ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Nov 8, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #1,096 of 7,054
Has there ever been a walnut burl ZMF? I have walnut ALL OVER my house - it's my favorite wood by a large degree.

Nov 8, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #1,097 of 7,054
Has there ever been a walnut burl ZMF? I have walnut ALL OVER my house - it's my favorite wood by a large degree.
Years ago when the Ori was called the "Omni," one of the available woods was walnut. If memory serves, it's medium hardness (not quite as hard as oak or maple) and can be stained in various ways to bring out that wonderful grain pattern. No matter how you stain & finish it, walnut is a great looking wood.

I have no idea what the availability of walnut/black walnut is these days, but is strikes me as very suitable for use as a stock headphone wood.

Nov 8, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #1,098 of 7,054
For anyone who currently has a test/demo of the Caldera, could you do me a favor, please?

https://tidal.com/browse/track/77676941

Could you pop this track on, give it a little volume, and give me your impressions specific to impact, attack, and decay? The hits and the electronic keyboard in particular, and then when the horns kick in after the intro is what I'm interested.

Thanks, kindly!

Nov 8, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #1,099 of 7,054
If the next LTD run will be walnut burl, redwood burl or australian blackwood i can only pull the trigger.

Fast driver + soft reverby wood will be an euphonic combination :)

Nov 8, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #1,102 of 7,054
The.. what now?
The Salire is ZMF's wood headphone stand. You can see a picture of one above your post. There are usually a selection of different wood types.

Nov 8, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #1,104 of 7,054
Came home to these last night==all suede version. Need some burn in and evaluation time, but I will say this level of detail is extremely addictive.

Already with some of my test songs I keep thinking, this is how I always wanted this song to sound! Some extremely busy songs which always sound mashed together, everything sounds incredibly distinct, clear, and never sharp. One of my favorite test songs is a recording of a music box, Bjork's Frosti, (my SACD file sounds much better than the YouTube one of course). On the Caldera it basically makes every other time I've listened to it sound flat in comparison. Who knew a music box could sound so voluptuous?

It's making me realize how much more information there really is in these songs. Aside from brief listens of the Abyss 1266 TC, I've not heard such detail in the bass before. In the broadest sense so far, my first impression is it's like my favorite aspects of the Atrium, Verite Open, and a high end electrostat like the SR-009 all merged together, with a bit of more restrained 1266 bass thrown in--so basically my favorite headphones.

Glad these came the night before my days off. I don't think I'm going to get much of anything else done besides listening!

Thanks @zach915m for the opportunity, though I was already dying to own them within a couple minutes of listening to them at SoCal CanJam. I'm glad they're holding up quite well on my gear even compared to some of the $10k-30k setups I heard it on in September.

Attachments

• IMG_8691.jpeg
    IMG_8691.jpeg
    609.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8692.jpeg
    IMG_8692.jpeg
    450.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 8, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #1,106 of 7,054
Yeah. I've flown back with items in the past that I haven't declared but i'm a bit more cautious now that I have Nexus. I simply just dont think it's worth it to lose that privilege if I get caught.

Getting back on topic has there been any other reviews on the Caldera besides @Monsterzero ?

I'm eagerly awaiting @TylersEclectic review as he's always got excellent insight into everything ZMF.
I'm hoping to have my video done by next week sometime =) just have another video in the pipe ahead of it =)

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #1,107 of 7,054
For anyone who currently has a test/demo of the Caldera, could you do me a favor, please?

https://tidal.com/browse/track/77676941

Could you pop this track on, give it a little volume, and give me your impressions specific to impact, attack, and decay? The hits and the electronic keyboard in particular, and then when the horns kick in after the intro is what I'm interested.

Thanks, kindly!

that link doesn't work sorry, but lmk track and will try to find

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #1,108 of 7,054
Nov 8, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #1,109 of 7,054
Supertramp - Bloody Well Right

Thanks!
based on the first 50-second intro: fast attack, fast decay - the keybord is more staccato than legato in feel. I assume the horns you refer to are those couple of blasts interspersing that keybord intro. Same comment on those!

Nov 8, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #1,110 of 7,054
based on the first 50-second intro: fast attack, fast decay - the keybord is more staccato than legato in feel. I assume the horns you refer to are those couple of blasts interspersing that keybord intro. Same comment on those!
Those blasts are the "hits". The horns kick in about a minute in along with the guitars. The whole song is well recorded for its time and it's a great track for tracking instrument speeds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back