ZMF Auteur Thread
Jun 7, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #5,026 of 8,282
Having had the Auteurs for a little over 6 months now, I haven't even so much as looked at a new pair since. They just handle everything I throw at them so well, I wouldn't even know where to go from here. Honestly I don't even find them all that comfortable (might have to do with my ear shape), but all I can say is bravo!
I love the Auteur: sound and comfort. What hp amplifier etc are you using? “Where to go from here” might include looking into tube hp amplifiers - particularly OTL (output transformer less) types.

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #5,027 of 8,282
You'll outgrow that feeling eventually. The sooner you get to that point, the more money you'll save. lol

The trick IMHO is to get something you're really happy with for yourself and then, instead of spending money upgrading, spend the money on going to meets like Canjam. There you can nerd out and hear all the cool stuff people are chatting about, make some friends, meet cool folks like Zach, then go back home to your comfortable gear. Flying out to a weekend in SoCal (or New York or whatever's close), getting a hotel for 2 nights, etc can be done for less than the price of a new headphone. With COVID restriction lifting, this is a real possibility again finally.

That said, I've been in love with the Auteur since I first heard it (and I've hear it many times). I've heard all of Zach's headphones, reviewed several of them formally, and the Auteur is my all time favorite ZMF. I'm not sure how he decides on the prices, but if he wants to sell my favorite headphone for less than others that I like less, I'm not going to complain. :smile: My point here is that just because the other headphones are more expensive, doesn't mean you're going to like them more. Might want to see if you can get ears on the other cans before deciding.

Auteur/Eikon I enjoy quite a lot more than the VC I have too. the VC is more detailed, 3D, but I find that the former two have a bigger stage, warmer and more meat in the mids. idk if thats what the FR curve suggests but thats what I am hearing and preference.

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #5,028 of 8,282
Agree, Auteur is the only over-ear head-phone that's put the brakes on my itch to upgrade. Comfort can be adjusted with pilot pad and similar, and there ares some videos floating about for adjusting fit with gentle bending of the headband. Enjoy!

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #5,029 of 8,282
Just received my ZMF Auteur after around 2.5 months order through ZMF authorized dealer and i'm sad... The spalting design wasn't what i requested for and i received the wrong cable as well!! I requested for a 4.4mm but received a 6.3mm & XLR.
I have the headphones with me now but i can't even use it :triportsad:

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #5,030 of 8,282
Just received my ZMF Auteur after around 2.5 months order through ZMF authorized dealer and i'm sad... The spalting design wasn't what i requested for and i received the wrong cable as well!! I requested for a 4.4mm but received a 6.3mm & XLR.
I have the headphones with me now but i can't even use it :triportsad:

It sounds like an order mix up. I would contact them; every instance of customer service I've had from ZMF has been top notch. I'm sure they'll fix it fast and get you smiling again.

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #5,031 of 8,282
It sounds like an order mix up. I would contact them; every instance of customer service I've had from ZMF has been top notch. I'm sure they'll fix it fast and get you smiling again.
He said it was through an Authorized dealer, so more than likely a mix up on their part.

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #5,032 of 8,282

I ordered through their dealer, so i don't think ZMF will deal directly with me...
The dealer did say they will send me a 4.4mm cable asap, however nothing can be done with the design though since ZMF doesn't entertain design request through their dealers...

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #5,033 of 8,282
I ordered through their dealer, so i don't think ZMF will deal directly with me...
The dealer did say they will send me a 4.4mm cable asap, however nothing can be done with the design though since ZMF doesn't entertain design request through their dealers...
Show us a pic of it? I’m curious. Why do you not like what it looks like?

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #5,034 of 8,282
This was what I received:
BD61-A95-D-C319-43-CC-9127-5-E54-F33099-E2.jpg

This was what I requested:
F7-C904-C5-A402-4-F1-A-95-E3-B89887-DA9-BEE.jpg

I was looking for a similar splating design, however that 1 vertical coloured strip is entirely different from what I requested 😢

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #5,035 of 8,282
You'd be surprised how supportive Zach is. I've reached out to him about ZMFs purchased used/2nd hand, and he still went out of his way to help me, and at times with minimal/no charge. Can't hurt to email him.

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #5,036 of 8,282
You'd be surprised how supportive Zach is. I've reached out to him about ZMFs purchased used/2nd hand, and he still went out of his way to help me, and at times with minimal/no charge. Can't hurt to email him.

Changing the entire wooden cups? Probably possible by paying extra cost & additional lead time of God knows how long :sweat_smile:

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #5,037 of 8,282
Anyone else thinks the wooden cups vertical strip pattern/placing looks hideous compared to all other beautiful Auteur pics posted so far? :disappointed_relieved:

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #5,038 of 8,282
Changing the entire wooden cups? Probably possible by paying extra cost & additional lead time of God knows how long :sweat_smile:
Probably not, unfortunately. Did the dealer say they could get you a pair similar enough to your request? Any chance you can exchange them for a different pair? Sorry for the disappointment, that's not fun for sure.

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #5,039 of 8,282
Anyone else thinks the wooden cups vertical strip pattern/placing looks hideous compared to all other beautiful Auteur pics posted so far? :disappointed_relieved:
Call me crazy but I like that stripe. I like the uniqueness of it, it's very striking. I do think the pair requested look better though, I'm with you.

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #5,040 of 8,282
Probably not, unfortunately. Did the dealer say they could get you a pair similar enough to your request? Any chance you can exchange them for a different pair? Sorry for the disappointment, that's not fun for sure.

They mentioned they will add a note in their order to ZMF on the design request, and i followed up with them a few times. But yea you can see what happened lol. The dealer did mention this happens quite a number of times through their orders...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back