ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Feb 4, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #3,166 of 7,059
A little cable talk: I feel that Caldera is indeed a more transparent headphone compared to other ZMF headphones, because I can hear the differences between cables easier with this headphone.

Had a fun comparison today between Verite Silver Cable, Wywires Platinum, and Lavricable Grand Line. Well, on different headphones, the result may varies, depend on the synergies. However, for Caldera, my first choice would be Verite Silver.
I’m using and loving the WyWire platinum with it. I haven’t tried a ZMF silver though. How would you compare that sound to the platinum?

Feb 4, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #3,167 of 7,059
Feb 4, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #3,168 of 7,059
I’m using and loving the WyWire platinum with it. I haven’t tried a ZMF silver though. How would you compare that sound to the platinum?

I can enjoy Caldera well from all of those cables, no wrong choice indeed.

Wywire has more forward and density in Vocal. Soundstage is airy and wide, but still a bit below Verite Silver's capability. Verite Silver has the most airy feeling and biggest soundstage image here (also more than Lavricables).

Bass on Wywires punch harder, but also with longer decay, while in Verite Silver while the quantity is a little less, but it is tighter and deliver more texture for double bass / bass guitar.

I like how Verite Silver "boost" the transparency of Caldera even more, giving big soundstage image, while maintain the musical and engaging character.

Additional note:
Lavricables is an impactful and energetic silver cable, full body and solid sound. While it's definitely a great cable, but for me "too much of good thing" for Caldera. Sound become a bit too energetic, a bit forward, nicely clean and clear, but a bit narrow in soundstage. I do really like it for some Rock/Punk songs.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #3,169 of 7,059
I can enjoy Caldera well from all of those cables, no wrong choice indeed.

Wywire has more forward and density in Vocal. Soundstage is airy and wide, but still a bit below Verite Silver's capability. Verite Silver has the most airy feeling and biggest soundstage image here (also more than Lavricables).

Bass on Wywires punch harder, but also with longer decay, while in Verite Silver while the quantity is a little less, but it is tighter and deliver more texture for double bass / bass guitar.

I like how Verite Silver "boost" the transparency of Caldera even more, giving big soundstage image, while maintain the musical and engaging character.

Additional note:
Lavricables is an impactful and energetic silver cable, full body and solid sound. While it's definitely a great cable, but for me "too much of good thing" for Caldera. Sound become a bit too energetic, a bit forward, nicely clean and clear, but a bit narrow in soundstage. I do really like it for some Rock/Punk songs.
Thanks for this comparison! I love me some punchy bass so my FOMO is slightly relieved.

Just ordered the cowhide and thick pads to test out.

Feb 4, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #3,170 of 7,059
Are these headphones good as all-rounders for all genres or are they failing in some?

Feb 4, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #3,171 of 7,059
Are these headphones good as all-rounders for all genres or are they failing in some?
I don't feel this way with many headphones, but I think the Caldera is an excellent all-rounder.

Feb 4, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #3,173 of 7,059
Feb 4, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #3,174 of 7,059
I'll be joining your ranks soon, I've got a plan for Dynamic + Planar + eStats as my headphones inventory I guess, instead of going Utopia + Susvara + X9K , since X9K is basically Susvara on steroids from what I've heard, it would be silly going with Susvara and X9K I guess.
So I'm guessing at this point It's at the very least 80% chance for Caldera after the 10th Feb for me.

Also, I've heard there's a sub-bass roll off as well, is that a thing?

And probably last thing for now, do they need tube amps like the Utopia or are they at home with Solid State as well?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #3,175 of 7,059
As others have mentioned, I think the Caldera is an excellent all arounder, but then again I feel that way about most of the ZMF lineup. Obviously each ZMF has its genres where they truly shine, but for pure listening enjoyment, every ZMF has off the charts musicality and to my ears that translates to all arounder status.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #3,176 of 7,059
I've got a plan for Dynamic + Planar + eStats as my headphones inventory I guess, instead of going Utopia + Susvara + X9K

I don’t think getting “one of each” of estat, planar, and dynamic makes sense per se. There are some generalizations for these technologies, but the difference between specific headphone models is greater than all of that and I’d simply choose the 3 you like most.

Which headphone/s do you have today and what do you like about it, and what are you hoping to get more off or different?

X9K is basically Susvara on steroids from what I've heard

The Susvara and X9k are also different in presentation.

I've heard there's a sub-bass roll off as well, is that a thing?

No it’s not imho

do they need tube amps like the Utopia or are they at home with Solid State as well?

Not at all. I drive them both off solid state and tube amps and they sound wonderful with both. Matter of taste and synergies to your system. But tube amp isn’t needed for a beautiful outcome (I love the Caldera soundubf off my CFA-3).

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #3,177 of 7,059
Also, I've heard there's a sub-bass roll off as well, is that a thing?
Where did you hear that?

I promise the graphs on our website are accurate 😎

CALDERA: HATS (RED DOTTED) COMPARED TO AECM206 FLAT PLATE (BLUE SOLID) MEASUREMENTS

1675560184607.png

It's got the classic planar ruler flat low bass response I promise. 🙏

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 4, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #3,178 of 7,059
I only have one top of the line headphone at a time, so I generally tend to want an all rounder but one that leans toward fun and makes rock shine. The Caldera does this amazingly well.

But just to see how well it does handle all the genres I did a quick run through of Qobuz - Taste of Qobuz, playing a random few songs in each genre. Everything sounds great. When I first got them I mentioned I thought classical was its weak spot but even that sounds great now. Open soundstage, harpsichord has detail and resolution, amazing precision and layering. The improvement in classical is due to Verite Silver 4.4mm I got a few weeks back. With the OFC cable classical was pleasant enough but just didn’t feel the clarity was there. The nice thing is the extra clarity didn’t ruin the fun factor of other genres. All my listening is with suede pads. Should have stock pads by next week.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #3,179 of 7,059
Oh so very interesting, I decided to try the OFC cable again after those comments. And yes, that same classical album wasn’t quite as good but then I went back to a test track for rock - PJ Harvey - Big Exit - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea. It wasn’t quite as enjoyable on the Verite as it was on the OFC. It’s lacks a little warmth and punch in comparison. So I figured I bust out the Thick pads again. Wow, they sound great. The guitar still sounds wonderful, the mid magic is still there but now I have warmth and punch. It really rocks again. Initially I was just going to order a longer OFC but it wasn’t available, so figured might is well go for broke with the Verite.

On a side note, even after watching the video on how to changes pads and flip fabric like a sock, still no luck. Tried for 10 mins. I literally was sweating with frustration. Wife got both pads on in like 2 minutes. I did help hold in a few spots. So not even going to try to putting the stock pads on myself when they get here. And who knows, the thick pads might be my preference with the Verite Silver cable.

Edit: so I’m not sure what is it but after more listening the Thick pads just don’t do it for me. I went back over a few tracks I was testing different genres and Thin Lizzy - Boys are Back in Town just sounds a little dull with the thick. So back to the suede. Think suede just sound less warmer and punchy in comparison but are still my preference. Just something about the suede sound that does it for me even with the Verite.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #3,180 of 7,059
even after watching the video on how to changes pads and flip fabric like a sock, still no luck

Practice makes perfect... Tip: no need to be gentle, they all stretch.. when you do the "flipping", just manipulate them where you want them without fear :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back