ZMF Auteur Thread
Jan 16, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #3,661 of 8,272
FM is available on several of their compilation releases. I downloaded it and tacked it on to the AJA song list.

Jan 18, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #3,662 of 8,272
My Auteur arrived, so I have been busy listening and when not, starting on burning them in. I'm impressed with the appearance, build quality, and most importantly the sound. I've not swapped out pads yet, I think that I will stick to the Auteur pads till they have more hours on them. It's too early to give impressions other than to say I am having fun with them!

Sorry that the pictures are not better, they do not really capture how nice they are.
Auteur7a.jpg
Auteur10a.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #3,663 of 8,272
Oh I meant to ask you guys, as you can see from the pics, I am using the stock cables (XLR). For those that have listened using these and other cables, have you heard any demonstrable difference?

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #3,664 of 8,272
Oh I meant to ask you guys, as you can see from the pics, I am using the stock cables (XLR). For those that have listened using these and other cables, have you heard any demonstrable difference?
I did compare the stock cable to the 2K that Zach offers. With the stock details were there but I had to put a bit more effort to notice them. Sound was very nice but left that "something is still lacking" feeling. Put in the 2K cable and the feeling went away. Rather than focus on the differences I actually started focusing on the music. It drew me in since the first track. The wire difference might be 15-20% tecnically but the enjoyment factor we humans perceive is exponential lol (emotional conditioning, expectance, new toy syndrome etc).
I think cables are the cherry on the cake and contribute to that last bit of enjoyment on one's system :)

Jan 18, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #3,665 of 8,272
Congrats on your Auteur, it looks beautiful indeed! I am using a Norne Silvergarde S3 with mine and definitely feel it offers overall improvement, agree probably in 10-15% range.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #3,666 of 8,272
I did compare the stock cable to the 2K that Zach offers. With the stock details were there but I had to put a bit more effort to notice them. Sound was very nice but left that "something is still lacking" feeling. Put in the 2K cable and the feeling went away. Rather than focus on the differences I actually started focusing on the music. It drew me in since the first track. The wire difference might be 15-20% tecnically but the enjoyment factor we humans perceive is exponential lol (emotional conditioning, expectance, new toy syndrome etc).
I think cables are the cherry on the cake and contribute to that last bit of enjoyment on one's system :)
+1 on the 2k cable being a great match for the Auteurs. The stock cable is good but the 2k cable brings out the best of what the Auteurs has to offer. The sound is more detailed, the Auteurs opens up and gains more soundstage, and there’s more depth to the music. Oh, did I mention the bass gets tighter and the mids get more liquid sounding. I think the sound improvements from the 2k cable are worth it and will get you the emotional experience you are seeking.

Jan 18, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #3,667 of 8,272
I've used mine with their stock cable, as well as with the stock Meze Empyrian cables, Nordost Heimdall 2 headphone cable, and Cardas Clear headphone cable. They sound identifiably different with each. I try to be mindful of my subjective sonic comments viz. products I sell. Let me just say that I purchased these cables with my own money, and find that cables matter in a resolving, high-performance system. Regarding price/performance ratios, etc. YMMV.

All that said. Love me some Auteur

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #3,668 of 8,272
My Auteur arrived, so I have been busy listening and when not, starting on burning them in. I'm impressed with the appearance, build quality, and most importantly the sound. I've not swapped out pads yet, I think that I will stick to the Auteur pads till they have more hours on them. It's too early to give impressions other than to say I am having fun with them!

Sorry that the pictures are not better, they do not really capture how nice they are.

That coco Auteur is very pretty, indeed...

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #3,669 of 8,272
To my ears, cables do matter. That said, I can’t point to my favorite cable for my Blackwood Auteur. I hear the sound change character noticeably when I go from Lazuli Reference to Silver Dragon. In fact, I hear the Auteur change more with different elements in my chain than any of my other headphones.

