ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Mar 7, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #2,506 of 2,544
It has been quite some time since I have had the Ori out for a spin.
Every time I put it on it is a very enjoyable experience!
DSC05415.JPG

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #2,507 of 2,544
It has been quite some time since I have had the Ori out for a spin.
Every time I put it on it is a very enjoyable experience!

Exactly my experience. And exactly my Ori (we both have ormosia henryi).

When I compare the Ori head-to-head with headphones like the Aeolus, VO, VC, I can hear that it doesn't reach quite as far as they do in resolution (especially the VO, which is in its own class for resolution) and really fine little spatial details.

But I don't care that it falls short (by surprisingly little) when compared to these other fine headphones. It's just so enjoyable & musical.

Judged against other planars, you start to see what an overachiever the Ori really is: the bass is borderline spectacular, one of the best I've yet heard; soundstaging is way above average for a closed back; and the musical vibe extends from bottom to top--it all sounds like one organic headphone "voice" with no spotlighting of any frequencies.

Really hard to imagine a situation where I would sell this headphone: deafness? insanity? pestilence? (oh, wait--I already have 2 out of 3!)

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #2,508 of 2,544
Exactly my experience. And exactly my Ori (we both have ormosia henryi).

When I compare the Ori head-to-head with headphones like the Aeolus, VO, VC, I can hear that it doesn't reach quite as far as they do in resolution (especially the VO, which is in its own class for resolution) and really fine little spatial details.

But I don't care that it falls short (by surprisingly little) when compared to these other fine headphones. It's just so enjoyable & musical.

Judged against other planars, you start to see what an overachiever the Ori really is: the bass is borderline spectacular, one of the best I've yet heard; soundstaging is way above average for a closed back; and the musical vibe extends from bottom to top--it all sounds like one organic headphone "voice" with no spotlighting of any frequencies.

Really hard to imagine a situation where I would sell this headphone: deafness? insanity? pestilence? (oh, wait--I already have 2 out of 3!)

I hear you brother....love the bass on these, it makes me smile.
I just listened on high gain on the GS-X mk2 and it not only sounds spectacular...but you also feel it, the drivers are moving nicely ....so flippin" fun!
Just listened to Chris Stapleton's "Death Row'

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #2,509 of 2,544
I have to bring out my trusted Ori for a listen every now and then. For the last few days I've been using it with the Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Gold X and that is a great combo! The trademark Ori bass is deep and juicy and the treble is smooth and musical, but it's the midrange of this combo that stands out to my ears. It's very open and transparent while remaining musical and involving. It's very easy to follow the lyrics and you can easily hear the various layers of each track. The Ori is a great headphone that keeps amazing me over the years.

Apr 12, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #2,510 of 2,544
I have to bring out my trusted Ori for a listen every now and then. For the last few days I've been using it with the Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Gold X and that is a great combo! The trademark Ori bass is deep and juicy and the treble is smooth and musical, but it's the midrange of this combo that stands out to my ears. It's very open and transparent while remaining musical and involving. It's very easy to follow the lyrics and you can easily hear the various layers of each track. The Ori is a great headphone that keeps amazing me over the years.

I couldn't agree more about the Ori. Every time I bring it out, its sound is totally satisfying. So long as you have an amp that can bring the power this planar needs, it will amply reward you.

Your post gives me a twinge because some months back I got the LGX -- based on fragmentary but positive comments about its sound, plus my admiration for the Liquid Carbon -- and ended up returning it when I found Monoprice could offer no driver for the DAC (I don't have Windows 10). How do you like its sound overall?

Apr 12, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #2,511 of 2,544
I couldn't agree more about the Ori. Every time I bring it out, its sound is totally satisfying. So long as you have an amp that can bring the power this planar needs, it will amply reward you.

Your post gives me a twinge because some months back I got the LGX -- based on fragmentary but positive comments about its sound, plus my admiration for the Liquid Carbon -- and ended up returning it when I found Monoprice could offer no driver for the DAC (I don't have Windows 10). How do you like its sound overall?

Yes, I remember your struggles with getting a DAC driver for the Liquid Gold X. I'm sorry to hear that Monoprice was unable to find a solution for you. This will probably not make you feel any better, but I don't actually use the built-in DAC beyond the initial listen to compare it to my Bifrost Multibit. It's not that the DAC sounds bad (it doesn't); I just prefer the Schiit multibit sound.

As for the Liquid Gold X I really enjoy it, although I'm not sure that it's a huge step up from the already excellent Liquid Platinum. I think that we all got spoiled by the Liquid Platinum and that maybe muted the reception of the Liquid Gold X somewhat. To my ears the Liquid Gold X souds especially good with planar magnetic headphones. It makes my Audeze LCD-2 and MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open and Closed sound better than I've heard from any other amp. However, this requires you to use the balanced output. I'm not too excited about the single-ended output - it's good to have for practical reasons but the balanced output sounds better to my ears.

Apr 12, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #2,512 of 2,544
Yes, I remember your struggles with getting a DAC driver for the Liquid Gold X. I'm sorry to hear that Monoprice was unable to find a solution for you. This will probably not make you feel any better, but I don't actually use the built-in DAC beyond the initial listen to compare it to my Bifrost Multibit. It's not that the DAC sounds bad (it doesn't); I just prefer the Schiit multibit sound.

