ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Dec 7, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #1,741 of 12,461
...so, I've had my VC for a little over a month and we're becoming fast friends. To me, what differentiates the VC from other headphones (including other ZMFs, though I don't have the VOs yet) is the fast decay and the "holographic" (by which I mean beautifully layered) and wide soundstage. To me, the overall tuning is in the same spirit as the other ZMF dynamics I have spent a lot of time with (Eikon, Atticus, Auteur) - I love the ZMF house sound, and the VC has it too. This seems to fit reasonably well with what others are hearing, I think.

For a self-serving reason, I have been thinking about what songs I might play that quickly demonstrate the uniquely badass sound of the VC.... I have some music loving friends and family coming by in the next few weeks and was thinking of what songs I might pick that would blow their minds and show the differences between the VC and other headphones they've heard. (Admittedly, this idea is particularly for my brother, who thinks I'm crazy for buying headphones this expensive but has no problem buying a new car every 1-2 years...basically whenever the navigation system starts to look slightly dated).

If any of you are game for a thought experiment, here's one: If you had to pick three-ish songs that really show off the unique characteristics of the VC, which ones would you pick?

my list so far is here: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5uxDZvq8p8RzJmkyv9Pnt7?si=Y_jJQ_zZQvS1nhxj8m4OwA, with the top four being:
Lusty Scripps by Fugazi ; Never Never by SBTRKT; all the good girls go to hell by Billie Eilish; Smells Like Content by The Books).

(some of my picks are not among my favorite things to listen to, though I have to like them at least a little bit to make it through the song)

Any songs you all would suggest?

Felix
Hmmm...tough

it’s between these two

Technically 3 but this is just the stripped version of the one above

but...soo many good tracks to be heard and that sound good with the VC!

here is my “curated” I.e. tracks I like for another forum

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #1,742 of 12,461
None of those things has anything to do with good customer service.

Obviously I'm biased ...
You can expect no less than professionalism, reliability and honesty from Headphone Company. It would be great if you visit the Headhone Company during a visit to the beautiful old town of Heidelberg. On my journey through Head-Fi, I often end up in this thread because the pictures are so incredibly beautiful.
Enjoy your beautiful and perfect ZMF VC.:smile_phones:

Dec 7, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #1,743 of 12,461
Does anyone have any experience on the following cables?
1ba20ef37a02c6a28f90152e866d5b9c-full.png

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/172731577206
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/ULTIMATE-AU...var=671307654720&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

How do you reccomend them against ZMF premium cables?

Dec 7, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #1,744 of 12,461
...so, I've had my VC for a little over a month and we're becoming fast friends. To me, what differentiates the VC from other headphones (including other ZMFs, though I don't have the VOs yet) is the fast decay and the "holographic" (by which I mean beautifully layered) and wide soundstage. To me, the overall tuning is in the same spirit as the other ZMF dynamics I have spent a lot of time with (Eikon, Atticus, Auteur) - I love the ZMF house sound, and the VC has it too. This seems to fit reasonably well with what others are hearing, I think.

For a self-serving reason, I have been thinking about what songs I might play that quickly demonstrate the uniquely badass sound of the VC.... I have some music loving friends and family coming by in the next few weeks and was thinking of what songs I might pick that would blow their minds and show the differences between the VC and other headphones they've heard. (Admittedly, this idea is particularly for my brother, who thinks I'm crazy for buying headphones this expensive but has no problem buying a new car every 1-2 years...basically whenever the navigation system starts to look slightly dated).

If any of you are game for a thought experiment, here's one: If you had to pick three-ish songs that really show off the unique characteristics of the VC, which ones would you pick?

my list so far is here: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5uxDZvq8p8RzJmkyv9Pnt7?si=Y_jJQ_zZQvS1nhxj8m4OwA, with the top four being:
Lusty Scripps by Fugazi ; Never Never by SBTRKT; all the good girls go to hell by Billie Eilish; Smells Like Content by The Books).

(some of my picks are not among my favorite things to listen to, though I have to like them at least a little bit to make it through the song)

Felix
Great idea! Will have to chime in after some thought!

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #1,745 of 12,461
Obviously I'm biased ...
You can expect no less than professionalism, reliability and honesty from Headphone Company. It would be great if you visit the Headhone Company during a visit to the beautiful old town of Heidelberg. On my journey through Head-Fi, I often end up in this thread because the pictures are so incredibly beautiful.
Enjoy your beautiful and perfect ZMF VC.:smile_phones:
Like I said before, I experienced the opposite as did my brother who was purchasing separately. He ended up being turned off his purchase altogether and went with something else. I’m sure it may be an isolated case as you don’t stay in business long if you can’t do the bare minimum to keep your customers happy!

Dec 7, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #1,746 of 12,461
Anything Billie Eilish is bada$$ on the Verite I think. Dat bass is slammin'.

Off the top of my head, the old standby Pink Floyd's "Time" . Overplayed I know but the clocks & the ensuing cacophony would indeed showcase that ethereal 3d-ness. Any favorite binaural recordings would work as well I think. Have fun!