Denafrips Pontus ==> LP/Siemens CCa ==> Lazuli Reference ==> Auteur
A2 Gumby ==> LP/Brimar CV-2492 (or DSHA-3F) ==> Silver Dragon ==> Auteur

I wouldn’t say they sound like two completely different cans, but the difference is pretty striking. And I like both.

BTW, your Auteur are gorgeous!

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #3,670 of 8,272
Thanks for all the input on cables guys, it is very helpful. I am having such a great time listening to tunes on these headphones. I was a bit anxious before receiving them about whether I would have buyer's remorse given the price differential between these and my HD6XX's. Even though they are still in early break-in, I already can answer that I don't have any at all. It's a big leap on all fronts. Here's a sample of what I'm listening to:

Jan 18, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #3,671 of 8,272
Thanks for all the input on cables guys, it is very helpful. I am having such a great time listening to tunes on these headphones. I was a bit anxious before receiving them about whether I would have buyer's remorse given the price differential between these and my HD6XX's. Even though they are still in early break-in, I already can answer that I don't have any at all. It's a big leap on all fronts. Here's a sample of what I'm listening to:

I haven’t heard the Camila Cabello album yet. Thanks for the recommendation and you’re right the Auteurs are fantastic sounding headphones.:L3000:

The first three selections you’ve listed I have
and I digress by saying Donny was a great artist but was deeply troubled. I miss him dearly!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #3,672 of 8,272
I haven’t heard the Camila Cabello album yet. Thanks for the recommendation and you’re right the Auteurs are fantastic sounding headphones.:L3000:

The first three selections you’ve listed I have
and I digress by saying Donny was a great artist but was deeply troubled. I miss him dearly!
I've been surprised how much much I like some of the tracks from the newest Camila Cabello album.

Yes, many of the best go too young in tragic ways, and Donny was certainly one of them.

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #3,673 of 8,272
Hey guys,

Thinking about giving the Auteur another shot - I originally had the Teak Auteur which I loved a bunch but I don't think I saw it to its full potential. I enjoyed the extra treble with the Auteur pads but I felt the mids were not as forward as I like. I had it paired with a Dragon Inspire IHA-1 which looking back may not have been the best pairing. I like mids that are as forward or similar to the HD650 or Atticus. Are the limited edition woods better in this regard? I know Teak was more tilted towards treble. Is there an amp combination that you guys find brings out the mids more without affecting the treble too much?

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #3,674 of 8,272
Hey guys,

Thinking about giving the Auteur another shot - I originally had the Teak Auteur which I loved a bunch but I don't think I saw it to its full potential. I enjoyed the extra treble with the Auteur pads but I felt the mids were not as forward as I like. I had it paired with a Dragon Inspire IHA-1 which looking back may not have been the best pairing. I like mids that are as forward or similar to the HD650 or Atticus. Are the limited edition woods better in this regard? I know Teak was more tilted towards treble. Is there an amp combination that you guys find brings out the mids more without affecting the treble too much?

l really enjoy the Eikon perforated pads which bumps the mids forward and gives it a warmer/dense sound signature. Reminds me of the HD650 just with a bit more treble. The Auteur pads make them more neutral. If you can grab a pair of Blackwoods I think you’d enjoy it more than the Teaks.

I find myself listening to the Auteurs more now a days than the Verite. The tone of the Blackwood is just beautiful.

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #3,675 of 8,272
l really enjoy the Eikon perforated pads which bumps the mids forward and gives it a warmer/dense sound signature. Reminds me of the HD650 just with a bit more treble. The Auteur pads make them more neutral. If you can grab a pair of Blackwoods I think you’d enjoy it more than the Teaks.

I find myself listening to the Auteurs more now a days than the Verite. The tone of the Blackwood is just beautiful.

I've heard this recommendation from numerous people - there's someone on the forum selling them for $1400. I might snag one up. Are the Eikon perforated one of the sets that come with the Auteur or is that a separate purchase? You're talking about the lambskin right?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back