ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Apr 10, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #1,216 of 2,449
I can’t say I won’t get the closed Atrium as well…… I would get rid of at least one of my open backs if/when that happens. It’s just so hard to part with any of them. They all do sound unique and awesome in their own ways! Zach is really right when he says he doesn’t build tiered headphones (good, better, best) just different flavors. I love all my ZMFs for different reasons. One thing they all have in common, they are works of art! The Atrium sounds the most expansive on the Pendant SE, followed by the RH-5, followed by my iFi Gryphon. The Gryphon is a truly excellent portable solution. My VC and Aoleus particularly sound fantastic paired with it.

Apr 10, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #1,217 of 2,449
The Atrium sounds the most expansive on the Pendant SE, followed by the RH-5, followed by my iFi Gryphon. The Gryphon is a truly excellent portable solution. My VC and Aoleus particularly sound fantastic paired with it.

Thanks, this means a lot for us, really. Before xDSD Gryphon's release we knew that it's really something special in comparison to our other portable and transportable DAC/amp devices, but nothing beats reading about how you folks here on HF see this particular product. May it serve you well, thanks :) !

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 11, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #1,219 of 2,449
Some of us remember this classic song and it’s dedicated to Wes S

“Don’t Bogard those Hytron’s, my friend, pass them over to me!“
LOL and sorry ya'll! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: If there was ever a tube to hoard. . . the early Hytron 12BH7 is definitely one of them.

My Atticus and VC both sing to their full potential with this tube.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #1,220 of 2,449
@Wes S have you ever tried a Raytheon black plate triple mica windmill getter 5814? I think I remember you saying the double mica versions were better????

Apr 12, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #1,221 of 2,449
@Wes S have you ever tried a Raytheon black plate triple mica windmill getter 5814? I think I remember you saying the double mica versions were better????
I have not actually heard the black plate triple mica version of the Raytheon 5814, but have been a little curious about that one as well.

Apr 13, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #1,222 of 2,449
Well I figured out which Ken-Rad is making the crackle noise. It does it in the Pendant too :slight_frown:

Apr 13, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #1,223 of 2,449
Apr 14, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #1,224 of 2,449
The legendary Hytron 12BH7 in it's earliest versions. . .and they change construction a bit going from 50', 51', and then 52'. Interesting thing is that these tubes all have the date codes still visible on them, and with the early Hytron version (not bought by CBS yet) the raised D Getter is the earliest, of which I originally thought the Angled Square Getter was the earliest. They sure did some interesting things in the early days, like the dual support rods going from mica to mica on the version made in 50', and as it usually goes with tubes the earliest version is the one I prefer the most. Don't get me wrong though, all 3 versions are quite close in sound. I find it quite interesting, that you can see the evolution of the design and where CBS picked up and bought out Hytron taking over the Angled Square Getter design as their first and then in the 60's they brought back the Raised D Getter again. As someone that has seen and owned quite a bit of older NOS tubes, it always amazes me how quickly the inner construction of tubes changed/evolved in the early days.

Left to right - 50' (Raised D Getter Dual Support Rods), 51' (Angled D Getter), 52' (Angled Square Getter)

20220413_165625.jpg

All 3 of these early version Hytron's are legit, and worth the hunt folks.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #1,225 of 2,449
Well I figured out which Ken-Rad is making the crackle noise. It does it in the Pendant too :slight_frown:
Bummer about the noisy Ken-Rad! The Pendant is great at weeding out the bad tubes, as it will definitely let you know if you have one.

I hope you are able to find a replacement, as I know you love that tube.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #1,226 of 2,449
Bummer about the noisy Ken-Rad! The Pendant is great at weeding out the bad tubes, as it will definitely let you know if you have one.

I hope you are able to find a replacement, as I know you love that tube.
It’s actually worse in the Rogue. I was surprised. Fortunately I have a pair of these so still good with the Pendant SE, just a no go in the Rogue. Not the end of the World, I put my second on hand fav back in there, the lovely Sylvania’s! I had found a set of the early Hytron’s, but SOMEONE snatched them out from under me lol. You snooze you lose.

Apr 14, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #1,227 of 2,449
Nothing better than a short listening session before work to start the day off and put me in a better state of mind. :grin:

Got to love that early morning tube glow!

20220325_061802.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #1,228 of 2,449
I cleaned the pins really good with a brass brush and some contact cleaner and I may have solved the problem. So far so good..... This tube really makes my new Atrium's sing!

Apr 14, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #1,229 of 2,449
The 51’s are good to go after cleaning the pins and I just bought a set of 1952’s. Hopefully they sound the same. The construction looks the same.

Apr 14, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #1,230 of 2,449
The 51’s are good to go after cleaning the pins and I just bought a set of 1952’s. Hopefully they sound the same. The construction looks the same.
That's awesome cleaning the pins worked out for you! I hear about that working for people all the time, but strangely enough it's never worked for me and I have tried that with quite a few tubes over the years. Curious what contact cleaner did you use, and also what kind of noise were you getting?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back