1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by levaix, May 28, 2015.
First

Back
134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143
145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154
Next

Last
  1. iamjaymo

Ok Zach, will do.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. iamjaymo
    Just a quick update from my initial impressions on the Ori Purple Hearts...

Nothing has really changed as I put more hours on the Ori. Still enamored with that powerful, tight planar bass and the overall "smoothness" of the entire range of sound reproduction from the Ori. What has changed is my impression in regard to amp pairing. I just assumed the Ori would pair better with the more powerful SS amp I have. So I paired the Ori with the SS Audio-GD amp and my Eikon with the Schiit Lyr 3 tube hybrid - just because it had a tube (I know, really has nothing to do with anything but that's the way I had it in my head). WRONG.

I switched it up today just for fun and low and behold the Ori is waaaay better paired with the Schiit Lyr 3 than it is with the Audio-GD amp. And the Eikon sounds absolutely fantastic paired with the AGD amp. Go figure.

When I ran the Ori with the AGD the lows and mids were great but there was something clouding the upper regions, a haze or veil if you will. The Ori sounded slightly “dark". With the Lyr 3, the Ori produced no veil, had a much clearer and separated treble. The Ori produced a very nice "sparkle" in the treble with the Lyr... overall a much better pairing. The Ori is not a dark sounding headphone at all. Warm, yes, dark, no.

So, in case you were wondering how the Ori runs with a Schiit tube/hybrid, provided it has enough power to push a planar, it's magnificent!

After this change, to me, my Eikon and Ori are very close in terms of musical enjoyment, albeit, still very different as to how they go about their business.

3. Wes S
    Good stuff!

What tube are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

The Ori headphones, are my next purchase, and I have the Lyr 3, so I am happy to read your post.

4. iamjaymo
    Right now I’m using an RCA “Grey Glass”.

Wes S likes this.
  5. Wes S
    My favorite tube! I have a good stash of them :)

Just a bit more money to save, to get the Ori.

6. iamjaymo
    My favorite tube also. Of all the tubes I’ve tried, to include the highly regarded Ken-Rad, I just love that liquid mid range the Grey Glass produces. Just glorious.

I can’t recommend the Ori enough, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed pairing it with the Lyr.

Wes S likes this.
  7. Rhamnetin
    My favorite tube for the Lyr 3 with ZMF planars is the Raytheon VT-231. Though I haven't tried the National Union Black Glass.

Seems like we are going down similar paths. I have a Lyr 3 too but I am giving it away, also have a purpleheart Ori and will be getting an Eikon (waiting to see if Padauk materializes again). I'll be writing a review of the Ori here on Head-Fi soon, not much to say other than it's pure bliss, such perfect tuning and I wouldn't change a thing. The 15% open cups, and whatever other changes Zach applies versus the Blackwood, makes for a really nice improvement. Of course, the Blackwood being fully closed back (and by far my favorite closed back headphone) means it still has lots of practical use, but the Ori is hard to put down. I think it is the "sweetest" sounding headphone I have ever heard, whatever that means. That isn't to say it isn't fun of course, it is also one of the most fun headphones I have ever used for rock and rap.

Like you, I notice no sonic change with the Ori. I don't believe in burn-in for planars or electrostats. I see no technical reason why there would be any mechanical burn-in, only brain burn-in.

commtrd and iamjaymo like this.
  8. Textfeud
    Just bought a set of ZMF Ori. Will be the second pair I've owned. Sold them when I went the speakers route and now I'm back using headphones, I just had to have them in my life again. Going to drive them through my vintage Yamaha CA-1000 speaker amp this time. Should be an interesting pairing :).

9. commtrd
    Having a tough time trying to decide between the Ori planar and the Auteur dynamic. It would be awesome to have one of each! The Auteur in blackwood LTD model keeps calling to me...

One good thing about the Ori referencing reviews I have read, is they tend to out-perform the Audeze LCD4 (treble stuff) for less than half the price.

10. iamjaymo
    Well, if it were me, I’d get the Auteur. I have the Eikon, so same driver as the Auteur, and I love it... more than the Ori.

Sub-bass and impact is better (to me) than the Ori and there is just something about how the bio-cell driver dances the line between great detail while maintaining terrific musicality. YMMV, of course.

commtrd likes this.
  11. Pharmaboy
    I have an Ori (ormosia henryi wood) and love its sound. It was the first planar I heard, and in certain ways remains the best (amazing bass; ear-friendly, musical voicing, and amazing soundstaging for a closed design).

However, as time goes by I find myself preferring open-back designs, even less expensive dynamics like my trusty Fidelio X2s (nowhere near the Ori in "technicalities," but nearly its equal in musical nature/ear-pleasing quality). The best of all IMO is an open-back planar. If only ZMF offered one!!

To chase that open-back planar sound, I recently got a pre-fazor LCD-2.1...and just a few days ago, a pre-fazor LCD-3 (which is uncomfortable for me w/stock headband: tomorrow I'll order the LCD-2C headband + longer slider/yokes). These Audeze headphones are very fine--no regrets.

My listening opportunities w/the Auteur at CanJam NYC were brief, and I'm was unsure which earpads were on the ones I heard (it totally matters w/the Auteur). So that will have to wait for more listening.

I also have heard at length, in my system (on several occasions) the Auteur's closed back brother, the Eikon, which impresses me to no end.

Still, the headphone I really want from ZMF is one they don't even offer...an open back planar.

commtrd likes this.
  12. Rhamnetin
    I look forward to comparing the Ori to the Eikon. I'll be doing so in a few months (got delayed since I ordered a Stax SR-009 and KGSSHV Carbon instead) with three amps: the Chord Hugo 2 (representing a good class A solid state amp for low impedance headphones), Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar (balanced TOTL amp), and a Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball and good tubes for the Eikon.

It would indeed be cool to see what Zach could do with cutting edge planar tech like the nanometer thin diaphragms and super powerful magnets.

commtrd likes this.
  13. lentoviolento
    mine are on sale.

14. whirlwind
    Got back my favorite amp for use with these headphones....amp had the yamamoto sockets installed.

What a killer combo!

This headphones just scales so dang well it is not funny......beautiful bass slam and sub bass is off the hook.
    Such an easy headphone to listen too. Fun, addicting...at times I feel like it was tuned just for me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I dream of an open planar of Zach's own at some point.

DSC01247.JPG

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  15. Vitaly2017
    Any suggestions wich headphone shall I buy? I love sub bass and liquid smoth mids and treble I also crave for textures and detailed sound. Though it has to be musical and fun also well balance across freequencies . I listen in noisy environment to. Wich would be best ori or eikon or lcd 2classic or the new lcd2classic closed?

First

Back
134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143
145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154
Next

Last