ZMF Auteur Thread
Nov 10, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #5,492 of 8,284
I just got a used Auteur, and all this talk about bop filters has me wondering why so many of you have replaced them. Did Zach release an improved version, or was there something wrong with all of your original bop filters?
My Auteur has a bit of “flex” with the bop filter when I first pit the headphone on. It’s not as worrysome as when it happens on planar drivers, but it’s still a little annoying, and something the newer filters fix.

I also find that it makes things easier when swapping ear pads.

Nov 11, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #5,493 of 8,284
I just got a used Auteur, and all this talk about bop filters has me wondering why so many of you have replaced them. Did Zach release an improved version, or was there something wrong with all of your original bop filters?
AFAIK the major complaint was some noise from the Bopp filters as creases developed over time, these are reportedly don't develop the noise inducing folds yet retain the same sound signature.

Nov 11, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #5,494 of 8,284
Just an FYI, I reached out to Bevin and she confirmed that the mesh I have is too small, and sent me another set.

On a side note, it makes me wonder if they either cut the mesh too small, or if there is a smaller ear cup design that might use it sometime in the near future...like on a portable closed back ZMF model maybeeee? I could be reading WAY too into this lol

Nov 13, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #5,495 of 8,284
Just an FYI, I reached out to Bevin and she confirmed that the mesh I have is too small, and sent me another set.

On a side note, it makes me wonder if they either cut the mesh too small, or if there is a smaller ear cup design that might use it sometime in the near future...like on a portable closed back ZMF model maybeeee? I could be reading WAY too into this lol
There is a "cheaper" (I think price point was like aiming $900?) closed back that was in the works. I would assume it still in the works but who knows. There was an interview from someone with ZMF and they actually showed it off. It was supposed to be more streamlined materials so its basically a ready to go headphone, not a made to order one like the current lineup.

Nov 15, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #5,496 of 8,284
How are you finding the Soekris? I always wondered about that DAC. The Auteur sounds even better with tubes but you can’t go wrong with the Mini.
I am not much of a DAC nut but it has a more natural sound than the D90 I previously had. More importantly there is more depth to the sound and space. The D90 was actually pretty solid but did have a rather flat sound. I am really pleased with the GS-X mini/Soekris 2541 pairing especially with the Auteur. Someday I will add a good tube amp to the set up but my current enjoyment level is extremely high!

My preferred is the Auteur Lambskin Perf. I hated the Eikon Suede Perf. I find the Auteur Pads to be the most balanced to my ears. I am super sensitive to overly mid bass centric tunings. I find them muddy and slow. I hear the BE2 is another amazing pad for the Auteur and Verite. I haven’t heard them, though. For my Code X I use the Ori Sheepkin and they are sublime.
I totally agree with you. I can see where some may have a preference for the colored sound of the Eikon pads but I felt they ruined the perfect balance exhibited by the Auteur with the lambskin perforated Auteur pads. I have three sets of the Auteur pads and the material and dimensions of them seems to vary quite a bit. I have a strong preference for the older oval-shaped ones that are much deeper.

Anyone who recently purchased an Auteur or the new bop filter for an auteur, can you plz tell me if the smooth and black/dark side or the rough and silver side faces up?

I just received my bop filters from zach but im not sure which side faces up/down. I also would like to know if it matters at all?

Thank you

My Auteur has a bit of “flex” with the bop filter when I first pit the headphone on. It’s not as worrysome as when it happens on planar drivers, but it’s still a little annoying, and something the newer filters fix.

I also find that it makes things easier when swapping ear pads.

AFAIK the major complaint was some noise from the Bopp filters as creases developed over time, these are reportedly don't develop the noise inducing folds yet retain the same sound signature.
So the bop filters on the Auteur has been a major point of frustration for me over the last couple years. The original filter on my old Blackwoods was glued to the 3D-printed driver grill. The material was almost nothing and tended to come unglued.

ZMF then started using a thick metal mesh material screen filter. As others have mentioned the screen had sharp edged and the soft stretchy cloth part of the pads would get caught on them. More concerning was that with only four attachment points the filter would buckled slightly between each screw. On very quiet songs with deep subtle bass I could hear the filter vibrating against the grille. I could hear it stop when I pushed my ear against it.

