ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Sep 27, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #542 of 2,544
I was expecting to like the cowhide pads with the Cherry cups. But I found them too dark - the protein pads tame the bass to my tastes (I'm really into clean, tight bass. Pure slam/impact is appreciated, but the subwoofery effect with cowhide pads was too much for me) The cherry omnis with protein pads are perhaps not as incisive as the walnuts, but they make me just want to sit back and listen to the music. The clarity and musicality are superb, balanced, and my critical listening ears don't need to be on for me to know I'm just enjoying the music.

Will post more impressions after more listening. Also willing to focus on specifics if people want. I've listened to the Omnis extensively so I pretty much got what I knew them to be (this is 100% a good thing)

Sep 27, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #543 of 2,544
PianoMan, do you have any musical preferences with the Omnis? I am looking for relaxing sq, one that I can listen to both great and poor recordings.

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #545 of 2,544
PianoMan, do you have any musical preferences with the Omnis? I am looking for relaxing sq, one that I can listen to both great and poor recordings.

I listen to a pretty crazy variety of music, some very old, some very new, and some that's being made currently! Everything from YouTube streaming to my few HD tracks and large library of CD rips sounds wonderfully warm and invitingly musical. I'm really enjoying some Beethoven 7 on YouTube and it's truly glorious. Earlier I was enjoying some Bruce Springsteen, Cat Empire, and Anjelique Kidjo CD rips that were also wonderful.
I do notice recording fidelity and micro details but relaxing and enjoying the music is so easy with the Omni I find they very easily get me to that "drift away" spot.
Hope that helps : )

Sep 28, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #547 of 2,544
Just bought the Walnuts and I am super super excited. However, I just read about lesser known headphone called the Enigma designed by LFF. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Yes, I do actually! The Enigma is a VERY nice headphone. I actually wrote a review stating as much. :) However, in my opinion it's somewhat genre limited. It's extremely beautiful and relaxing, but it falls short when using it for faster music such as rock and metal. The walnut Omni is going to be a much better all-rounder while still maintaining a very pleasant and natural sound. The soundstage is also going to be deeper and more natural (although potentially not as wide).

Overall these are both excellent headphones. I already have fast, aggressive headphones, so for my own preference I might choose the Enigma to round out my flexibility. I think for most people the Omnis are going to be much better value, though.

Sep 28, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #548 of 2,544
Yes, I do actually! The Enigma is a VERY nice headphone. I actually wrote a review stating as much. :) However, in my opinion it's somewhat genre limited. It's extremely beautiful and relaxing, but it falls short when using it for faster music such as rock and metal. The walnut Omni is going to be a much better all-rounder while still maintaining a very pleasant and natural sound. The soundstage is also going to be deeper and more natural (although potentially not as wide).

Overall these are both excellent headphones. I already have fast, aggressive headphones, so for my own preference I might choose the Enigma to round out my flexibility. I think for most people the Omnis are going to be much better value, though.
Thanks! This made me feel even more confident about my purchase.

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #549 of 2,544

A series of reviews and amps on Innerfidelity showed that nobody was crazy about the Enigma Dharma headphones.
I think the best one reviewer stated was that they had good bass,good high, but what was in between was weird.
This just in...the last reviewer Bob Katz picked them as his 3rd favorite

Sep 28, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #550 of 2,544

A series of reviews and amps on Innerfidelity showed that nobody was crazy about the Enigma Dharma headphones.
I think the best one reviewer stated was that they had good bass,good high, but what was in between was weird.

Wrong headphones bud. Lff enigmas have t50 drivers. And actually the Dharma did very well at Big Sound. Better than the Ether and LCDs

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #552 of 2,544
mmm... hoping for an update from Zach soon... was hoping to get the Omnis before canjam 
frown.gif

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #553 of 2,544
  mmm... hoping for an update from Zach soon... was hoping to get the Omnis before canjam 
frown.gif

There's a number of Omni's going out this week, with 2-3 sets going out each day starting tomorrow through friday.

If your slated to have your set ship this week and don't get it in time for CanJam you can stop by the JDS Labs booth as they will have a Cherry and Blackwood Omni on hand.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 29, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #554 of 2,544
There's a number of Omni's going out this week, with 2-3 sets going out each day starting tomorrow through friday.

If your slated to have your set ship this week and don't get it in time for CanJam you can stop by the JDS Labs booth as they will have a Cherry and Blackwood Omni on hand.

Thanks for the heads up! Next stop... JDS labs booth

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #555 of 2,544
If I have room in the bag, I'll bring the Walnuts with me. I'll be bringing my DAC-19 and Liquid Carbon, though, so we'll see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back