ZMF Auteur Thread
Nov 17, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #5,506 of 8,271
I’m alternating between my Quicksilver Headphone Amp and SW51+, so I’m always using tubes with my ZMF’s.

Nov 17, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #5,507 of 8,271
How would yall compare the Auteur to Aeolus? I hear the B stock VCs go real fast so I'm looking into backups lol.
My short summary, listening to both almost daily through my Bottlehead Crack, is:

Aeolus (Universe Suede): Warm, fuzzy, and engaging. Full, rich bass without bleeding into the very lush mids. Rolled off treble with a small 6k bite to add clarity. Fantastic instrument separation. A seriously guilty (not guilty) pleasure.

Auteur (Eikon Suede): Punchy, alive, organic. Not as warm as Aeolus, but with harder-hitting bass. Mid timbre is near perfection, but upper mids slightly elevated. Imaging, soundstage, and clarity a step above Aeolus. Most life-like headphone I've ever heard.

Nov 17, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #5,508 of 8,271
I often hear that the ZMF B Stocks don't even look like typical B Stocks or having any real discernable flaws. Based on what i've seen here with the used B-Stocks, it seems to be true.
That's certainly been my experience with the b-stock Aeolus & Eikon. The Aeolus I never figured out what the issue was, other than maybe the grill was not perfectly flush on one cup, and on my Eikon camphor what look like a couple lighter lines like it was knicked or something but it's only on one cup and I really have to try to see it in bright light. By VO bought used certainly had more cosmetic issues that either of the b-stocks.

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #5,509 of 8,271
I often hear that the ZMF B Stocks don't even look like typical B Stocks or having any real discernable flaws. Based on what i've seen here with the used B-Stocks, it seems to be true.
My B stock aeolus had a crack about half way through the cup. Never had any issues with it for the 12-13 months I had it.

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #5,510 of 8,271
My B stock aeolus had a crack about half way through the cup. Never had any issues with it for the 12-13 months I had it.

Did you buy it like that from ZMF directly? And if so - were those details apparent or highlighted on the website? Sorry for all the questions - I'm just trying to figure out what to expect from their upcoming B-Stock sale.

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #5,511 of 8,271
Did you buy it like that from ZMF directly? And if so - were those details apparent or highlighted on the website? Sorry for all the questions - I'm just trying to figure out what to expect from their upcoming B-Stock sale.
Bought from ZMF directly. Those details are in the description of B stock headphones. I don't have the full description, but its something like B stock typically included used/demo pairs from shows, "factory seconds" ie something damaged but fixed, scratched cups. Things like that.

Many people have no issues and most look A stock. Mine specifically was very hard to see but it was there. If there are any cracks or something like that, they take the appropriate measures in repairing it. I had no worries about it.

If you're worried about B stock, I'd say jump on a rarity wood that looks good to you.

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #5,512 of 8,271
Bought from ZMF directly. Those details are in the description of B stock headphones. I don't have the full description, but its something like B stock typically included used/demo pairs from shows, "factory seconds" ie something damaged but fixed, scratched cups. Things like that.

Many people have no issues and most look A stock. Mine specifically was very hard to see but it was there. If there are any cracks or something like that, they take the appropriate measures in repairing it. I had no worries about it.

If you're worried about B stock, I'd say jump on a rarity wood that looks good to you.

No not too worried at all. I just recently acquired a used Auteur Wenge here so I am very happy with that. I've seen some of the B-Stocks being sold here, and yes I couldn't tell any differences either. I'd love to get a second pair - so just getting a feel of how much is disclosed with the B-Stocks from ZMF. But I think you're right - have to jump at that rarity wood when possible. Hopefully @ckhirnigs113 does not horde any more of the Manchurian Ash. Lol. Just kidding - but it is a gorgeous wood nonetheless.

Nov 18, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #5,513 of 8,271
No not too worried at all. I just recently acquired a used Auteur Wenge here so I am very happy with that. I've seen some of the B-Stocks being sold here, and yes I couldn't tell any differences either. I'd love to get a second pair - so just getting a feel of how much is disclosed with the B-Stocks from ZMF. But I think you're right - have to jump at that rarity wood when possible. Hopefully @ckhirnigs113 does not horde any more of the Manchurian Ash. Lol. Just kidding - but it is a gorgeous wood nonetheless.
I really was quite the connoisseur of Manchurian Ash for a minute there! I loved my Ash VC's, but these Ash Auteurs I got are next-level in the looks department. I don't know if I would ever sell them even if I stopped listening to them, which I don't forsee. They just look so good on my headphone stand that I like to just sit back and admire them sometimes, while listening to my VC's of course!

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #5,514 of 8,271
Sadly I need to depart with my longtime Blackwood Auteur's. I'll be posting them in the FS forum tonight if anyone is interested in giving them a new home. Or just PM me for more details.

Nov 18, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #5,515 of 8,271
I couldn’t resist the beautiful Blackwood and Brass Auteur that @heliosphann offered up. I can’t decide if I was the in the right place at the right time or the wrong place at the wrong time.

Either way, I’m about to have two amazing Auteurs in the house waging battle against each other for my affection. My poor Olive VC might feel a little neglected for a while.

Nov 18, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #5,516 of 8,271
I couldn’t resist the beautiful Blackwood and Brass Auteur that @heliosphann offered up. I can’t decide if I was the in the right place at the right time or the wrong place at the wrong time.

Either way, I’m about to have two amazing Auteurs in the house waging battle against each other for my affection. My poor Olive VC might feel a little neglected for a while.
Just happy it's going to a good home!

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #5,517 of 8,271

Blackwood is a magical wood, I'm sure you'll love them!

Super curious to hear which one you prefer of the two, especially since I've heard some really amazing things about the Blackwood Auteurs in particular. Unfortunately I think they're just too heavy for me.

Congrats to both of you!

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #5,518 of 8,271
Blackwood is a magical wood, I'm sure you'll love them!

Super curious to hear which one you prefer of the two, especially since I've heard some really amazing things about the Blackwood Auteurs in particular. Unfortunately I think they're just too heavy for me.

Congrats to both of you!
I doubt I would have been so lucky in getting this set if @heliosphann had posted a picture of his Auteur alongside his post. It was all over for me once I saw them.
111F8018-444E-4951-9757-1552DAC7C4B5.jpeg

Nov 19, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #5,520 of 8,271
Man…so many sexy auteur options coming up, it makes me want to get a second pair to try a completely different wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back