ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Jul 6, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #181 of 2,544
  Just an update, there are 6 units left with the free case and braided cable.  The $100 off price will go until the end of August though.  The "official" production period for the Omni starts Sept 1.   Although pre-orders will start shipping before then. 

Upgrades for current ZMF owners will be available starting sept 1st.

So is it the 1st 25 Omni orders that will ship before Sept 1st?

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #182 of 2,544

So is it the 1st 25 Omni orders that will ship before Sept 1st?

Well, if I've learned one thing it's not to promise any dates, BUT, the plan is to ship as many as possible by Sept 1st.    I think we should be good to go to get most of the 25 shipped by sept 1st, but ofcourse will keep everyone who has ordered up to date on the progress.  I just switched to a live Google Excel sheet that everyone can track their order using, it gets updated daily, so as soon as the production parts arrive it will updated live as each set gets work done on it.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 6, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #183 of 2,544

Zach915m,

Your Omni is really tempting me to pre-order especially reading all these posts so far.  Can you or anyone give me a general idea of how it would compare to the LCD2.2 pre-fazor?  I'm surmising that the Omni has slightly more lushness in the vocal region with a hint more sub-bass but much more air in the upper range giving it more presence in soundstage sense.  Getting warm?  Just based on the Omni's FR.

How's the ear pad opening versus the LCD?  Is there about the same amount of space for the ears without touching the driver or any of the surroundings for an average ear size?

I am hoping that the Omni will accomplish this set of criteria for me especially with vocals and accoustic guitar music.

You know, I really wish I owned more headphones besides my own, I have an HE-500 as my "other" phone besides the ZMF's, but even so I don't feel comfortable comparing my gear to another manufacturers.  I tune my stuff to how I like it, and thankfully, many other people like the way it sounds too!  The last pre-fazor I heard was at Steve Deckert's place (Decware) out of the Taboo and it sounded freaking awesome.  But besides that, I don't have too much to say!

Earpads - I actually do have an Audeze earpad here:

Audeze Earpad:  70mm high - 45 mm wide

ZMF Earpad:  68MM high - 50mm wide

Your ears won;t touch the driver I don't believe.  In the past the couple times that has happened I usually recommend 3/8 rope under the pad.

As someone said earlier, I probably test my gear on WAY too much acoustic music as I'm a little obsessed with it.  I used to play banjo and guitar every day before building headphone became my full time gig.  That being said, best someone else weigh in I guess concerning specifics!

The LCD-2.2 is my reference, so I should be able to give some impressions on how the Omni compares. I'm especially excited for the comparison given what Warren has said about the Omni. Granted, he spoke of the LCD-3C, I think.

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #184 of 2,544
I'm number 21 :p

I might sell my he 560's before I get my omnis, but if happen to not that that, I'll also do a comparison.

My main worry with the omnis is that it might be too dark with my wa6. Hence why I'll only change the tubes after I get my omnis.

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #185 of 2,544
  I'm number 21 :p

I might sell my he 560's before I get my omnis, but if happen to not that that, I'll also do a comparison.

My main worry with the omnis is that it might be too dark with my wa6. Hence why I'll only change the tubes after I get my omnis.

I'm in the same boat as u. I have he HE560s now but I can only keep one... so sad

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #186 of 2,544

I'm in the same boat as u. I have he HE560s now but I can only keep one... so sad

I could keep the he 560s, but I'm the type that wants as little clutter as possible, if I prefer one headphone over the other, I wouldn't use the worse sounding one unless I have to (like if I'm on the go).

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #187 of 2,544
  I could keep the he 560s, but I'm the type that wants as little clutter as possible, if I prefer one headphone over the other, I wouldn't use the worse sounding one unless I have to (like if I'm on the go).

Either way, I'm interested in what your thoughts of the two are and how they compare to my impressions of them!

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #188 of 2,544
  The LCD-2.2 is my reference, so I should be able to give some impressions on how the Omni compares. I'm especially excited for the comparison given what Warren has said about the Omni. Granted, he spoke of the LCD-3C, I think.

