ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Feb 14, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #3,346 of 7,015
Wow had to try the new pads on the Verité Closed sitting here too. The thick pads sound do some nice smoothing to the VC for me. Check it out if you happen to have both sitting nearby.
Might do. Only have cowhide and suede at this point…

Feb 14, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #3,347 of 7,015
Looking for a little advice on SS amps to drive a Caldera. Is an amp with 1W output enough to properly drive the Caldera? I'm a fan of Rupert Neve amps and their most powerful one maxes out at 1W. I've read quite a bit of this thread and there are at least a couple of you using the Naim Atom HE for the Caldera and they max out at less than 2W. The Neve RNDAC is also bundled with a Rosson Rad-0 as an option.

Feb 14, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #3,348 of 7,015
Looking for a little advice on SS amps to drive a Caldera. Is an amp with 1W output enough to properly drive the Caldera? I'm a fan of Rupert Neve amps and their most powerful one maxes out at 1W. I've read quite a bit of this thread and there are at least a couple of you using the Naim Atom HE for the Caldera and they max out at less than 2W. The Neve RNDAC is also bundled with a Rosson Rad-0 as an option.
I can at least respond that the Caldera sounds excellent out of the Naim Atom HE using about 50% power. Very dynamic, excellent bass punch and texture and great separation and layering out of the balanced outs. Also has no problem with the Expanse at around 60% power.

I also have the Focal Arche and the Caldera still sounds pretty good but less dynamic and not as great in the bass. It’s just my work station setup, so no reason to replace but wouldn’t recommend this paring. Power is actually 2 watts and true dual mono balanced but the Naim Atom HE is clearly better.

Edit: Not that anyone’s going to get a Focal Arche, but changed setting to hybrid and now it’s a really nice paring, especially if can find one cheap since discontinued.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #3,349 of 7,015
Anyone got any experience running Caldera with Holo Spring level 2 / KTE? Is it a good pairing?

Feb 14, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #3,350 of 7,015
I can at least respond that the Caldera sounds excellent out of the Naim Atom HE using about 50% power. Very dynamic, excellent bass punch and texture and great separation and layering out of the balanced outs. Also has no problem with the Expanse at around 60% power.

I also have the Focal Arche and the Caldera still sounds pretty good but less dynamic and not as great in the bass. It’s just my work station setup, so no reason to replace but wouldn’t recommend this paring. Power is actually 2 watts and true dual mono balanced but the Naim Atom HE is clearly better.
I'm certainly familiar with Naim already, I have two Supernaits but I'm hoping to find something SS with two analog ins if possible(I'd like to run two DACs). Are you running the Caldera out of the XLR outputs?

Feb 14, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #3,351 of 7,015

Well theoretically I don't think you ever use 50% power Naim Atom HE to Caldera. 50% of volume pot, perhaps.

Because at 50% from max power, actually your headroom is only 3dB left, which is the volume pot would be very close to maximum.

Anyway, speaking of comparison to other TOTL, finally in 2022/2023 the table has turned. Focal Utopia (2022) would be the one with more forgiving and bassier character compared to ZMF Caldera. Brand wise, usually ZMF is the one with more musical feel and Focal with their analytic character.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #3,352 of 7,015
Well theoretically I don't think you ever use 50% power Naim Atom HE to Caldera. 50% of volume pot, perhaps.

Because at 50% from max power, actually your headroom is only 3dB left, which is the volume pot would be very close to maximum.

Anyway, speaking of comparison to other TOTL, finally in 2022/2023 the table has turned. Focal Utopia (2022) would be the one with more forgiving and bassier character compared to ZMF Caldera. Brand wise, usually ZMF is the one with more musical feel and Focal with their analytic character.
Thanks for clarifying on power.

I briefly heard the new Utopia and it was very similar old one. I’m sure I could still be perfectly happy with the original Utopia or even the new one. But what makes the Caldera a better choice for me is the lifetime warranty on drivers, the amazing look, and slight change from the Utopia. Was looking for another TOTL headphone that nicely balanced technical while still retaining the fun. Both Utopia and Caldera does that wonderfully out of the Naim HE. The Expanse came close but fell short of the fun (in comparison) after extended listening. Still technically amazing.

