ZMF closed dynamic lineup vs Ether C Flow 1.1
Jan 30, 2020 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4
Hi all!

I'm not sure if this is the right area to ask, but I'm interested in hearing a detailed and direct comparison from people who have owned both the Ether C Flow 1.1s and 1 of (or more) the closed ZMF dynamics (Atticus, Eikon, Verite Closed).

The reason I ask this is because I am unable to audition any of the ZMF closed backs, and there doesn't seem to be too many detailed comparisons of the closed ZMF dynamics with the Ether C Flow 1.1s in particular (since the Ether C Flows are my current reference sound).

I currently feel that the Ether C Flows are uncompromisingly neutral, but lately I have been hearing a lot of praise for the ZMF lineup and I'm quite interested in how they fare relative to the Ethers (and if I should end up saving for a closed ZMF can).

I'm only interested in direct comparisons from the closed ZMF dynamic lineup, not in any other headphone suggestions (as of now), as I currently haven't pinpointed a particular aspect of sound that I really like (perhaps explaining why I currently prefer the neutrality from the Ether C Flows).

Thank you very much!

Jan 30, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 4
While I can not give you a direct comparison as I have the original Ether-C’s that I preferred over the Flows as I did like the crispness of the highs of the C over the flows but that is me . I have heard the others but not the Verite Closed as at ZMFESTIVUS last year Zach hand delivered my Verite open Cocobolo’s to me so was too enamored with their beauty and sound to listen to too much else. I’m a tube guy and for me before the Verites the Eikons were one of my favorite ZMF’s out of my Amps and Sound Kenzie and also another that I like the Ether-C’s from it as well. They are totally different headphones and present the music differently but both are very good depends on your taste.

Jan 31, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 4
I havent heard every Mr.Speakers offering,but of the ones I have heard Dan seems to prefer a more neutral tuning vs. ZMF which tend to be more fun and musical.
If you prefer neutral,you might read up on the Auteur.

The Verite closed is the best sounding headphone I've ever heard. Bar none.

Mar 4, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 4
Hmm, I have Ether C(not flow) and Verite Closed monkeypod.

Typing from my phone,I'll get to the point.

---

Ether C, 15% musicality(fun) 85% neutrality(work)
Verite C, 40% musicality(fun) 60% neutrality(work)

---

Ether C is a studio monitoring headphone, it is honest, neutral and BORING, not ideal for leisure music listening.

Verite C also leans into that neutral/boring side...but It's (my imaginary made up system) 40% musical and 60% neutral. Verite Closed is good for music listening, (although its not as exciting(sound signature) as a hifiman arya/meze Emp.)

---

The pads really do make a difference in sound. Eikon pads give them the most musicality/fun factor.

You need a good amp and you need to use a balanced cable...I have the thx aaa 887 and "its enough", but I suspect a better amp would be able to push the VC driver to a higher level of fidelity.

I haven't heard the Aeolus, but I think its tuned to be more musical and fun, although slightly less capable.(half the price of verite)
(This is why zeos praised aeolus over verite in his review) because verite is more neutral/boring when compared to aeolus.

---

The more neutral the headphone is, the better it EQs(generally) . I am inexperienced with EQ software, but for me to love VC I'll need to learn a lot about EQ lol, with proper EQ verite could become your perfect headphone, since the driver is very capable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back