Concurred - LCD 2.2 is also reference here too
beerchug.gif

What I like about LCD2.2 is it's ability to render full body lushness with decent weight from the lower mids down to the sub-bass regent.  For some genres I that like, mainly female vocals, a tiny bit more of these traits are welcomed and adding the much needed air which I believe the Omni may do based on it's FR graph.

With Warren's impression regarding the Omni sounding like a semi-open LCD3 (non-fazor I presume), it really seems that this may be the signature I am seeking without the high price of the 3's!  Still on the fence on pre-order since I like to have more impressions before buying.

Another comparison I'm interested in mentioned a few post back is comparing the low FR of the TH900 to the Omni.  Can I confidently say that the sub-bass to bass is on par or is it less? much less?  I also own the TH900 and only use it for rock genres or tracks that can use more low end.

Anyone compare these two or working on it?

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #189 of 2,544
  Concurred - LCD 2.2 is also reference here too
beerchug.gif

What I like about LCD2.2 is it's ability to render full body lushness with decent weight from the lower mids down to the sub-bass regent.  For some genres I that like, mainly female vocals, a tiny bit more of these traits are welcomed and adding the much needed air which I believe the Omni may do based on it's FR graph.

With Warren's impression regarding the Omni sounding like a semi-open LCD3 (non-fazor I presume), it really seems that this may be the signature I am seeking without the high price of the 3's!  Still on the fence on pre-order since I like to have more impressions before buying.

Another comparison I'm interested in mentioned a few post back is comparing the low FR of the TH900 to the Omni.  Can I confidently say that the sub-bass to bass is on par or is it less? much less?  I also own the TH900 and only use it for rock genres or tracks that can use more low end.

Anyone compare these two or working on it?

While that is the only dynamic headphone that can keep up with any planar in subbass AND midbass (and frankly, it is one of the best balances of both in any headphone I've heard,) the TH900, going from the FR graphs of both headphones and personal experience wtih the TH600 and TH900, won't hold a candle to the Omni for Rock. Rock, with the exception of the Grados line and some classical rock songs, benefits more from mids than bass and treble. The Omni -may- go deeper than the TH900 and have better mids, but it won't be as "fun" in the bass section as it. But the TH900 is also has its upper and lower mids sucked out (which is what gives it that awesome clarity.)

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #190 of 2,544
I own the TH600 and listened to the Omni prototypes. They were just prototypes so YMMV...

The Omni and TH600 are tuned very differently. Relative to the mids, the TH600 has more subbass quantity than the Omni because it has a dip in mids. That dip also gives it a very rumbly, subwoofery presentation, which is typical for V shaped headphones. The Omni is simply a different headphone, which is not a bad thing by any means. None of the "basshead" planars like the HE-400 or LCD-2 sound like the TH600 either.

IMO the Omni's subbass is very good. More presence than my HE-400i, and more than the Vibro too (haven't heard the Blackwood enough to say). But the Omni has full, beautiful mids--pretty much the opposite of the TH-600's V shape and dry mids. Comparing the Omni to the LCD series makes more sense. The Omni has excellent extension, impact, fullness, etc. but its bass isnt going to sound boosted like a V-shaped headphone.

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #191 of 2,544

While that is the only dynamic headphone that can keep up with any planar in subbass AND midbass (and frankly, it is one of the best balances of both in any headphone I've heard,) the TH900, going from the FR graphs of both headphones and personal experience wtih the TH600 and TH900, won't hold a candle to the Omni for Rock. Rock, with the exception of the Grados line and some classical rock songs, benefits more from mids than bass and treble. The Omni -may- go deeper than the TH900 and have better mids, but it won't be as "fun" in the bass section as it. But the TH900 is also has its upper and lower mids sucked out (which is what gives it that awesome clarity.)

I own the TH600 and listened to the Omni prototypes. They were just prototypes so YMMV...

The Omni and TH600 are tuned very differently. Relative to the mids, the TH600 has more subbass quantity than the Omni because it has a dip in mids. That dip also gives it a very rumbly, subwoofery presentation, which is typical for V shaped headphones. The Omni is simply a different headphone, which is not a bad thing by any means. None of the "basshead" planars like the HE-400 or LCD-2 sound like the TH600 either.