My latest Auteurs came with the new very thin and flexible bop filters that are black on one side and silver on the other. Again I have had issues with these as well. As they are only attached by four screws the material does not sit flush between each connection point. With this much lighter material bass tones were literally vibrating the whole filter which I could feel against my ear- especially from the more abrasive silver side of the filter. I did two things to address this- I flipped the filter so that the black smoother and softer side was facing my ear and then taped down the filter between the screw attachment points. This pretty much addressed all my issues but I hope that ZMF can figure out a way to maybe permanently attach the filter to the now plastic driver grill covers to avoid this vibration problem with the filters.

PXL_20211115_151320100.jpg

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #5,498 of 8,284
Ya'll got filters ? All I got is this. Should I swap it for a bop filter ? The mesh one ?

PXL_20211115_154830573.jpg

EDIT : Dog for scale
I think that is the version that had me believing the Auteur was originally shipped w/o a filter, but it looks like there is a filter over the driver. His filters have changed over the years, I'd say if you like what you hear it's probably not worth buying a new one since Zach has made it clear that he's tried to keep the tuning as close as possible from filter to filter. Of course if you're just curious, there no harm in experimenting!

Nov 17, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #5,499 of 8,284
@shafat777 I was wondering if you would do me a favor and describe the differences you found between the stock Auteur Perforated Lambskin and the Auteur Perforated Hybrid pads. You seem to be one of the few that have tried both, and I read one of your posts saying you preferred the Hybrid. I need to get some new pads for the Ash Auteur I just bought, and I'm trying to decide between a fresh set of the stock Auteur Lambskins and the Hybrids. I appreciated any info you can provide to help me decide!

Nov 17, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #5,502 of 8,284
How would yall compare the Auteur to Aeolus? I hear the B stock VCs go real fast so I'm looking into backups lol.

I often hear that the ZMF B Stocks don't even look like typical B Stocks or having any real discernable flaws. Based on what i've seen here with the used B-Stocks, it seems to be true.

Nov 17, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #5,503 of 8,284
@shafat777 I was wondering if you would do me a favor and describe the differences you found between the stock Auteur Perforated Lambskin and the Auteur Perforated Hybrid pads. You seem to be one of the few that have tried both, and I read one of your posts saying you preferred the Hybrid. I need to get some new pads for the Ash Auteur I just bought, and I'm trying to decide between a fresh set of the stock Auteur Lambskins and the Hybrids. I appreciated any info you can provide to help me decide!
Stock auteur pads are a little more punchy and slightly more sparkle in the top end. The hybrid pads are enhanced the mids and vocals a little more and also smooth out the top end which results in a more laid back sound that the lamskin counterpart. I am currently using the lambskin pads because my POntus 2 + Elise combo is warm and gooey, so the lambskin adds just the right amount of dynamics to the sound and deepens the soundstage.

Nov 17, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #5,504 of 8,284
Stock auteur pads are a little more punchy and slightly more sparkle in the top end. The hybrid pads are enhanced the mids and vocals a little more and also smooth out the top end which results in a more laid back sound that the lamskin counterpart. I am currently using the lambskin pads because my POntus 2 + Elise combo is warm and gooey, so the lambskin adds just the right amount of dynamics to the sound and deepens the soundstage.
Thank your for those impressions. I’m not sure if I need any smoothing of the top end since I already get that from the suede Eikon pads. I think I might stick with a fresh set of Auteur Lambskin pads. Your info definitely helped me decide. Thanks again!

Nov 17, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #5,505 of 8,284
Thank your for those impressions. I’m not sure if I need any smoothing of the top end since I already get that from the suede Eikon pads. I think I might stick with a fresh set of Auteur Lambskin pads. Your info definitely helped me decide. Thanks again!
I personally don't like the eikon pads since those take away the soundstage of the auteur pads. The bass with the eikon are sublime. My Elise is tube rolled with some bass heavy tubes like kr vt231 so I got plenty of bass and don't need any more. What I crave is the width and air of the auteur pads. Which amp are you using with your auteur ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back