ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 29, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #2,776 of 7,014
Kennerton has such an easy system for pad swapping. The earpads mount essentially the same as for ZMFs, but there's a small opening/cut on the inner rim, allowing the lip of the earpad to move on to the right track. Then simply rotating the earpad in the right direction gets it all set up. It takes about 15 seconds. I'm surprised ZMF did not think of it or copy it (since surely not patented).

Of course, in my case the funny part is that I ended up using ZMF pads with the Kennerton.
I'm very familiar with that earpad mounting system. It's not without issues of its own, however: I find that when I first thread the pad's backflap into that slot, it's quite easy to slowly rotate the pad, feeding more and more of the backflap into the space where it goes. But after the pad is ~1/2-way on, the friction of pulling that backflap material through the groove increases, and by the time you're nearly done, it takes real force to turn the pad the final 5-10 degrees.

The only pad I ever tore was in that kind of pad mounting system.

My favorite pad-mounting system by far was the magnetic one used by Meze with the Empyrean. Of course it did confine one to only pads sold by Meze and containing the requisite magnets. But it was beyond easy to swap pads on that headphone.

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #2,777 of 7,014
I really love the Caldera pads. I do not see them listed for sale separately on the ZMF website. Is there a post somewhere that describes what each pad does and explains where we can order them? I would like to order another suede Caldera pad.

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #2,778 of 7,014
My favorite pad-mounting system by far was the magnetic one used by Meze with the Empyrean. Of course it did confine one to only pads sold by Meze and containing the requisite magnets. But it was beyond easy to swap pads on that headphone.
By far the easiest I've used as well.

Each mounting approach does have pluses and minuses though, not only does the magnets lock you into one headphone pad obviously, they also introduce airflow which has to be accounted for in tuning.

Zach has definitely given the pads a LOT of thought over the years, and though slightly cumbersome, they seem to serve ZMF the best for now.

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #2,779 of 7,014
I love Meze's - Antonio Meze is a genius. The Meze Elite is an amazing headphone. I agree the pad swapping on those is really great.

You're right though about modularity, I personally will typically choose modularity over ease of use, just for my personal tastes.
I really love the Caldera pads. I do not see them listed for sale separately on the ZMF website. Is there a post somewhere that describes what each pad does and explains where we can order them? I would like to order another suede Caldera pad.
We don't have them listed yet but likely will get them up within the next 10 days. If you email me I can sell you another set or two directly though. We are also working on the pad charts and what not.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 29, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #2,780 of 7,014
I love Meze's - Antonio Meze is a genius. The Meze Elite is an amazing headphone. I agree the pad swapping on those is really great.

You're right though about modularity, I personally will typically choose modularity over ease of use, just for my personal tastes.

We don't have them listed yet but likely will get them up within the next 10 days. If you email me I can sell you another set or two directly though. We are also working on the pad charts and what not.
Zach, do you know when the 9.5’ OFC cable will be available?

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #2,781 of 7,014

Curious if there might be different types of suede ones coming.

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #2,782 of 7,014

Awesome. I will wait until you have it ready. I don't need them right away. I love the Caldera pads on the Atrium. The sound becomes a lot tighter with them.

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #2,783 of 7,014
@zach915m we need to have a little talk...

This simply won't do. My OCD is going into overdrive having two different pencil cases for my pads.

When are you going to have the new design available for sale so I can replace all of my old ones so they match?!?!

20221229_181645.jpg

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #2,785 of 7,014
Hey @zach915m any chance for a solid Caldera Cowhide (slim) pads or do you have any of your solid zmf pads closest to it? I am loving it a lot with my L3000 even though they are perforated pads and its probably my favorite pads ever. I just want to put those Cowhide pads on everything :L3000:

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #2,786 of 7,014
I love the pads that come with the Caldera. They are super comfy and the weight distribution is tremendous. In addition, the sound with the stock pads is extremely informative. I am not very good at changing pads on ZMF headphones. I feel like I am all thumbs and I struggle to swap them quickly. More my issue than the pads. They aren't hard to change, just hard for me.

I have been listening to the Caldera primarily on my 2 SS amps. CFA3 and Spring 1. Both are amazing with the Caldera. I like the Spring 1 most with the Caldera. It has some timbral coloration that works beautifully with the Caldera. The CFA3 is cleaner and has a bit more top end resolution which is also fantastic with the Caldera. Right now I am using my HP8 and I am getting a healthy dose of awesomeness. I love this amp and the Caldera is sounding open and musical. "Floating in a marshmallow sea". If you want to listen to what I am enjoying on Caldera/HP8, here you go. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #2,787 of 7,014
I love Meze's - Antonio Meze is a genius. The Meze Elite is an amazing headphone.
@zach915m, do you and Antonio Meze and Dan Clark and the other headphone masters of the universe have a yearly Davos-style gathering?

Dec 30, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #2,788 of 7,014
Definitely want to try some extra pads for caldera. But I’m waiting for salire here @zach915m. Once it’s here, I’ll order together to save on shipping and import fees…
I'll probably list some Salire this weekend, we have some stock done or very close to it.
Hey @zach915m any chance for a solid Caldera Cowhide (slim) pads or do you have any of your solid zmf pads closest to it? I am loving it a lot with my L3000 even though they are perforated pads and its probably my favorite pads ever. I just want to put those Cowhide pads on everything :L3000:
The solid pads I haven't had as much success overall, the current iteration with the solid interior however is kind of that hubris perforation that will work on open or closed headphones interestingly enough. Not always with preferable results, but the current cowhide if you like them is a great option and I'm glad they work on those!
@zach915m, do you and Antonio Meze and Dan Clark and the other headphone masters of the universe have a yearly Davos-style gathering?
Haha I wish!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 30, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #2,789 of 7,014
Kennerton has such an easy system for pad swapping. The earpads mount essentially the same as for ZMFs, but there's a small opening/cut on the inner rim,

Of course, in my case the funny part is that I ended up using ZMF pads with the Kennerton.

I didn’t see such opening on my Kennerton Thekk (?) and found mounting pads on them much more difficult than on ZMF headphones

That said, I too ended up with ZMF Beyer+ lambskin perforated pads on my Thekk..

My favorite pad-mounting system by far was the magnetic one used by Meze with the Empyrean

The gold standard of pad swapping

I use the ZMF lambskin solid pads with the L3000 - perfect fit sonically and comfort wise, highly recommended!

Dec 30, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #2,790 of 7,014
I use the ZMF lambskin solid pads with the L3000 - perfect fit sonically and comfort wise, highly recommended!
I remember you told me that on the L3000 thread. I bought the ZMF Lambskin Solid pads along with the Auteur Pads lambskin solid pads. I got the Auteur pads because I did a quick skim through the VC thread and saw some people enjoying it with their VC, so I hope it will have the same positive effect on the L3000. I got a notification that they are coming tomorrow so I'm super pump.

1 reason I really like the Cowhide pads is that the bass/subbass feels very satisfying on both the Caldera and L3000. I remember Zach talked about a closed Caldera in the future. If he does it, them solid Cowhide pads will probably do wonders for those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back