IMO the Omni's subbass is very good. More presence than my HE-400i, and more than the Vibro too (haven't heard the Blackwood enough to say). But the Omni has full, beautiful mids--pretty much the opposite of the TH-600's V shape and dry mids. Comparing the Omni to the LCD series makes more sense. The Omni has excellent extension, impact, fullness, etc. but its bass isnt going to sound boosted like a V-shaped headphone.

PacoTaco, manbear:  

appreciate your perpectives relative to both TH600 & TH900.  Yes, cannot agree more regarding the V shape sound of TH's which is why it gets less head time for my genre of music - mostly vocals than LCD2.2

Judging strictly based on the Omni's FR, it really seems to suit my taste since it's very close to the LCD2.2 with the difference of being slightly tilted in favor of the low end.  But I wonder about the openness and presentation compared to the LCD.  Although I have read that soundstage from the Omni is very proportionally spaced and almost holographic (can't recall poster - too lazy to back track), but don't have a reference to the LCD.  Only mentioned from Warren Chi was that it sounded like a semi-open LCD3 nof-fazor.

So I gather the Omni may sound slightly closed in relative to the LCD's...Still on the fence about biting.  May have to wait until more comparisons and impressions start to come in.  

Geez, another thought came to mind - Alpha Primes vs Omni...oh boy!

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #192 of 2,544

PacoTaco, manbear:  

appreciate your perpectives relative to both TH600 & TH900.  Yes, cannot agree more regarding the V shape sound of TH's which is why it gets less head time for my genre of music - mostly vocals than LCD2.2

Judging strictly based on the Omni's FR, it really seems to suit my taste since it's very close to the LCD2.2 with the difference of being slightly tilted in favor of the low end.  But I wonder about the openness and presentation compared to the LCD.  Although I have read that soundstage from the Omni is very proportionally spaced and almost holographic (can't recall poster - too lazy to back track), but don't have a reference to the LCD.  Only mentioned from Warren Chi was that it sounded like a semi-open LCD3 nof-fazor.

So I gather the Omni may sound slightly closed in relative to the LCD's...Still on the fence about biting.  May have to wait until more comparisons and impressions start to come in.  

Geez, another thought came to mind - Alpha Primes vs Omni...oh boy!

Pressing enter seemed to make this post whether I wanted to or not. Lol.

Anyway, the Alpha Prime is like a more extreme Mad Dog. It has more bass, more treble, more linearity, a bigger soundstage...but also has the bad. The soundstage is because there is a larger treble spike, but there is a very large drop in the upper-mids that makes it sound "odd." A lot of people like it because it sounds exciting, but I found it too bright and the mids were too distorted for me.

The Omni will probably have a lot bigger soundstage (at least from what I can tell looking at the FR graph.) It will also be a lot smoother on top.

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #193 of 2,544
^cant really look at a FR graph and tell sound stage. Dips in FR only account for space to a certain degree. 
Quote:

creates excitement for me!

Jul 8, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #194 of 2,544

Pressing enter seemed to make this post whether I wanted to or not. Lol.

Anyway, the Alpha Prime is like a more extreme Mad Dog. It has more bass, more treble, more linearity, a bigger soundstage...but also has the bad. The soundstage is because there is a larger treble spike, but there is a very large drop in the upper-mids that makes it sound "odd." A lot of people like it because it sounds exciting, but I found it too bright and the mids were too distorted for me.

The Omni will probably have a lot bigger soundstage (at least from what I can tell looking at the FR graph.) It will also be a lot smoother on top.

Odd, I have a completely different sound signature with my Prime. Are you sure it wasn't faulty one?

Jul 8, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #195 of 2,544
I found the Alpha Primes to be unlistenably bright, probably because of a treble spike in an area where I'm sensitive (similar to the HD700).  Zach's stuff that I've heard so far is much smoother up top and sounds quite different.  Based on the FR charts that I've seen for the Omni, I don't expect that to change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back