Feb 14, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #3,353 of 7,015
Thanks for clarifying on power.

I briefly heard the new Utopia and it was very similar old one. I’m sure I could still be perfectly happy with the original Utopia or even the new one. But what makes the Caldera a better choice for me is the lifetime warranty on drivers, the amazing look, and slight change from the Utopia. Was looking for another TOTL headphone that nicely balanced technical while still retaining the fun. Both Utopia and Caldera does that wonderfully out of the Naim HE. The Expanse came close but fell short of the fun (in comparison) after extended listening. Still technically amazing.

Also, Caldera has definite advantage in Soundstage when compared to any Utopias. The New Utopia is still a more lively headphone than Caldera though (stronger impact/bite).

Agree about the Expanse part.

Feb 14, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #3,354 of 7,015
Also, Caldera has definite advantage in Soundstage when compared to any Utopias. The New Utopia is still a more lively headphone than Caldera though (stronger impact/bite).

Agree about the Expanse part.
I wasn’t a huge fan of the new utopia (I know, hot take!) but I did enjoy both the clear and precious version.

What you mention above about extra bite and soundstage I agree, and this is actually one reason I prefer zmf. I can’t seem to relax with the elex, clear, or utopia. Great for analytical listening, but not as high on enjoyment for me.

Other reasons I prefer zmf? Pad rolling to adjust the sound slightly to my preference. The ability to buy pads, replacement parts, whatever at reasonable prices (give me a break, utopia pad and replacement costs). Responsive customer service (from zmf). The zmf warranty. Focal makes nice looking headphones, but not zmf nice looking.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #3,355 of 7,015
I would definitely appreciate hearing from Caldera owners who're running them from 1W rigs. The Expanse has gained a reputation for being nearly as power hungry as the Susvara so it wakes sense that the Expanse wouldn't do well with the Atom HE. The Caldera, from what I understand is much easier to drive.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #3,356 of 7,015
I wasn’t a huge fan of the new utopia (I know, hot take!) but I did enjoy both the clear and precious version.

What you mention above about extra bite and soundstage I agree, and this is actually one reason I prefer zmf. I can’t seem to relax with the elex, clear, or utopia. Great for analytical listening, but not as high on enjoyment for me.

Other reasons I prefer zmf? Pad rolling to adjust the sound slightly to my preference. The ability to buy pads, replacement parts, whatever at reasonable prices (give me a break, utopia pad and replacement costs). Responsive customer service (from zmf). The zmf warranty. Focal makes nice looking headphones, but not zmf nice looking.
I guess on the Naim Atom HE, I didn’t consider the original Utopia analytical at all. Only felt that way with the Hugo 2. If there was any issue for me with the Utopia, it was that it wasn’t relaxing at all. But that’s what I also liked about it.

I think the Caldera tones that down just a notch where everything is still exciting but just not quite in your face. Didn’t listen to the new Utopia long enough to see how this was changed. But overall finding Caldera better all rounder against original version.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #3,357 of 7,015
Are there any Enleum AMP-23R owners here who can comment on how it pairs with the Caldera?

Feb 14, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #3,358 of 7,015
I would definitely appreciate hearing from Caldera owners who're running them from 1W rigs. The Expanse has gained a reputation for being nearly as power hungry as the Susvara so it wakes sense that the Expanse wouldn't do well with the Atom HE. The Caldera, from what I understand is much easier to drive.

People ask all the time if the Cayin HA-3A can run Caldera, and it does so very well! I think it's only 800 mW or so.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 14, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #3,359 of 7,015

When I initially got the Caldera, I tested it across several amps, including the Bricasti M3h built-in amp, which I estimate is about 0.5 watts into 60 ohms. It drove the Caldera easily and well. The Caldera really isn't very hard to drive.

When I switched to the Auris Nirvana through, I got a richer tone and it was an upgrade. It's not a big change, but it's there. I probably wouldn't miss it if I didn't have the option at hand. But these headphones definitely scale with better amplification; and while head-room always makes some difference, I think quality (rather than just power) of the amp is what will come through.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back