ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Apr 20, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #2,477 of 2,544
I have been listening to my Ori for the last few days.

Puts a smile on my face every time I hear it.
Killer sound...fun...fun....fun :yum:

Apr 20, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #2,478 of 2,544
I have been listening to my Ori for the last few days.

Puts a smile on my face every time I hear it.
Killer sound...fun...fun....fun :yum:

I couldn't agree more. Recently did a little shoot out between Aeolus & Ori. The Aeolus is slightly better overall, but they're both outstanding. Love the subtly different ways they reproduce bass: both have excellent low ends, but sound rather different.

Every time I go back to the Ori it pleases me greatly.

Apr 20, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #2,479 of 2,544
The Aeolus is slightly better overall, but they're both outstanding. Love the subtly different ways they reproduce bass: both have excellent low ends, but sound rather different.

Can you expand on this... how is the Aeolus slightly better? How is the sound of the bass different?

I ask because I sold my Aeolus after I bought original pre-Fazor LCD-2s. But... I need a closed back for work, so I have an Omni on the way.

Thanks!

Apr 20, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #2,480 of 2,544
I couldn't agree more. Recently did a little shoot out between Aeolus & Ori. The Aeolus is slightly better overall, but they're both outstanding. Love the subtly different ways they reproduce bass: both have excellent low ends, but sound rather different.

Every time I go back to the Ori it pleases me greatly.

I could not agree more about this sound being very pleasing as I feel the same way.

Apr 20, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #2,481 of 2,544
Can you expand on this... how is the Aeolus slightly better? How is the sound of the bass different?

I ask because I sold my Aeolus after I bought original pre-Fazor LCD-2s. But... I need a closed back for work, so I have an Omni on the way.

Thanks!

I've posted here in past re Aeolus vs Ori sound. Below are links to 3 relevant posts:

(post #2408)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-ori-omni-upcoming-semi-open-flagship.769682/page-161

(post #2435)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-ori-omni-upcoming-semi-open-flagship.769682/page-163

(post #2469)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-ori-omni-upcoming-semi-open-flagship.769682/page-165

BTW, I still own a unicorn pre-fazor LCD-2.1. It's a great headphone w/excellent bass--but the bass of the Ori is still better.

May 11, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #2,483 of 2,544
I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but checking that the various dampening materials are, in order from least to most effect, thin gray nylon squares (4 in pack), white foam squares (2), thicker gray foam squares (2).

I know I could check w Zach, but figure he has better things to do right now.

May 11, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #2,484 of 2,544
I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but checking that the various dampening materials are, in order from least to most effect, thin gray nylon squares (4 in pack), white foam squares (2), thicker gray foam squares (2).

Yes you seem to be right, or at least that's what my complicated 'blow into them and see how hard it is to do so' tests indicate.

May 11, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #2,485 of 2,544

You got it!

After owning the Ori for ~1 yr, I started thinking they were a little sharp in the upper mids/low treble. Zach sent the 3 types of dampening material you mention. All it took was a single 1" square gray dacron fabric piece over the driver/each earcup. Perfect!

I keep meaning to take those dacron square out & re-listen. I've come a appreciate treble more than in past (perceptions definitely change over time).

May 11, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #2,486 of 2,544
By "dacron", do you mean the thin nylon or the foam? I can't imagine the thin nylon making any change on its own.

Mine came with the gray foam over each driver. I'd like to go to one layer of the nylon with the thinner white foam, but the white foam is smaller than the cutout and seems to move around. The gray foam fills the cutout exactly and does not shift. All that to say I'd like to get bigger pieces of the thin white foam to fill the cutout.

May 11, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #2,487 of 2,544
By "dacron", do you mean the thin nylon or the foam? I can't imagine the thin nylon making any change on its own.

Mine came with the gray foam over each driver. I'd like to go to one layer of the nylon with the thinner white foam, but the white foam is smaller than the cutout and seems to move around. The gray foam fills the cutout exactly and does not shift. All that to say I'd like to get bigger pieces of the thin white foam to fill the cutout.

Dacron is a thin fabric, much like rayon. It kinda looks like fine silk, but is really fine dacron (artificial fiber). If I'm wrong about dacron--if that material is really nylon--sorry for confusing you. Point is that only 1 of the 3 types of dampening materials is a fabric; the other 2 are foams of various density/thickness.

It would take me time to find my little goodie-bag with those damping materials. I seem to recall the white foam pieces being round w/round hole in the center? (could be wrong).

If the shape of the white foam doesn't work, try two fabric squares over each driver.

May 11, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #2,488 of 2,544
If the shape of the white foam doesn't work, try two fabric squares over each driver.

My bad, dacron is actually a form of polyester, not nylon.

Again, all 4 pieces are smaller than the cutout and shift around. I don't hate the sound with the gray foam. The highs are slightly recessed, so I'd like to bring them forward a bit without being edgy.

Thin double sided tape like what Dekoni uses on their ear pads around the outer edge of the cutout would allow me to get the different materials (in larger size) to stay put.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #2,489 of 2,544
Delete

May 11, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #2,490 of 2,544
You got it!

After owning the Ori for ~1 yr, I started thinking they were a little sharp in the upper mids/low treble. Zach sent the 3 types of dampening material you mention. All it took was a single 1" square gray dacron fabric piece over the driver/each earcup. Perfect!

I keep meaning to take those dacron square out & re-listen. I've come a appreciate treble more than in past (perceptions definitely change over time).
"It's all about that bass" is not a theme song that ages well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back