ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Sep 22, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #526 of 2,544
  I understand. The PM-3 was the headphone on the top of my list to get to replace my Fidelio X2s- they were wayyyyy to bass heavy for me, and I listen to a lot of Hip Hop. I like accurate representations of the music that I listen to and I thought the neutral PM-3 would satisfy me. However, I decided that I would might as well buy an end game headphone. That being said, I'm still a student on a budget and I would like to spend as little money as possible. I can get the Alpha Primes for 650 and the Omnis for 750. It's hard to choose...
Would you guys say they are bass heavy? I like more neutral sounding headphones. 

The X2 is decently bassy for an open headphone.  Honestly, I don't think you're going to like the Omni if you find the X2 "wayyyyy" too bass heavy.  Given your preferences and your budget, I'd say your best bet is either to stick with the PM-3, or maybe look into the ZMF Blackwood (not the Blackwood Omni, just the Blackwood).  You'll probably like the HE-560 also, but I don't know if you really need to drop that much cash at this stage.

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #527 of 2,544

The X2 is decently bassy for an open headphone.  Honestly, I don't think you're going to like the Omni if you find the X2 "wayyyyy" too bass heavy.  Given your preferences and your budget, I'd say your best bet is either to stick with the PM-3, or maybe look into the ZMF Blackwood (not the Blackwood Omni, just the Blackwood).  You'll probably like the HE-560 also, but I don't know if you really need to drop that much cash at this stage.

I might've exaggerated with the y's. They were pretty bassy, but not to that extent. Did you say the Alpha Primes were bright? Maybe I should just go with that... Sigh.. the headphone game is just too confusing. But at the same time, this is fun... :) Thanks a lot for all the help man.

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #528 of 2,544
  I might've exaggerated with the y's. They were pretty bassy, but not to that extent. Did you say the Alpha Primes were bright? Maybe I should just go with that... Sigh.. the headphone game is just too confusing. But at the same time, this is fun... :) Thanks a lot for all the help man.

If I were you, I'd maybe concentrate on trying to hear more actual headphones so you can get an idea of what you like before dropping big bucks on an endgame set.  For example, lots of people love the Alpha Prime, but I didn't like it at all.  In fact, I haven't liked any of the MrSpeakers headphones until the Ether and Ether C.  So who is right, me or everyone else?  The answer, of course, is that we're all right.  Everyone hears differently.  Figure out what you like and then buy a better version of it.  

Some things to figure out:

1 - Do you want open or closed?  You've got both on your list and they tend to sound pretty different.
2 - Do you like bright (treble emphasis), warm (bass emphasis) or neutral?  Or perhaps a bit of a V or N shape?
3 - Do you even have the amplification to drive a demanding planar correctly?  Some planars, particularly the T50 mods like ZMF and the 'Dogs, are hard to drive and need a decent amp to sound their best.

You might try some other headphones around the price of the X2 until you get an idea of what you like.  Things like the HE-400s, AKG K7-- series, HD600/650, PM-3, AT M50x, etc.  This is a wide variety and should get you moving in the right direction.  

Try maybe buying and returning to Amazon (questionably moral), or buying and selling on the classifieds (this is how I got my education) or visting a local shop (should be plenty in the Bay Area) or meet.  I know Oppo will let you demo their stuff at their Mountain View HQ and there should be plenty of Bay Area meets.

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #529 of 2,544
Dude I'm with Stillhart. Except that you CAN find a used or open box 560 for the same price or around 750 and id take that over the regular ZMF blackwood(not blackwood Omni)

Sorry to confuse you. I will shut up now. :xf_eek:

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #530 of 2,544

If I were you, I'd maybe concentrate on trying to hear more actual headphones so you can get an idea of what you like before dropping big bucks on an endgame set.  For example, lots of people love the Alpha Prime, but I didn't like it at all.  In fact, I haven't liked any of the MrSpeakers headphones until the Ether and Ether C.  So who is right, me or everyone else?  The answer, of course, is that we're all right.  Everyone hears differently.  Figure out what you like and then buy a better version of it.  

Some things to figure out:

1 - Do you want open or closed?  You've got both on your list and they tend to sound pretty different.
2 - Do you like bright (treble emphasis), warm (bass emphasis) or neutral?  Or perhaps a bit of a V or N shape?
3 - Do you even have the amplification to drive a demanding planar correctly?  Some planars, particularly the T50 mods like ZMF and the 'Dogs, are hard to drive and need a decent amp to sound their best.

You might try some other headphones around the price of the X2 until you get an idea of what you like.  Things like the HE-400s, AKG K7-- series, HD600/650, PM-3, AT M50x, etc.  This is a wide variety and should get you moving in the right direction.  

Try maybe buying and returning to Amazon (questionably moral), or buying and selling on the classifieds (this is how I got my education) or visting a local shop (should be plenty in the Bay Area) or meet.  I know Oppo will let you demo their stuff at their Mountain View HQ and there should be plenty of Bay Area meets.

This post... just lifted a veil in my brain... thank you so much. I'm gonna head to AudioVision this weekend to try out the different headphones and make a decision based on that. Thanks for all your help!
Dude I'm with Stillhart. Except that you CAN find a used or open box 560 for the same price or around 750 and id take that over the regular ZMF blackwood(not blackwood Omni)

Sorry to confuse you. I will shut up now.
redface.gif

Hahahaha- the more suggestions the better. Thanks man!

