ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 14, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #2,446 of 7,014
This is probably a strange request but can anyone comment on differences I might hear going from an IEM like the U12T to the Caldera? Mostly curious in terms of tonality. I sold most of my headphones in preparation for the Caldera so the U12T has been my daily driver and will be fresh in my head when my Caldera arrives!

Dec 14, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #2,448 of 7,014
This is probably a strange request but can anyone comment on differences I might hear going from an IEM like the U12T to the Caldera? Mostly curious in terms of tonality. I sold most of my headphones in preparation for the Caldera so the U12T has been my daily driver and will be fresh in my head when my Caldera arrives!

Both of them kind of balance-warmish character. Caldera deliver more depth, separation, micro detail and precise imaging. U12t strike with more bass punch, and upper mid bite as well, but at the same time less refine, less fluid and definitely more intimate presentation.\

I can imagine a person may enjoy both of them.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #2,449 of 7,014
Which amps r u using?
How do they compare for you?
Sorry for the delay. My new amp is a 2 chassis CFA3. It is a long story how this happened, but after 12 months the CFA3 is finally home. And it sounds amazing with the Caldera. My other SS amp is the very rare Cembalo Labs Spring 1. It has been my main amp for almost 3 yrs and it is a truly unique and amazing amp. Also, extremely good with the Caldera. And then I have an Icon Audio HP8 MK2 Signature with the Mundorf Caps.

The CFA3 is an interesting amp with a very clean sound. I love the way the Caldera sounds with it. Bottom line is that the Caldera sounds amazing with all three amps.

More to come…

Attachments

• 872C3E2B-E3B0-4BBA-9407-4F3D2EF77A6A.jpeg
    872C3E2B-E3B0-4BBA-9407-4F3D2EF77A6A.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Dec 14, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #2,450 of 7,014
Both of them kind of balance-warmish character. Caldera deliver more depth, separation, micro detail and precise imaging. U12t strike with more bass punch, and upper mid bite as well, but at the same time less refine, less fluid and definitely more intimate presentation.\

I can imagine a person may enjoy both of them.
Probably off topic but I wonder how different is u6t to the u12t. The u6t is supposedly tuned with u12t in mind. But I find the u6t to have a much different tonality compared to the caldera, at least with the m15 filter.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #2,452 of 7,014
@geoffalter11 very cool looking CFA3, is that a Dukei build? Looks like a smaller form factor too. I recently got a CFA3 for TC and love it with a 300B tube pre, highly recommend it.

Also eagerly awaiting your detailed impressions of Caldera with your new amp!
Yes it is one of his last builds. It is about half the size with the PSU outside but still the nuked out version with everything a CFA3 is and should be.

I will post more pics and impressions soon. They make for a great combo.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #2,453 of 7,014
Sorry for the delay. My new amp is a 2 chassis CFA3. It is a long story how this happened, but after 12 months the CFA3 is finally home. And it sounds amazing with the Caldera. My other SS amp is the very rare Cembalo Labs Spring 1. It has been my main amp for almost 3 yrs and it is a truly unique and amazing amp. Also, extremely good with the Caldera. And then I have an Icon Audio HP8 MK2 Signature with the Mundorf Caps.

The CFA3 is an interesting amp with a very clean sound. I love the way the Caldera sounds with it. Bottom line is that the Caldera sounds amazing with all three amps.

More to come…
That PSU looks amazing.
If only the CFA front would have matching fronts.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #2,454 of 7,014
That PSU looks amazing.
If only the CFA front would have matching fronts.
I like the PSU too. I actually really love the face of the CFA. I tend to get stuff all one color, but love the color and like the way it looks quite a lot.

The gain on the amp is perfect and a great match with 40-60 ohm loads. Still a ton of volume play even with all the power yet really brings out the subtlety in the Caldera.

My first impression with the Caldera on the CFA3 was how detailed it sounded. My Spring is truly a wonderful amp but it doesn’t present detail the same way. At first I thought I was hearing static, but then realized it was the first time I could hear the entire hit of the hands on the bongos. The slap of the hand, the reverb of the instrument and decay of the skin on the bongo giving way. The CFA and Caldera are amazing together! More to come…

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #2,455 of 7,014
I currently have the CFA and HP8 hooked up to the Comet+ and the Spring 1 hooked to the Audio-GD R28, which has the R1 R2R DAC inside. These will be what I use for more impressions and ultimately reviews of both the Atrium and Caldera.

@jinxy245 thank you for posting your review of the Caldera. It is a great read…

Dec 14, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #2,456 of 7,014

More to come…

Thanks! And a very cool collection of amps!!

right you were getting that CFA3.. :) Sibce I got mine a week ago been testing it. A real a contrast to my tube amp (Nirvana). On the whole, I think I'll continue to prefer tthe Nirvana, but I'm finding some specific areas where each does better. I think the CFA3 has the upperhand in complex/very layer music - such as classical orchestra or big band jazz music - where its slightly leaner/clearner edge provides a touch of air, clarity, and opennes; while the Nirvana has notably better textured bass and that delicious tonality and holographic feel of a great tube amp that I'm in love with. If I listen to either on its own I don't miss antyhing, until I compare to the other, then these distinctions in voicing become very clear .

I never had a chance to every listen to either the Cembalo or the Icon - that's very good to know...

Please keep us posted on your impressions of the CFA3 as they evolve.. will do the same.. :)

Dec 14, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #2,457 of 7,014
At first I thought I was hearing static, but then realized it was the first time I could hear the entire hit of the hands on the bongos. The slap of the hand, the reverb of the instrument and decay of the skin on the bongo giving way.

Which track? :)

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #2,459 of 7,014
Dec 14, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #2,460 of 7,014

Users who are viewing this thread

Back