As for the Liquid Gold X I really enjoy it, although I'm not sure that it's a huge step up from the already excellent Liquid Platinum. I think that we all got spoiled by the Liquid Platinum and that maybe muted the reception of the Liquid Gold X somewhat. To my ears the Liquid Gold X souds especially good with planar magnetic headphones. It makes my Audeze LCD-2 and MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open and Closed sound better than I've heard from any other amp. However, this requires you to use the balanced output. I'm not too excited about the single-ended output - it's good to have for practical reasons but the balanced output sounds better to my ears.

Well, "feel better" is all relative. I have a bit of an amp addiction, meaning I already have 5 that please me in differing ways, and don't literally need another. The best of them is the V281, which is the best SS sound signature I've yet heard.

My problem is that I remain interested in that sound signature (great bass, dynamics, slight warmth, realism & musicality, unforced detail) and am chronically interested in how this or that other amp might do it.

I've read so many positive things (and a few qualified negative things) about the LP, but didn't "go there" for 2 good reasons: reluctance to go down the tube-roll rabbit hole again; and reluctance to wrestle with the relatively high gain of the LP (at lowest gain setting) in my complex desktop system already beset with gain issues.

I'm still curious about the LGX and may eventually pick up one F.S., as I never actually heard the amp section.

Apr 12, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #2,513 of 2,544
I've read so many positive things (and a few qualified negative things) about the LP, but didn't "go there" for 2 good reasons: reluctance to go down the tube-roll rabbit hole again; and reluctance to wrestle with the relatively high gain of the LP (at lowest gain setting) in my complex desktop system already beset with gain issues.

I'm still curious about the LGX and may eventually pick up one F.S., as I never actually heard the amp section.

Not to add to your temptations, but I've heard the Liquid Gold X described as sounding kind of like a Liquid Platinum with really good tubes. I use vintage Amperex tubes (which may or may not fit the definition of 'really good' tubes) in my Liquid Platinum and I can definitely hear the similarities between the two amps.

Interestingly, I often prefer the single-ended output of the Liquid Platinum but I always (at least so far) prefer the balanced output of the Liquid Gold X.

Apr 12, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #2,514 of 2,544
Not to add to your temptations

Hey, don't hold back! Tempting others is a major function of membership here.

I picture each of us as a siren of Homer's ODDYSEY, causing others to lose their minds and steer the boat into the cliffs.

(I'm always on standby, ready to hurtle into the abyss)

May 6, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #2,515 of 2,544
Ive had an loved the ori since 2015. Focused on home stereo system until recently. Now what hps do you guys use to supplement the ori? I have he560 as well for an open planar and ye old q701 with its funky stage . Those Focals keep yellin at me. Damn they has the dynamics. Id love to try one of zachs dynamic drivers but so damn high and since i have the vibro and ori i feel i should try something else. No place to try them out here.

May 7, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #2,516 of 2,544
Ive had an loved the ori since 2015. Focused on home stereo system until recently. Now what hps do you guys use to supplement the ori? I have he560 as well for an open planar and ye old q701 with its funky stage . Those Focals keep yellin at me. Damn they has the dynamics. Id love to try one of zachs dynamic drivers but so damn high and since i have the vibro and ori i feel i should try something else. No place to try them out here.
ZMF Ori - Closed Planar
ZMF VC - Closed Dynamic
LCD-4 - Open Planar

May 7, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #2,517 of 2,544
ZMF Ori - Closed Planar
ZMF VC - Closed Dynamic
LCD-4 - Open Planar
The ori is my go to . thats why i asked here. The 2 i principally use are the ori and he560. Thanks for response. I miss those bombastic dynamics of my only focal , the classic. Different tier but.....damn that was cool

May 7, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #2,518 of 2,544
The ori is my go to . thats why i asked here. The 2 i principally use are the ori and he560. Thanks for response. I miss those bombastic dynamics of my only focal , the classic. Different tier but.....damn that was cool
Maybe go just go with the focal...you seem to like it. :)
I could live with just the Ori if I had to even though there are more revealing ZMF headphones that are technically far superior that I like better.
The Ori is a heckuva lot of fun and I am addicted to the bass of this headphone

May 7, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #2,519 of 2,544
Maybe go just go with the focal...you seem to like it. :)
I could live with just the Ori if I had to even though there are more revealing ZMF headphones that are technically far superior that I like better.

(nodding in agreement)

The blackwood Aeolus & silkwood VO are so good (in somewhat different ways), that each time I revisit the Ori, I'm 1/2-expecting disappointment w/it for the 1st time. But that never happens. Almost immediately I rediscover everything I liked about the Ori from day-1: that amazing planar bass, huge soundstage for a closedback, and top-to-bottom organic, musical sound.

True, it doesn't resolve quite as well as the others. But I don't listen to "resolution" -- I listen to music. And the Ori is all about music.

May 8, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #2,520 of 2,544
(nodding in agreement)

The blackwood Aeolus & silkwood VO are so good (in somewhat different ways), that each time I revisit the Ori, I'm 1/2-expecting disappointment w/it for the 1st time. But that never happens. Almost immediately I rediscover everything I liked about the Ori from day-1: that amazing planar bass, huge soundstage for a closedback, and top-to-bottom organic, musical sound.

True, it doesn't resolve quite as well as the others. But I don't listen to "resolution" -- I listen to music. And the Ori is all about music.
Absolutely. It never disappoints and it makes my head bob and feet tap and everyone knows that is the most important thing when listening to music :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back