ZMF Auteur Thread
Oct 12, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #5,401 of 8,271

Oct 12, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #5,402 of 8,271
Has anyone tried the Universal Perforated on Auteur? How does it compare to the standard Auteur pad? Thanks
Zach's chart does an excellent job of summing up the general sonic shifts each pad will have on each headphone. And I can concur the perf universe leather pads make the Auteur very very neutral sounding. IMO it puts it on the lean side of things, more like an HD800. The bass and mids lose weight and impact, and the treble seems to have even more presence. I didn't like it and sold those pads pretty quickly. If you find the Auteur with Auteur pads too warm though then definitely try the Universe pads. I do love warmer headphones though so take that with a grain of salt.

1634051319965.png

Oct 12, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #5,403 of 8,271
Oct 12, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #5,404 of 8,271
The universe pads are dynamic. These add punch and mid vocal forwardness to the sound. These also narrow the soundstage a little. The stock auteur or auteur hybrid perf pads add air and crispness to the sound but they lack a little dynamics. The bass is full with both pads, but the universe pads add mid bass slam which deepens male vocals.

Oct 14, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #5,405 of 8,271
After listening to different pairings of h/p (dynamic->planar) to h/p/a (tube OTC->tube OTL->hybrid tube/ss->ss), there is for me no substitute for the musically involving combination of high-impedance dynamic h/p with tube OTL h/p/a. The pinnacle of this coupling, to me, is ZMF Auteur (😜 @LoryWiv) and Woo Audio WA2 (with RFT EZ81 rectifiers and RFT ECC81 drivers [😜 @Wes S]).
20BE3C9A-F66A-45AB-BE04-FE1BE9F99557.jpeg

Oct 14, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #5,406 of 8,271
After listening to different pairings of h/p (dynamic->planar) to h/p/a (tube OTC->tube OTL->hybrid tube/ss->ss), there is for me no substitute for the musically involving combination of high-impedance dynamic h/p with tube OTL h/p/a. The pinnacle of this coupling, to me, is ZMF Auteur (😜 @LoryWiv) and Woo Audio WA2 (with RFT EZ81 rectifiers and RFT ECC81 drivers [😜 @Wes S]). 20BE3C9A-F66A-45AB-BE04-FE1BE9F99557.jpeg

It's what "they" say...once you go tubes you'll never go back...

Oct 14, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #5,407 of 8,271
After listening to different pairings of h/p (dynamic->planar) to h/p/a (tube OTC->tube OTL->hybrid tube/ss->ss), there is for me no substitute for the musically involving combination of high-impedance dynamic h/p with tube OTL h/p/a. The pinnacle of this coupling, to me, is ZMF Auteur (😜 @LoryWiv) and Woo Audio WA2 (with RFT EZ81 rectifiers and RFT ECC81 drivers [😜 @Wes S]). 20BE3C9A-F66A-45AB-BE04-FE1BE9F99557.jpeg
Would love to hear more about the Auteur and all the otl and otc amps you tried and how they compare.

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #5,408 of 8,271
Would love to hear more about the Auteur and all the otl and otc amps you tried and how they compare.
The h/p/a that I currently own and have tried with the Auteur: Flux Lab FA-22, Linear Tube Audio MZ3, Rogue Audio RH-5, Schiit Valhalla II, Woo Audio WA2, Woo Audio WA6 (1st Gen).
The h/p/a that I previously owned and had tried with the Auteur: Benchmark DAC3, Copland DAC215, Icon Audio HP8 Mk II, Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum (cap-mod), Schiit Mjolnir II (cap-mod), Woo WA3. [That’s the short version.]

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #5,409 of 8,271
It's what "they" say...once you go tubes you'll never go back...
It’s not just tubes. For me, it’s well engineered high-impedance h/p fueled by well engineered high output impedance OTL tube h/p/a. As of now, that is Auteur & WA2 (with the aforesaid tubes). I’ll say this: the Linear Tube Audio MZ3 with its ZOTL (zero hysteresis OTL) circuitry is remarkable with a number of h/p. Possibly because of its low output impedance (2.0 ohms), and thus high effective damping factor, the MZ3 does not let the Auteur fully blossom….Oh well….one more observation to count in my hypothesis that for each headphone there is an ideal headphone amplifier for it.…AS I HEAR IT….

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #5,410 of 8,271
It’s not just tubes. For me, it’s well engineered high-impedance h/p fueled by well engineered high output impedance OTL tube h/p/a. As of now, that is Auteur & WA2 (with the aforesaid tubes). I’ll say this: the Linear Tube Audio MZ3 with its ZOTL (zero hysteresis OTL) circuitry is remarkable with a number of h/p. Possibly because of its low output impedance (2.0 ohms), and thus high effective damping factor, the MZ3 does not let the Auteur fully blossom….Oh well….one more observation to count in my hypothesis that for each headphone there is an ideal headphone amplifier for it.…AS I HEAR IT….
I gotta say, although it’s not a TOTL tube amp I’m enjoying the heck out of the BH Crack and the Auteur. I’d love to hear it on a WA2 someday though. That thing is legendary.

Oct 15, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #5,411 of 8,271
After listening to different pairings of h/p (dynamic->planar) to h/p/a (tube OTC->tube OTL->hybrid tube/ss->ss), there is for me no substitute for the musically involving combination of high-impedance dynamic h/p with tube OTL h/p/a. The pinnacle of this coupling, to me, is ZMF Auteur (😜 @LoryWiv) and Woo Audio WA2 (with RFT EZ81 rectifiers and RFT ECC81 drivers [😜 @Wes S]).
Listening to Auteur through my Elise OTL as I type, GEC KT-88 powers driven by Sylvania VT-231. The tone if GORGEOUS, so musical. I enjoy my lower (955 ohm) impedance Focal Clear MG through Elise as well, I muss say, but agree with the learned @jonathan c that well-engineered high output impedance OTL and high impedance dynamics like Auteur is a match made in heaven!

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #5,412 of 8,271
That’s is one fat Stack.

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #5,413 of 8,271
Listening to Auteur through my Elise OTL as I type, GEC KT-88 powers driven by Sylvania VT-231. The tone if GORGEOUS, so musical. I enjoy my lower (55 ohm) impedance Focal Clear MG through Elise as well, I must say, but agree with the learned @jonathan c that well-engineered high output impedance OTL and high impedance dynamics like Auteur is a match made in heaven!
…Only learn-ed by trial/error. As the saying goes: “knowledge comes from study, wisdom comes from observation”…

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #5,415 of 8,271
Can someone recommend a pair of pads for the Auteur I can buy from Amazon? Mine haven't been changed since 2018, or so they smell like buying used from a store :smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back