Dec 8, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #1,747 of 12,461
Well @raindownthunda offered up his latest aquisitions of tubes in prep for his BHC build for checking out... I think he went a lil too "Alice 'n' wonda land" I blame @Wes S

But that being said, I am having a blast tube swapping and sending him my notes on the different tubes I have found a "magic" Brimar 13d5 already... it just has that "je ne sais quoi" to it... of the 3 Brimars it was a standout...and it was apparently purchased as a matched pair, but sounds to "me" at least better than its brethren. Also of note is a GE 5998A that I wasn't expecting much of but surprised me as a "smooth-operator"

Oh and the Chatham 6080WBs are very nice...anyhow just wanted to share as I am using my Verite Closed as my testing headphones =) (I may have snuck a listen with the Opens and the Aeolus as well...Shhh..don't tell anyone :wink: ) also pay no attention to the lil girl playing "princess" with her toys in the picture lol

A7302120_DxO.jpg

And one without the purple light (for you un-educated in the ways of the Purple!) :wink:

A7302148_DxO.jpg

More on topic with some shots of the VC

A7302136_DxO.jpg

A7302139_DxO.jpg

and the BHC in low light with some pleasing to the eye glow =)
A7302152_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #1,748 of 12,461

Off the top of my head, the old standby Pink Floyd's "Time" . Overplayed I know but the clocks & the ensuing cacophony would indeed showcase that ethereal 3d-ness. Any favorite binaural recordings would work as well I think. Have fun!

Played some Billie Eilish on Deezer hifi...yup the bass is tickling my eardrums

Dec 8, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #1,749 of 12,461
Jinxy,you know were cool and all,but damn you! Right now I hate you!
I had no friggin clue who this Billie Eilish individual is,as I never listen to the radio or watch crappy award shows,so I head over to YouTube to hear what youre talking about....All I can say is,nice eyes,and thats about all she does for me. But thats not why I hate you ATM. YouTube apparently thinks im the worlds biggest BE fan cuz my whole feed is nothing but her vids,interviews,mashups,reaction videos of her watching fans cover her stuff....AAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! Make it stop and bring back my Motorhead videos!

Dec 8, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #1,750 of 12,461

Felix
Hey @Felix the Cat - I always enjoy a good music-focussed take on these chats. I am listening to your playlist now, so thanks. I tend to keep playlists for my "best of" headphone/ amp pairings. There is certainly some overlap in "well produced music" and headphone audition playlists, but I took these from my VC specific playlists. I also tried to include a short and somewhat diverse list (insomuch as I am able). There are some "standards" on there like Yosi Horikawa which is on any "headphone audition list", but the VCs really do them justice!

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/e6f9f0cb-21f7-4c36-993f-2036b5f0ecc4
Thanks to soundiiz.com I quickly made a copy of this playlist on spotify for your use there too.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/257WgFrL0b5QGCQ965Npl7

Dec 8, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #1,752 of 12,461
Jinxy,you know were cool and all,but damn you! Right now I hate you!
I had no friggin clue who this Billie Eilish individual is,as I never listen to the radio or watch crappy award shows,so I head over to YouTube to hear what youre talking about....All I can say is,nice eyes,and thats about all she does for me. But thats not why I hate you ATM. YouTube apparently thinks im the worlds biggest BE fan cuz my whole feed is nothing but her vids,interviews,mashups,reaction videos of her watching fans cover her stuff....AAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! Make it stop and bring back my Motorhead videos!

Lol that's why I usually would go "incognito mode" to go around damn youtube algorithms :D

Dec 8, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #1,753 of 12,461

While I don't have the VC I have the Auteur but can easily say that you can't go wrong with any of these cables:

https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/zmf-2k-copper-rbzz4-nxeg4

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/...-2-3-4-4mx-xc-x-sony-z1r-hifiman-susvara-arya

Both pair fantastically with Zach's headphones :)

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #1,754 of 12,461
While I don't have the VC I have the Auteur but can easily say that you can't go wrong with any of these cables:

https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/zmf-2k-copper-rbzz4-nxeg4

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/...-2-3-4-4mx-xc-x-sony-z1r-hifiman-susvara-arya

Both pair fantastically with Zach's headphones :)

Good quality HP cables are some of the least controversial sound upgrades you can make to top quality headphones. While the ZMFs come with capable default cables, you can really hear higher quality UP OCC copper or silver cables. There are many reasonable brands. What you want to look for is good quality wire. I would be mindful of the least expensive eBay cables as I am not clear what actual wire they are using.

Dec 8, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #1,755 of 12,461
Hmmm...tough

it’s between these two

Technically 3 but this is just the stripped version of the one above

but...soo many good tracks to be heard and that sound good with the VC!

here is my “curated” I.e. tracks I like for another forum

Agnes Obel! Yes sir, her music is so well recorded, and sounds insanely good with the ZMF house sound. Good rec.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back