ZMF Auteur Thread
Jun 12, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #5,056 of 8,279
That is right. The pictures I have seen on the dessert iron wood cans are quite „boring“, I recall that desert iron wood is quite an lively wood.
I would be interested in the olive wood (which is in Europe not that rare :wink:), which can have quite some variations. My understanding is that ZMF do not send photos of the cans prior to order/shipment. This is something which is very common when ordering custom made kitchen knifes, you can always chose exactly the piece of wood for your handle or you get pictures of the actual knife you are interested in.

Jun 12, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #5,058 of 8,279
I really would like to try thees magic ZMF cans.
But that is the reason why I would never buy a ZMF “blindly“, meaning without having a picture of the actual pair I will buy. They are way to expensive to be disappointed by a wood finish you did not expect or even dislike.

If you buy b-stock, stabilized wood runs, or used ZMFs, you will be able to see pictures of the exact headphones you'll be buying.

Jun 12, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #5,059 of 8,279
Yes, that is right, but the pre owned market is unfortunately quite thin.

Jun 13, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #5,060 of 8,279
Yes, that is right, but the pre owned market is unfortunately quite thin.
I can vouch, as an owner of the Auteur, that the likelihood of a voluntary sale of my Auteur is infinitesimal…

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #5,061 of 8,279
@Levanter who was the dealer?

Z&C, to be fair to them they have been great to deal with except for the spalting design part.

Zach also replied saying for purchases through dealer they are unable to help and any customer service should be with the dealer since ZMF is a separate business than them. I guess i'm stuck with my unit design.

On a side note, i find the pads really uncomfortable with pressure points at the back upper neck / below ear - jaw. Rotating the pads doesn't really help much either. Changing to the Eikon suede pads only helps a little. Anyone has any way to help with the comfort?
Among the few headphones i find comfortable are the HD800s, could be due to the light clamping + soft/shallow earpads.

Jun 14, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #5,062 of 8,279
Comfort issues can also be mitigated by adding a pilot or co-pilot pads.

Jun 14, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #5,063 of 8,279
Comfort issues can also be mitigated by adding a pilot or co-pilot pads.

my discomfort has nothing to do with the headband though? Mine is pressure points on the pads…

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #5,064 of 8,279
my discomfort has nothing to do with the headband though? Mine is pressure points on the pads…
You can adjust the headband so that the pads exert little pressure. My ZMFs are mostly adjusted in the headband so that the pads on the two cups don't even touch when being held from the center of the headband. The one pair that I haven't messed with enough to get this way do indeed touch and create more pressure than the others. If you haven't seen Zach's video about headband adjusting, it's on the ZMF Youtube page.

Jun 15, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #5,065 of 8,279
You can adjust the headband so that the pads exert little pressure. My ZMFs are mostly adjusted in the headband so that the pads on the two cups don't even touch when being held from the center of the headband. The one pair that I haven't messed with enough to get this way do indeed touch and create more pressure than the others. If you haven't seen Zach's video about headband adjusting, it's on the ZMF Youtube page.

Thanks, will give it a try. Generally i've never really liked wearing headphones since i live in a tropical country where the weather is hot 24/7. Only exception to me was the HD800S which was tolerable.

Jun 15, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #5,066 of 8,279
Thanks, will give it a try. Generally i've never really liked wearing headphones since i live in a tropical country where the weather is hot 24/7. Only exception to me was the HD800S which was tolerable.
Being in the tropics (19N here), the other thing that helps greatly is that I only use suede pads. Leather or even fake leather makes my face sweat quickly.

Jun 15, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #5,067 of 8,279
Being in the tropics (19N here), the other thing that helps greatly is that I only use suede pads. Leather or even fake leather makes my face sweat quickly.
same, no matter how much AC I turn on, leather pads are a no go for me

Jun 15, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #5,068 of 8,279

Unfortunately i prefer the default lambskin pads sound compared to the suede Eikon ones i have :sweat_smile:

Jun 15, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #5,070 of 8,279
same, no matter how much AC I turn on, leather pads are a no go for me
I always find this interesting, as I have had the complete opposite experience with pad material and hot weather. The suede pads are much hotter for me, compared to the leather. I feel the heat immediately when I put suede pads on, and it feels as if I put some fleece ear muffs on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back