ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Nov 27, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #1,831 of 7,059
I usually make a playlist for every new pair of headphones I get to keep track of recordings that really make me tap my foot on them. On the Calderas this has been a futile effort as I just want to add everything I hear to it

I can also say that Caldera passes the Shakira test (makes me want to move my hips)

Nov 27, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #1,833 of 7,059
Are the Caldera’s very power efficient?
I see they have much lower resistance than the dynamic ZMF’s (60 vs.300). How do they compare?

Nov 27, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #1,834 of 7,059
I see they have much lower resistance than the dynamic ZMF’s (60 vs.300). How do they compare?
General consensus so far is that these are fairly easy to drive for a planar - not crazy power hungry like Susvaras or Stealth/Expanse. Sounds like pretty much any SS amp should drive them just fine but not great fits with OTL’s.

Nov 27, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #1,835 of 7,059
@SlothRock beat me to it...
Like most planars they seem to like a little bit of juice, but it doesn't take a ton of power to drive them. They definitely do seem to scale with better equipment IMO.

Nov 27, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #1,836 of 7,059
Sensitivity is more what you want to look at. At 95db/mw they’re only a bit more power hungry than other ZMFs. The 60hms does tell you they’ll need more current at a given power level though, so that affects amp choice (and is why you don’t want to use an OTL probably as others have mentioned)

Nov 27, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #1,837 of 7,059
Will be testing this by running it off the Cayin RU6 dongle. My guess is that they won’t run very well on the single-ended out.

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #1,838 of 7,059
Sensitivity is more what you want to look at. At 95db/mw they’re only a bit more power hungry than other ZMFs. The 60hms does tell you they’ll need more current at a given power level though, so that affects amp choice (and is why you don’t want to use an OTL probably as others have mentioned)
What about TOTL daps? I am able to run my VC’s and Atriums properly on my 300max and Shanling M9.

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #1,839 of 7,059
What about TOTL daps? I am able to run my VC’s and Atriums properly on my 300max and Shanling M9.
Depends on what degree you want to drive them to. I personally find my Atrium to be "acceptable" for portable use with amps at around 400mW @32Ω, because I stop feeling like my music is being suffocated by the lack of power at around this level. I should add that I listen to my music at around 65-70dB typically. So for my "acceptable" threshold, a midrange model DAP will be more than enough. Now, a higher end DAP will obviously bring better sound quality to the table.

Again, to reiterate others earlier in the thread, the Caldera with its 95mW/dB @60Ω should be relatively easy to drive, and a TOTL DAP should find it a walk in the park to drive. I would say the DAP you choose should be about sound synergy with the cans, than its ability to drive it.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #1,840 of 7,059
Depends on what degree you want to drive them to. I personally find my Atrium to be "acceptable" for portable use with amps at around 400mW @32Ω, because I stop feeling like my music is being suffocated by the lack of power at around this level. I should add that I listen to my music at around 65-70dB typically.

Given that a Caldera's only 60Ω, that's 1/5 the impedance. To get the same level of performance on the Caldera, I'd only theoretically need 80mW of an amp. So for my "acceptable" threshold, a budget model DAP will be more than enough. Now, a higher end DAP will obviously bring better sound quality to the table.

Again, to reiterate others earlier in the thread, the Caldera with its 95mW/dB @60Ω should be relatively easy to drive, and a TOTL DAP should find it a walk in the park to drive. I would say the DAP you choose should be about sound synergy with the cans, than its ability to drive it.
My lowest power dap is my RS8 at 840mw. Shanling M9 has 920mw both at 32 ohms. My 300 max has 1.5 watts of class A. I don’t think you could drive them properly with 600mw or less…

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #1,841 of 7,059
My lowest power dap is my RS8 at 840mw. Shanling M9 has 920mw both at 32 ohms. My 300 max has 1.5 watts of class A. I don’t think you could drive them properly with 600mw or less…
My math was bad there, realized after I posted. It’s most certainly possible to drive them at 400mW, but they’re not going to sound their greatest. My figure was based on my personal threshold, where if I’m using a DAP, I wouldn’t really be doing any critical listening.

Looking at the M9 spec sheet, if it drives your Atrium fine, it should likely drive a Caldera just as well.

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #1,842 of 7,059
Will be testing this by running it off the Cayin RU6 dongle. My guess is that they won’t run very well on the single-ended out.
I actually run one of these at my desk for the space saving. It gets enough volume with the 4.4 jack, ofcourse the headroom and solidity of a full size isn't there but for casual listening it gets you by. The benefit too is that then when you go to listen to your powerful full sized amp more studiously it reminds me why I have that bigger setup! I think it's more fun to have varied levels of gear than just totl. 😎💪💪👍

kramer-seinfeld.gif

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 28, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #1,843 of 7,059
I actually run one of these at my desk for the space saving. It gets enough volume with the 4.4 jack, ofcourse the headroom and solidity of a full size isn't there but for casual listening it gets you by. The benefit too is that then when you go to listen to your powerful full sized amp more studiously it reminds me why I have that bigger setup! I think it's more fun to have varied levels of gear than just totl. 😎💪💪👍

kramer-seinfeld.gif
I kind of had a suspicion that you have the RU6. Guess it’s time to get a 4.4 mm adaptor just for some fun :beyersmile:

Also… my caldera came in a day early than expected! Shoutouts to the team at zmf and fedex for the swift shipping. They look divine. As good as I expected based on the launch YT videos. Excuse me I’ll leave this snap here and go listen……
01114063-F27B-44CF-A216-A6AA69002520.jpeg

Nov 28, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #1,845 of 7,059
I kind of had a suspicion that you have the RU6. Guess it’s time to get a 4.4 mm adaptor just for some fun :beyersmile:

Also… my caldera came in a day early than expected! Shoutouts to the team at zmf and fedex for the swift shipping. They look divine. As good as I expected based on the launch YT videos. Excuse me I’ll leave this snap here and go listen……
01114063-F27B-44CF-A216-A6AA69002520.jpeg
pictures like this make it very difficult to not spend oney

Users who are viewing this thread

Back