ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Oct 28, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #796 of 2,430
My package with 3 RFT foil getter ECC81 finally arrived and all 3 test OK with plate to plate within 15% on 2 tubes and the 3rd near identical readings, plate to plate.

My single 1958 ECC83 RFT, Funkwert Erfurt foil getter is in route and I should have it soon!

I'll have time to listen tonight.
Fun times ahead! Good to know his tubes test so well, too.

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #797 of 2,430
Speaking of RFT, I was able to purchase a batch of EZ81 rectifier tubes (for the Woo WA2) with D-foil getters! Until now, my RFT EZ81s sported halo getters…
🎉🍾🎊

Oct 29, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #798 of 2,430
I gotta say that the RFT ECC81 foil getter tubes, at $15, may be the best bargain in tube audio if you can use 12AT7. NOT because they are so inexpensive and a genuine Giant Killer of a tube but because they simply sound fantastic!!!

Crazy great detail, clarity and resolution without any nasty sibilance as well as nice deep bass.

Wes S has found some great tubes over the years, but the RFT are indeed the real deal.
My Bigger Ben, paired with susvara, has never sounded so good and that is truly something special!

1958 Funkwert ECC 83 foil getter is already in the states and should arrive soon.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #799 of 2,430
I gotta say that the RFT ECC81 foil getter tubes, at $15, may be the best bargain in tube audio if you can use 12AT7. NOT because they are so inexpensive and a genuine Giant Killer of a tube but because they simply sound fantastic!!!

Crazy great detail, clarity and resolution without any nasty sibilance as well as nice deep bass.

Wes S has found some great tubes over the years, but the RFT are indeed the real deal.
My Bigger Ben, paired with susvara, has never sounded so good and that is truly something special!

1958 Funkwert ECC 83 foil getter is already in the states and should arrive soon.
That's awesome man! I had a feeling you were gonna like them. :smile: I can only imagine how good they sound with your setup. With a setup like that and the RFT Foil Getter as the driver, you are most likely hearing some of the best sound possible. Good stuff!

Oct 30, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #800 of 2,430
Just checking in to say I have been doing some tube rolling as usual, and found another killer pairing with the Sylvania Black Plate 6BQ5's and it seems no matter what driver tube you put in front of them it sounds killer with my Atticus. I just rolled in one of my Tungsram ECC82 Black Welded Plates, and dang it's sounding really freaking good. These Sylvania Black Plates really are a perfect match in the Pendant with my Atticus, and it seems they play well with quite a few different flavors of driver tubes. I am liking these Sylvania so much, I just bought a backup set and at $60 bucks for a matched NOS pair they are hard to beat. I love how cheap the tubes are for the Pendant compared to some of the other tube amps out there. Back to blissful listening . . .:grin:

Oct 30, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #801 of 2,430
The "Back Plate Special" tube combo.

20211030_061559.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #802 of 2,430
Just checking in to say I have been doing some tube rolling as usual, and found another killer pairing with the Sylvania Black Plate 6BQ5's and it seems no matter what driver tube you put in front of them it sounds killer with my Atticus. I just rolled in one of my Tungsram ECC82 Black Welded Plates, and dang it's sounding really freaking good. These Sylvania Black Plates really are a perfect match in the Pendant with my Atticus, and it seems they play well with quite a few different flavors of driver tubes. I am liking these Sylvania so much, I just bought a backup set and at $60 bucks for a matched NOS pair they are hard to beat. I love how cheap the tubes are for the Pendant compared to some of the other tube amps out there. Back to blissful listening . . .:grin:
Back when I had an amp that used 6BQ5's, these Tungsrams with the round plates were my favorites over many others (although I never tried any Sylvanias). Fast and clean with nimble yet authoritative bass.

(bent and corroded pins are optional :laughing:)
EL84 Tungsram.jpg

Oct 30, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #803 of 2,430
Back when I had an amp that used 6BQ5's, these Tungsrams with the round plates were my favorites over many others (although I never tried any Sylvanias). Fast and clean with nimble yet authoritative bass.

