundstage can be addicting. I am currently awaiting a Mogwai SE and I am curious to see if a better powered amplifier with more musicality and better tone can help the Auteur overcome some of what I feel is missing from the music with these pads out of the RME ADI 2.

Universe Lambskin:
You get more of that natural timbre that makes ZMFs sound so amazing in the form of more bite on guitars, realistic drum hits, more slam in electronic songs. Of course this comes at the expense of a smaller soundstage compared to the Auteur Lambskin. Overall this is a good middle of the road ear pad and @barbz127 I can see what you're saying that to some listeners the Be2 may be a little bit more treble heavy, but I have only found that on some poorly mastered classical tracks.

Be2 Lambskin:
The thinnest of the three pads for me and this puts my ears closest to the driver. What I love about the Universe pad's timbre and slam applies to the Be2 as well, but with the Be2 you lose a little bit of slam and instead get this added bit of micro detail - both the little sounds you hear on recordings and also different tonality that you straight up do not hear with the other pads. And to me, that is the whole magic of having these high end headphones. The ability to hear sounds that make you say "wow I never heard that in the track before". But again, that's just me :) If I could guess why there are extra micro details and separation... I think it's because the sound waves don't have space to bounce around before hitting your ears. People talk about the VC as being such a "full" sound. Which I agree with and do love about them. But I think the Be2 takes a bit of an edge off that fullness which allows some of those micro details to really come through. You do lose a little bass along with the fullness, but I add a 1 to 4 db bass shelf depending on the track and all is good. Usually for EDM or hip hop. I also think the Be2 may be more holographic than the Universe pads because of the better micro details, but the Auteurs hold the crown with regards to 3d-ness, soundstage and imaging.

Of course everyone's ears are different and I have to say that I do swap the pads from time to time as each brings their own level of enjoyment. Chrono's comparison of the pads is great and he also gives recommendations for how to EQ down the treble energy for the various pads:
https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/zmf-verite-closed-review-1

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #4,931 of 12,461
You guys should try the Auteur hybrid pads for the VC. Its combines the best of the Auteur Lambskin (soundstage, airy highs) and the Be2 (timbre, vocal clarity, 3d holographic sound) while being extremely comfortable.

Feb 21, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #4,932 of 12,461
You guys should try the Auteur hybrid pads for the VC. Its combines the best of the Auteur Lambskin (soundstage, airy highs) and the Be2 (timbre, vocal clarity, 3d holographic sound) while being extremely comfortable.

I have the auteur lambskin auteur hybrid and eikon suede.... And to my ears auteur hybrid wins in terms of comfort and sound.

Feb 22, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #4,933 of 12,461
I've got the suede headband and strap after starting with both in leather and I really like it a lot. It changed the size adjustment by a couple of clicks and so it's useful if you are already on or near the smallest size adjustment. I've not had it long enough to comment on longevity BUT I have to say that these things, including pads, are very affordable. I'm not looking forward to paying out for new earpads on my Stellia but with ZMF headphones you can do it for fun.
Having owned both types of straps, I definitely prefer the suede. It is more padded and more comfortable in my opinion. I like the look of the leather headband, and it seems more durable too. My recommendation is leather headband with suede strap.
Thank you both for your feedback. I think I'm leaning toward the leather band and suede strap combo. I'm just waiting to see what the new LTD VCs look like for February before pulling the trigger.

Feb 22, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #4,934 of 12,461
Hi VC owners,

I became quite interested in VC lately and have a quick question to ask. Does it really take that long to ship (6-12 weeks) if I order now from ZMF's website? Alternatively, is there any sale event I can expect sometime in the future where they will just have a batch ready-to-ship? I very much want to get one now but was worried about the long production lead-time.

Defintely try them out used first.
I had a pair of VO and while they’re great headphones and work very well for many it’s warmth may not be what you want/expect especially with your Diana V2 experience.

I like to go back and read the long and mini reviews/impressions from both “pro” reviewers and the members here on headfi to confirm whether the general consensus is what I agree with (or the odd contrarian/iconoclast I can understand)

Ive noticed a number of people report feeling underwhelmed with the Verite but after spending 7 months with one on my head for 6-8 hrs a day on average (thanks Corona?) I can understand the people who do but also the people who love it especially when matched with an OTL like the Feliks Euforia.

If you enjoy the Abyss signature then the Verite might be interesting or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back