ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Apr 26, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #1,276 of 2,430
Apr 27, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #1,278 of 2,430
Which would be, like, all of them. :laughing:
Well. . .not actually all of them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: This one is pretty special and was made by GE, but I think this is definitely a fluke.:thinking:

The GE 5814 Pewter Plate is actually in my top 5 of all time. I also know of someone else (@4LoveOfSound), that is quite fond of this tube as well.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. :grin:

20220325_133815.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #1,279 of 2,430
Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #1,280 of 2,430
Well. . .not actually all of them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: This one is pretty special and was made by GE, but I think this is definitely a fluke.:thinking:

The GE 5814 Pewter Plate is actually in my top 5 of all time. I also know of someone else (@4LoveOfSound), that is quite fond of this tube as well.

20220325_133815.jpg
True, I am quite fond of this one. However, I believe it's more Ken-Rad than GE. I believe this particular make is Ken-Rad's design, but produced by GE. The only other GE I have heard is a mid 60's triple mica that's no where near the same league as the early 50's Pewter Plate.

The Ken-Rad 12BH7 should arrive Saturday and the TungSol 12BH7 should arrive Monday. Fun listening ahead!

Apr 28, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #1,281 of 2,430

LOL! As many tubes as they made, it's only logical they screwed up occasionally and made some good sounding ones. :laughing:

Apr 28, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #1,282 of 2,430
LOL! As many tubes as they made, it's only logical they screwed up occasionally and made some good sounding ones. :laughing:
GE was (is) so screwed up that it would screw up trying not to screw up on purpose…🤨😳🤪

Apr 28, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #1,283 of 2,430
GE was (is) so screwed up that it would screw up trying not to screw up on purpose…🤨😳🤪
My brother-in-law has worked been employed there for 35 years. Pretty much sums it up. :laughing:

Apr 29, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #1,285 of 2,430
The Ken-Rad 12BH7 arrived a day early. Guess what I’m listening to?
Nice! So, how does that tube sound? I did see one Grey Plate Ken-Rad 52' get sold on Ebay and I wonder if that is the one you bought. Looks a lot like some G.E. versions I have seen.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #1,286 of 2,430
I recently took a break from my full sized rig, as I got bit by the iem bug again and had not listened with my Pendant & VC for a week or so until last night. I have been buring in the Tung Sol 12BH7 Black Oval Plate D Getter though for the past week as well, and with what I was hearing last night, it has just taken the poll position for me with it's amazing holographic stage and killer detail, all while being completely fatigue free. The impact and texture are first class as well, and this tube has elevated my listening experience once again. Sounds fly all around my head with the crazy awesome staging, and the detail and nuance coming through is top notch. The sound is so addictive, that I am already up at 4am listening again. :o2smile: Of note, I have this tube paired up with Tungsram EL84 Welded Plate Foil O Getters and a Tungsram EZ81 Welded Plate Foil Disc Getter, and combined with the Tung Sol it's perfection.

This tube is legit.

20220429_042619.jpg

Apr 29, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #1,287 of 2,430
Nice! So, how does that tube sound? I did see one Grey Plate Ken-Rad 52' get sold on Ebay and I wonder if that is the one you bought. Looks a lot like some G.E. versions I have seen.
That’s it! That was probably me. After a short listening time last night, I would say it sounds a lot like the early 50’s 5814. The sound stage is huge though! It sounded excellent right from turn on unlike the CBS that really benefited from an hour or so of warm up. I am definitely a fan of the Ken-Rad sound. The TungSol is still on track for Monday. It will be fun to compare the 2.

Apr 29, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #1,288 of 2,430
That’s it! That was probably me. After a short listening time last night, I would say it sounds a lot like the early 50’s 5814. The sound stage is huge though! It sounded excellent right from turn on unlike the CBS that really benefited from an hour or so of warm up. I am definitely a fan of the Ken-Rad sound. The TungSol is still on track for Monday. It will be fun to compare the 2.
Cool! There is nothing better than finding a "house sound" that jives with your preferences, and sounds like Ken-Rad is your thing. Having heard both house sounds myself, I think the Tung Sol and Ken-Rad are 2 of the better ones when it comes to transparency, detail, staging and bass, and I am really looking forward to how you like that Tung-Sol when it arrives. Happy Listening my friend.

Apr 29, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #1,289 of 2,430
Cool! There is nothing better than finding a "house sound" that jives with your preferences, and sounds like Ken-Rad is your thing. Having heard both house sounds myself, I think the Tung Sol and Ken-Rad are 2 of the better ones when it comes to transparency, detail, staging and bass, and I am really looking forward to how you like that Tung-Sol when it arrives. Happy Listening my friend.
The TungSol is arriving early. Might be here today, if not tomorrow. Won’t have to wait until Monday! The Ken-Rad definitely is transparent and detailed, a little more so than the 5814 version. Surprisingly, the 5814 might have a slight edge on bass.

Apr 29, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #1,290 of 2,430
The TungSol is in the Pendant. Wow! The Ken-Rad is good, but this TungSol is amazing! Nice find @Wes S Deeper bass than the Ken-Rad, beautiful sparkly highs. Nice linear sound. I think the Ken-Rad has an edge on stage width. The TungSol is a little more forward. Both excellent and I’ll listen to them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back