(bent and corroded pins are optional :laughing:)
Yes sir! I have several pairs of that version of Tungsram, and they are dynamic, punchy and clean with big bass. The earlier Foil Disc Getter and even earlier Foil O Getter versions of that tube of which I also have and was running for months, are even better with a much more refined and tighter sound than the O Getter. All three are fantastic tubes.

I am actually digging the Sylvania Black Plate even more and they have taken the Tungsram's Foil O Getters top spot.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #804 of 2,430
@Wes S had found and tried yet another KILLER tube in the Funwert foil getter ECC83 / 12AX7. Mine is 1958 production.

At this point I can't say that it is better than the RFT foil getter ECC81 / 12AT7 at just a few tracks in but my initial impressions are that it may be the RFT's equal or perhaps better.

These are 2 inexpensive yet fantastic tubes and may displace the GEC A2900 in my BB!

Nov 3, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #805 of 2,430
@Wes S had found and tried yet another KILLER tube in the Funwert foil getter ECC83 / 12AX7. Mine is 1958 production.

At this point I can't say that it is better than the RFT foil getter ECC81 / 12AT7 at just a few tracks in but my initial impressions are that it may be the RFT's equal or perhaps better.

These are 2 inexpensive yet fantastic tubes and may displace the GEC A2900 in my BB!
Heck yeah man! I am alternating between a Funwerk ECC81 and ECC83 foil getter both from 58' with the single getter post, and can't get enough. I think the earlier Funkwerk's have just a bit more warmth and a slightly more organic sound compared to the slightly brighter more expansive sounding RFT dual post foil getter . Both are fantastic, but slightly different.

Nov 3, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #806 of 2,430

Mine was processed through Kiev on October 20. Nothing since. Ebay says delivery by December 6. The 2 RFTs I bought only took about 2 weeks to arrive. Fortunately it was cheap, so if it’s lost in the shipping black hole, not a big deal.

Nov 3, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #807 of 2,430
General question: Can you run headphones out of both 8 and 100 ohm taps at the same time?

Nov 4, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #808 of 2,430
Heck yeah man! I am alternating between a Funwerk ECC81 and ECC83 foil getter both from 58' with the single getter post, and can't get enough. I think the earlier Funkwerk's have just a bit more warmth and a slightly more organic sound compared to the slightly brighter more expansive sounding RFT dual post foil getter . Both are fantastic, but slightly different.
All my ECC81, 82, 83 have foil getters. The Funkwert ECC83 have single getter supports. The RFT branded ECC81 and ECC82 have dual getter supports.

Most importantly, they all sound really nice!!!

Nov 5, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #809 of 2,430
Today's tube roll is another dynamite pairing with my Atticus. The sound is huge and clear with really good impact, and lovely vocals. The Sylvania 6BQ5 Black Plates have a nice well balanced clean and open sound with good impact, combined with the Brimar's deep stage, intimate vocals, deep punchy bass, and extended but smooth highs and then throw in the hard hitting and dynamic G.E.C. U709 for the rectification and it's a heavenly sound with my Atticus. These three brands of tubes really compliment each other's strengths. Also, this is the quietest tube roll I have encountered in the Pendant SE so far, so the blacker background is really helping with this heavenly sound.

Input - Brimar CV4035 Box Plate O Getter

Power - Sylvania 6BQ5 Black Plate O Getters

Rectifier - G.E.C. U709 Black Plate Square Getter

20211105_055727.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #810 of 2,430
When I had a Pendant there were SO many combo's that sounded really good to flat out great!
Wes has the patience to methodically swap tubes and then listen to what he hears. I would either change too many at one time or lose track of what rectifier, input and power tubes I had used in a given combination.

The nice thing, for me, about the BB amp is the input tube is generally the only one I swap so I'm am not wondering what tube did what!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back