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #531 of 2,544
Oh oh forgot to mention that Zach custom tunes!! If you find it too bass you can get it tuned FREE I think or at a small fee. Hit him up. That may make the choice easier. No other full sized hp company does that!!!

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #533 of 2,544
Oh oh forgot to mention that Zach custom tunes!! If you find it too bass you can get it tuned FREE I think or at a small fee. Hit him up. That may make the choice easier. No other full sized hp company does that!!!

I kinda want to do that, but I'm pretty sure I want to listen to the headphone first before doing such a thing.

I'm just a tad worried the blackwood omnis might be lacking openess and air. I wonder if a brighter or a more flat tuning would fix that. Though I would rather have the improved imaging, speed and clarity the blackwood cups offer over the other cups.

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #534 of 2,544
I kinda want to do that, but I'm pretty sure I want to listen to the headphone first before doing such a thing.

I'm just a tad worried the blackwood omnis might be lacking openess and air. I wonder if a brighter or a more flat tuning would fix that. Though I would rather have the improved imaging, speed and clarity the blackwood cups offer over the other cups.

I had an idea that I would like certain cups over others, etc. but the Omnis really subverted my expectations. I found the Cherry actually the most to my taste, and the backwoods least. Not what I was expecting based on the descriptions. For sure a headphone to try before you buy (especially with the different woods and pads)

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #535 of 2,544
I would like to hear a different wood myself. I'm just scared for my black Omni. I like the way it looks too. Im sure when the dust settles I may be able to hear a Cherrywood again. The pre production cherry sounded less refined, less balanced but a tad more open. Zach said he fixed the tuning, what I did hear was still at the time the most balanced ZMF. But my Omni is even more so.

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #536 of 2,544
I'll be attending the Nashville meet this weekend, which is supposed to have a Blackwood Omni for demo!  I hope to get a listen and report back with my findings.

Sep 24, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #537 of 2,544
I had an idea that I would like certain cups over others, etc. but the Omnis really subverted my expectations. I found the Cherry actually the most to my taste, and the backwoods least. Not what I was expecting based on the descriptions. For sure a headphone to try before you buy (especially with the different woods and pads)

I would like to hear a different wood myself. I'm just scared for my black Omni. I like the way it looks too. Im sure when the dust settles I may be able to hear a Cherrywood again. The pre production cherry sounded less refined, less balanced but a tad more open. Zach said he fixed the tuning, what I did hear was still at the time the most balanced ZMF. But my Omni is even more so.

I've had a week with the tour Omni Cherry and I plan on writing a more thorough impression when I get some free time, but I still find find the mid-bass to have some "bloom" that overpowers the mids on most tracks (mostly pop/rock). Switching from lambskin to cowhide pads didn't make much difference for me (on the Omnis, huge difference on my Blackwoods). Some whom I've let try them haven't noticed this. Two colleagues who are into headphones felt that the Cherries sounded a bit "muffled" (I'm trying to translate from their Chinese descriptions). After they applied the bass-cut EQ I use in foobar, they said the sound "opened up". My first impression here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/769682/zmf-omni-upcoming-semi-open-flagship/480#post_11926309

I really like my Blackwood (not Omni), and would be curious to hear the Omni in Walnut and BW to compare.

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #538 of 2,544

I've had a week with the tour Omni Cherry and I plan on writing a more thorough impression when I get some free time, but I still find find the mid-bass to have some "bloom" that overpowers the mids on most tracks (mostly pop/rock). Switching from lambskin to cowhide pads didn't make much difference for me (on the Omnis, huge difference on my Blackwoods). Some whom I've let try them haven't noticed this. Two colleagues who are into headphones felt that the Cherries sounded a bit "muffled" (I'm trying to translate from their Chinese descriptions). After they applied the bass-cut EQ I use in foobar, they said the sound "opened up". My first impression here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/769682/zmf-omni-upcoming-semi-open-flagship/480#post_11926309

I really like my Blackwood (not Omni), and would be curious to hear the Omni in Walnut and BW to compare.

I think you would prefer one of the other woods. The cherry are definitely the "richest" at the expense of micro-details and a little speed.

I have a pair of cherry Omnis on my desk right now, pretty solid complement to my Ultrasones. :)

Sep 24, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #539 of 2,544
Hey I am considering the Omni vs Alpha Prime and the HE-560. Could anybody do a comparison with the Alpha Prime? Thanks a lot

I listened to HE-560 and compare it with my Alpha Prime and Beyer T1, it wasn't a hard choice for me. The bass of the Alpha Prime is similar to the Beyer T1, with the Beyer T1 sound more natural due to the open back. The alpha prime and the Beyer T1 compliment each other very well in different circumstances (loud environment or quiet environment). I find that it only takes me 30 min to adapt to the AP signature after listening to the Beyer T1 for a long period of time. The AP is really a good headphone, I'm not trying to steal ZMF thread but I'm just throwing that out there. My Omni should be coming in soon and it has a lot of rooms to fill. I'm sure which ever way you go, you would be happy.

If you do choose an Open back though, look at the Beyer T1. My friend has a Collection of Phones ranging from an electrostatic to Sennheiser HD800 and he says he really like the Beyer T1, it is much easier to drive than the HD800 and it sounds better to his ears. The only minor gripes I have with it is sometime the sibillance is a little hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back