ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
May 28, 2015 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,544

Levaix

100+ Head-Fier

New thread created to declutter the Vibro and Blackwood thread!

Quote:
Hahahahah! If someone opens a Omni thread I'd be happy to answer as many questions as I know the answers to there! Prob my fault for posting this here.

So really, Zach only has himself to blame. 
wink_face.gif

Here's what we know so far:

-new ZMF flagship using T50RP drivers
-custom wood enclosures (currently walnut)
-semi open design

Personally, I'm really looking forward to hearing these. The Blackwood is my favorite T50RP mod so far, so I'm excited to hear what kind of improvement this brings.

May 29, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #6 of 2,544
I wonder if they're using the old tr50p drivers or the new updated ones.

May 29, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #7 of 2,544

So really, Zach only has himself to blame. 
wink_face.gif

Here's what we know so far:

-new ZMF flagship using T50RP drivers
-custom wood enclosures (currently walnut)
-semi open design

Personally, I'm really looking forward to hearing these. The Blackwood is my favorite T50RP mod so far, so I'm excited to hear what kind of improvement this brings.

Yeah......blame me! 

Okay here's some other info, I'll try to update as much as I can, but ofcourse I'm not in production with these yet so feedback is ofcourse welcomed.  The cup design is pretty much final and will look like it does in the prototype pictures, but over the past couple years people have repeatedly said to me "get a logo on the headphone!"  I never really wanted to because I didn't want anything to draw away from the wood, but for these there will be an inlaid pewter coin just below the clamshell slider attachment.  It'll look like this but in silver/black pewter:

Cost per pewter coin is $1.50 for us, actual value of the coin, probably less than that. 
blink.gif

The coin size is 7/16"  So it's smaller than a dime.

Walnut will be available as a wood, and I'll have at least one other wood, to choose from, maybe more, I really haven't figured that part out yet.  Could possibly do Blackwood again, rosewood, cherry, red walnut, purple heart, I'm open to suggestions here.

As for price, as soon as I figure that out I'll ofcourse let you know, I'll probably just post it on the website too.

I wonder if they're using the old tr50p drivers or the new updated ones.

Rumor has it the new t50 3 uses the same actual drivers, and that the only change is to the baffle.  Regardless, unless it's a dynamic driver or something, I'm not worried.  Fostex actually changed the driver when they released the th500, and nobody seemed to notice, it took me two days to alter to the changes in FR/get my target FR.  I haven't seen a MK III yet in person. 

I still have a ton of the t50 mkII's in stock though. 

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 29, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #8 of 2,544
Cool!!!

If you don;t mind me asking at what level will this headphone compete in? While it's not immediate I do want to eventually replace my he 560s with something truly end game.

May 29, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 2,544
I vote for blackwood. I could hear the difference between cherry and blackwood in the other models. Don't know if it would make a difference but I also feel blackwood is the most luxurious!

May 29, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #10 of 2,544
Zach please target the same type of signature that you did for the blackwoods, its like a closed LCD headphone :wink:
That being said can i has a discount as a returning customer :p

May 29, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #11 of 2,544
Very excited for these!  Hoping to hear some impressions from the Newport show.

One question I have is with this type of design, does the hardness of the wood affect the sound as much as with closed-back designs?  Or would an Omni using blackwood be mostly for aesthetics, sounding similar to one using walnut?

The placement of the vents is interesting; I haven't seen a headphone quite like it before.  The center driver area being closed-back and the sides being vented makes me wonder if the presentation will sound kind of speaker-ish.

The imaging/soundstage of the Blackwood is very good for a closed headphone, but of course it falls behind open-backs in that department.  If the Omni is able to improve on that aspect and still have as beautiful of a sound signature, I'll be absolutely smitten.

popcorn.gif

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 2,544
If you don;t mind me asking at what level will this headphone compete in? While it's not immediate I do want to eventually replace my he 560s with something truly end game.

I have a hard time being specific about stuff like that because headphones/audio is so subjective.  I do think the Omni is the best headphone I've made so far, although it certainly will have a different vibe than my closed stuff.  There were numerous people comparing the Omni side by side with the LCD 3's and TH900 at the show and many of them said to me they put them in the same class, then the tonality is all subjective.  Again though at that level it all has to do with sensibility.  Warren Chi gave them a good listen and will be posting notes at some point.  The man has a good ear!

I vote for blackwood. I could hear the difference between cherry and blackwood in the other models. Don't know if it would make a difference but I also feel blackwood is the most luxurious!

I'm definitely going to go with Walnut and something Exotic and hard.   I do love my Blackwood.  Vote noted!

Zach please target the same type of signature that you did for the blackwoods, its like a closed LCD headphone :wink:
That being said can i has a discount as a returning customer :p

DONE!  I don't think I'm capable of making a "bright" headphone.  Haha, I'll have to think about a ZMF owner discount, the only reason I exist is because of you guys, and I appreciate the support!
  Very excited for these!  Hoping to hear some impressions from the Newport show.

One question I have is with this type of design, does the hardness of the wood affect the sound as much as with closed-back designs?  Or would an Omni using blackwood be mostly for aesthetics, sounding similar to one using walnut?

The placement of the vents is interesting; I haven't seen a headphone quite like it before.  The center driver area being closed-back and the sides being vented makes me wonder if the presentation will sound kind of speaker-ish.

The imaging/soundstage of the Blackwood is very good for a closed headphone, but of course it falls behind open-backs in that department.  If the Omni is able to improve on that aspect and still have as beautiful of a sound signature, I'll be absolutely smitten.

popcorn.gif

I actually don't know if the hardness of the wood will affect the sound as much or not as all the sets so far have been Walnut and Cherry.  Definitely will report back once we make some harder more exotic sets. 

The design was meant to provide enough trampoline effect for impact while providing more space than a closed headphone.  It certainly worked as the bass is there for sure, and the soundscape is larger.

Hey Zach, did you spot any differences besides the hole in the damping paper?

Never actually checked out the th500!  Was tempted to buy one but never did.  Haven't seen the Mark III yet of the t50's.  Again though, not really worried about it, will adjust if needed, but I think I may have stated int he other thread that Fostex changed the driver a couple times over the past few years and tuning to my target curves has never been an issue.

-------

Sorry for the tardiness guys!  Was out at the show newport and wasn't on here as much to reply.  Hope you are all well.  We'll be making another Prototype soon, dialing everything in and will have Pre-Order available later in June.  I hope to start shipping late July/August.

I will also get some pics of the ZMF "Coins" that are made out of pewter and will be inlaid on the side of the headphones when they arrive next week.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 2, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #15 of 2,544

popcorn.gif

I'd argue, soundstage wise, the Blackwood falls slightly behind the TH900 (which, to be honest, is more like a semi-open headphone that leans to the closed department compared to something like the T1.) It's definitely one of my favorite sound signatures in a headphone (relaxed and organic, but not dark nor bright.) Somebody on Reddit told me that, from what he heard, the Omni was more detailed and less colored than the Blackwood. If that ends up being a consistent opinion, than I will really have to throw money at Zach. Though, tbh, I've been using my headphones for gaming more than anything lately so more detail is always welcomed.

DONE!  I don't think I'm capable of making a "bright" headphone.  Haha, I'll have to think about a ZMF owner discount, the only reason I exist is because of you guys, and I appreciate the support!

I'd be all over the discount. That actually gives me an idea for a suggestion relating to that thing you mentioned in an email that I have no idea if I can say here or not. Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back