ZMF Auteur Thread
Jun 15, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #5,071 of 8,274
Received my Eikon Perf Lambskin pads today.
Using it in a config without mesh, and just wow.
Really impressed. Changed the sound even more into the direction that I love.

This headphone is getting better the longer you have it and it's so incredibly customizable.
Fantastic.

As far as the leather pads go during summer, I do notice it compared to other headphones that feel a bit more open and have velours pads, but I don't think it's too bad.
My avg room temparature during summer is ~26°C to 29°C.
I guess it depends on perception and body type / ear shape or whatever.

Jun 15, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #5,072 of 8,274
my discomfort has nothing to do with the headband though? Mine is pressure points on the pads…
mine were like that too - the cups weighted down on my ears something fierce after 45 minutes to an hour. i got a suede pilot pad from zmf and after installing it no more problems.

Jun 16, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #5,074 of 8,274
Still love my Auteurs two-ish years later as much as the day I received them. Wouldn't change a thing.
Same here, 3 years and change (rec'd Mar, 2018).

Jun 18, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #5,075 of 8,274
Been over two years since I bought my cocobolo Auteur. The Auteur and the HD650 are the only headphones in my collection now. Might add one of the Vérités at some point.

My Auteur is getting a little dinged up as time goes on, but I think it adds character :) always listening with tubes of course.

DSCF6673.jpg

Jun 18, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #5,076 of 8,274
Been over two years since I bought my cocobolo Auteur. The Auteur and the HD650 are the only headphones in my collection now. Might add one of the Vérités at some point.

My Auteur is getting a little dinged up as time goes on, but I think it adds character :) always listening with tubes of course.

DSCF6673.jpg
That's a pretty headphone. The contrast between the stainless grill & rich/warm coco wood is very nice.

Jun 18, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #5,077 of 8,274

DSCF6673.jpg
Ha, we have the same two "go to" headphones - 'Cept my Auteur is Cocobolo and brass. So far I have managed not to acquire dings since getting mine new in January, 2020.
IMG_20200328_152933952.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200328_152636633.jpg
    IMG_20200328_152636633.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Jun 18, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #5,078 of 8,274
Ha, we have the same two "go to" headphones - 'Cept my Auteur is Cocobolo and brass. So far I have managed not to acquire dings since getting mine new in January, 2020.

Looks great! The Auteur and HD650 pair well with the tubes, high priority for me :) HD650 really shines with a good amp. I avoided dings for a while, but cats are very unpredictable lol.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #5,079 of 8,274
These just arrived (wenge). My third (!) time owning an Auteur. I'm already liking it (again!), fresh out of the box, like an old familiar friend, using a Bakoon 13R (which is also a new arrival). My intention is to run it primarily off of a Cayin HA-300.

ought.jpg

Jun 19, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #5,080 of 8,274
If the stripe was thicker and more consistent with 1 of the cup not missing the top half it will definitely look better. But at the moment that stripe just looks awkwardly out of place..

Zach did tell me before that they are unable to guarantee the design for orders through dealers. So he gave a disclaimer before i ordered through the dealer, but the pattern looks awkward to me though :sweat:
You think you have an issue…well, I sold my Auteur Teak a month or so ago I bought a used pair of the Auteur Cocobolo. The only problem is one cup is stained darker than the other cup. This wasn’t disclosed before the sale.

However, they sound awesome and believe it or not sounds different than my original Teaks that I had.

Personally, the seller should have disclosed the differences in the cups and that they were B-Stock.

Jun 20, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #5,081 of 8,274
These just arrived (wenge). My third (!) time owning an Auteur. I'm already liking it (again!), fresh out of the box, like an old familiar friend, using a Bakoon 13R (which is also a new arrival). My intention is to run it primarily off of a Cayin HA-300.

ought.jpg

Looking forward to your thoughts 3rd time around. I kind of miss the Auteur. Honestly in retrospect, I think I enjoyed it more than VC. I can see myself getting Auteur again in near future.

Jun 20, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #5,082 of 8,274

ought.jpg
Stunners! I think Wenge is best looking wood of all woods used, and would love to own a pair some day.

Jun 22, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #5,083 of 8,274
Z&C, to be fair to them they have been great to deal with except for the spalting design part.

Zach also replied saying for purchases through dealer they are unable to help and any customer service should be with the dealer since ZMF is a separate business than them. I guess i'm stuck with my unit design.

On a side note, i find the pads really uncomfortable with pressure points at the back upper neck / below ear - jaw. Rotating the pads doesn't really help much either. Changing to the Eikon suede pads only helps a little. Anyone has any way to help with the comfort?
Among the few headphones i find comfortable are the HD800s, could be due to the light clamping + soft/shallow earpads.
Thank you for this— Our crew works very hard to bring the best, like ZMF does to create headphones. However, wood is a natural material, and there will be variable results. The Salire should cheer you up a little and the Pilot Pad will relieve some of the pressure. We did make a note to ZMF as we always do with requests, and we do not always get what's requested because there is good reason (copying ZMF's verbiage here that we feel important to reiterate) :

"Regardless of the headphone ordered, all our products are made from solid wood, without laminates or veneer. No two pieces of wood are the same, and you should expect variance from the pictures you've seen both on the website, and from other ZMF owners on forums. ZMF may use stains, colorants, or leave the wood natural based on what we think will look best, and we cannot customize this upon request.

Over time the wood used in your ZMF will change and may darken or change appearance over time, and may change with exposure to heat, cold, damp, dry and a myriad of other possible conditions. Additionally, wood species will show defining characteristics that are innate to each type, cut and piece of wood. Mineral deposits, streaks, holes, knots, sap runs, wormholes and other characteristics are normal and can be expected. These markings are part of make your ZMF, and each piece of wood beautiful and unique."

We hope you'll grow to love the Auteur, and be proud of it. It is actually quite beautiful to us, and a unique piece is always worthy in the ZMF fandom. Meantime, keep your best tracks playing, and stay safe and well!

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #5,084 of 8,274
Thank you for this— Our crew works very hard to bring the best, like ZMF does to create headphones. However, wood is a natural material, and there will be variable results. The Salire should cheer you up a little and the Pilot Pad will relieve some of the pressure. We did make a note to ZMF as we always do with requests, and we do not always get what's requested because there is good reason (copying ZMF's verbiage here that we feel important to reiterate) :

"Regardless of the headphone ordered, all our products are made from solid wood, without laminates or veneer. No two pieces of wood are the same, and you should expect variance from the pictures you've seen both on the website, and from other ZMF owners on forums. ZMF may use stains, colorants, or leave the wood natural based on what we think will look best, and we cannot customize this upon request.

Over time the wood used in your ZMF will change and may darken or change appearance over time, and may change with exposure to heat, cold, damp, dry and a myriad of other possible conditions. Additionally, wood species will show defining characteristics that are innate to each type, cut and piece of wood. Mineral deposits, streaks, holes, knots, sap runs, wormholes and other characteristics are normal and can be expected. These markings are part of make your ZMF, and each piece of wood beautiful and unique."

We hope you'll grow to love the Auteur, and be proud of it. It is actually quite beautiful to us, and a unique piece is always worthy in the ZMF fandom. Meantime, keep your best tracks playing, and stay safe and well!

Hi Kristy, thanks for the response. Yes the Salire looks great with the Auteur and together it doesn't look as bad as before when it was just the headphones alone.
Hopefully it'll change/darken over time as mentioned and thanks for reaching out, will be great if i can drop by once we get back to the norm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back