ZMF Auteur Thread
Apr 28, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #4,877 of 8,274
Any cable is fine. The stock cable is good enough.
I agree with this which surprises me, considering how much Auteur sound can move around with different amps.

I will say that I slightly prefer them with a silver cable, but that's a 'flavor preference' not about better/worse.

Apr 28, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #4,878 of 8,274
Which cable is best for Auteur?

copper
Silver
OCC
UPOCC
Entirely dependent on the sight tweak you'd want to make, as to whether you'd like it brighter, darker, more expansive, smoother, etc.

And dependent on the specific cable within that.

All that with a re-emphasis on the tweak not being massive, though that also depends on the transparency of your chain, i.e. source/dac/amp.

Think about what part of the sound you'd like to tweak and go from there.

Apr 28, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #4,879 of 8,274
After listening to the Auteur for a few hours - just wonderful.
I rediscover my favorite albums.
Beautiful match with my (modded) Darkvoice.

IMG_1458.jpg

Apr 28, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #4,880 of 8,274
Which cable is best for Auteur?

copper
Silver
OCC
UPOCC
Depends on preferences and the other gear in the chain.
Entirely dependent on the sight tweak you'd want to make, as to whether you'd like it brighter, darker, more expansive, smoother, etc.

And dependent on the specific cable within that.

All that with a re-emphasis on the tweak not being massive, though that also depends on the transparency of your chain, i.e. source/dac/amp.

Think about what part of the sound you'd like to tweak and go from there.
I concur.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #4,881 of 8,274
No, I definitely wouldn't remove the filter. Interesting and illustrates how individual our preferences are. I don't hear Auteur as veiled or dark at all, and wouldn't want treble any more extended. Glad you found a way to mod to your preferred sound, though. :L3000:
I may decide to screw back the filter since it offers more protection of the drivers. I thought it was a bit darker than I like initially, but whether through burn in, getting used to the sound, or removing the Bopp filter, it’s more acceptable now. From what I gather there are Bopp filter meshes that are acoustically transparent. So it may have been a placebo effect to removing it. 😆

Apr 29, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #4,882 of 8,274
I may decide to screw back the filter since it offers more protection of the drivers. I thought it was a bit darker than I like initially, but whether through burn in, getting used to the sound, or removing the Bopp filter, it’s more acceptable now. From what I gather there are Bopp filter meshes that are acoustically transparent. So it may have been a placebo effect to removing it. 😆
I could be wrong here, but I think I remember Zach saying the bopp filter quells the highs a touch, so not 100% transparent.

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #4,884 of 8,274
Such a lovely combo, I really love how these two sound and look. The Pendant SE has made me fall in love all over again with My Auteur.

Attachments

• 679B97A7-5512-4908-81F9-3F8559165683.jpeg
    679B97A7-5512-4908-81F9-3F8559165683.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 29, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #4,885 of 8,274
Three days ago, I received an email that my Auteurs were moving on to the assembly phase, which would take 1-2 weeks, followed by some time in QC. I just received another email that they're already on their way! This is a fantastic little surprise. I can't wait for them to get here. When I placed the order, I figured I would go with the base shipping since I'd already be waiting quite a while for them. Now that they're on their way, I reeeally wish I had upgraded to expedited hahaha. I'm so excited to join the Auteur brigade!

Apr 29, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #4,886 of 8,274
Three days ago, I received an email that my Auteurs were moving on to the assembly phase, which would take 1-2 weeks, followed by some time in QC. I just received another email that they're already on their way! This is a fantastic little surprise. I can't wait for them to get here. When I placed the order, I figured I would go with the base shipping since I'd already be waiting quite a while for them. Now that they're on their way, I reeeally wish I had upgraded to expedited hahaha. I'm so excited to join the Auteur brigade!
Having ordered 2 ZMFs now, I know better than to go with base shipping.

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #4,887 of 8,274
That's probably because Zach has admitted he's not the best at updating his spreadsheet which is fine by me since his work is outstanding. It does make for some happy little surprises though.

May 1, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #4,889 of 8,274
So I know ZMF recommends the Mohawk Penthouse Polish for taking care of the wood, but has anyone outside the US found a suitable substitute?
I literally asked Zach directly this question of similar nature, I hope he doesn't mind me sharing

"I have watched your video recommending the Mohawk penthouse and in Hong Kong I have reached out to distributor here they don’t have that and only have the Mohawk Bristol cream polish M810-2004. Would this one work? If not are there any other polishes you can recommend please?"

From Zach "I do think the Bristol Cream polish would work OK, and we don't want to exclaim that the Penthouse is the only one that will work, just that we have used it and know it works well! I believe we have used the other cream polishes from Mohawk and they are OK, but other guitar cleaners will work well too, like the martin guitar polish.

So my take is a lot of guitar cleaners would work too. Hope it helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back