ZMF Auteur Thread
May 14, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #3,106 of 8,272
I was replying to the other user about the verite, since he suggested it is much faster than the auteur and thus much better suited for metal genres

I listen to some pretty fast stuff, Ministry,Motorhead, Immortal,Parasite Inc. to name but a few,and I do not find the Auteur "too slow" in the least.
I used to own the Atticus which I adored,but that headphone I did find that the midbass got in the way for overly fast metal.

Is the Verite faster? Yes. But I enjoy the hell out of the Auteur,not only for metal,but pretty much every other genre as well.

Ive never heard the Ether Flow so i cant comment,but I have heard other Mr.Speakers headphones,and obviously by looking at my collection,I prefer the ZMF house sound over Mr.Speakers.
YMMV.

May 14, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #3,107 of 8,272
I listen to some pretty fast stuff, Ministry,Motorhead, Immortal,Parasite Inc. to name but a few,and I do not find the Auteur "too slow" in the least.
I used to own the Atticus which I adored,but that headphone I did find that the midbass got in the way for overly fast metal.

Is the Verite faster? Yes. But I enjoy the hell out of the Auteur,not only for metal,but pretty much every other genre as well.

Ive never heard the Ether Flow so i cant comment,but I have heard other Mr.Speakers headphones,and obviously by looking at my collection,I prefer the ZMF house sound over Mr.Speakers.
YMMV.

Thats good to know, hearing is so subjective sometimes its tough to know to what extent one person hears something over someone else. Thats why I like asking a lot of specific questions and see what the general response is.

Anyways thanks for the help again! Time to look up some auteur vs ether c flow 1.1 comparisons.

May 14, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #3,108 of 8,272
Thats good to know, hearing is so subjective sometimes its tough to know to what extent one person hears something over someone else. Thats why I like asking a lot of specific questions and see what the general response is.

Anyways thanks for the help again! Time to look up some auteur vs ether c flow 1.1 comparisons.

I'll add to this.

When I owned the Auteur Teaks they felt slow out of specific configurations when playing very fast music. Groups/artists like The Prodigy, Hylen, Noisestorm felt like they just needed more speed from my OTL or Liquid Platinum. Out of a borrowed fast solid state like the Jotunheim it was much faster but I personally enjoy the tonality and timbre out of tube amps more. I think you'll be fine with the Violectric from what I read. Also, Zach mentioned that the heavier the wood the faster the headphone is to a certain extent.

The Verite is just stupid fast.

May 14, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #3,109 of 8,272
I'll add to this.

When I owned the Auteur Teaks they felt slow out of specific configurations when playing very fast music. Groups/artists like The Prodigy, Hylen, Noisestorm felt like they just needed more speed from my OTL or Liquid Platinum. Out of a borrowed fast solid state like the Jotunheim it was much faster but I personally enjoy the tonality and timbre out of tube amps more. I think you'll be fine with the Violectric from what I read. Also, Zach mentioned that the heavier the wood the faster the headphone is to a certain extent.

The Verite is just stupid fast.

Yeah I expected the verite to be faster overall no matter what, but at that price point we're talking about one notch up in headphone perfirmance overall from other brands too. I just try to get the best I can within that 1600 dollar price point.

I prefer solid state overall, so tubes affecting speed won't be an issue at all since there wont be any lol. I guess that implies the auteur drivers can be affected by the amp type quite a bit in regards to speed at least?

May 15, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #3,111 of 8,272
What's a normal amount of time per day to stare at Zach's order spreadsheets? And at what point does it become an addiction? Asking for a friend :grin:

I’m sorry to say this, but if you have to ask, you too are an addict!

May 15, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #3,112 of 8,272
Could anyone perhaps give their impressions of how the Auteurs pair with the ZMF Pendant? I have a bottlehead mainline and, while I really like it, I can't help but wonder about the ZMF... I find myself wanting a bit more romance in my amp but worry about sacrificing speed.

May 15, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #3,114 of 8,272
I suppose there's worse things to be addicted to haha. Well... it's about that time to check up on that spreadsheet again...

I'm on that list too! Checking 2x a day to not drive myself insane :beerchug:

May 17, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #3,115 of 8,272
Hey folks, trying to decide if I should get an additional set of pafs before my Auteur ships out.

From what I understand, the list order below starts from most neutral to bass-heaviest (it seems mid-bass is most affected?), while also reducing soundstage and clarity/forwardness of mids as you go further down:

1. Auteur perf lambskin
2. Auteur perf suede
3. Eikon perf suede
4. Eikon perf lambskin
5. Eikon solid lambskin

I know it might not be that straightforward but it might be an approximation? I haven't even listened to the Auteur tbh but figure I'd try to have a 3rd pair of pads for added flexibility.

In general if anything I would like a set that might potentially increase sub-bass presence without affecting the clarity and forwardness of vocals, and with minimal reduction of soundstage.

I know @zach915m generally recommends the Eikon perf suede as an additional option so that could be the default 3rd set.

Any input helps, thanks!

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #3,116 of 8,272
Hey folks, trying to decide if I should get an additional set of pafs before my Auteur ships out.

From what I understand, the list order below starts from most neutral to bass-heaviest (it seems mid-bass is most affected?), while also reducing soundstage and clarity/forwardness of mids as you go further down:

1. Auteur perf lambskin
2. Auteur perf suede
3. Eikon perf suede
4. Eikon perf lambskin
5. Eikon solid lambskin

I know it might not be that straightforward but it might be an approximation? I haven't even listened to the Auteur tbh but figure I'd try to have a 3rd pair of pads for added flexibility.

In general if anything I would like a set that might potentially increase sub-bass presence without affecting the clarity and forwardness of vocals, and with minimal reduction of soundstage.

I know @zach915m generally recommends the Eikon perf suede as an additional option so that could be the default 3rd set.

Any input helps, thanks!

I had 1 on my Auteurs at first, then switched to 4. While I agree with your relative placement on this list, the difference was fairly minor for me, falling into the just-noticeable-without-concentrating category. The Eikon perf pads did exactly what you are asking for: the sub-bass goes up, the mids and vocals are not noticeably affected, and the soundstage is just a touch smaller (small enough of a difference that I may be imagining it). For me, that small difference was enough to elevate the headphones to one of my absolute favorites.

May 17, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #3,117 of 8,272

YMMV.

Hello! Don’t mind could u share some thoughts on the Auteur vs Aeolus? Thanks!

Looking for detail, warmish tone (similar to HD650) and if possible speed

Currently dislike the dark and laidback sounding of my LCD X despite it having speed and detail

Is the Auteur or Aeolus more “in your face”?

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #3,118 of 8,272
May 17, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #3,119 of 8,272
I had 1 on my Auteurs at first, then switched to 4. While I agree with your relative placement on this list, the difference was fairly minor for me, falling into the just-noticeable-without-concentrating category. The Eikon perf pads did exactly what you are asking for: the sub-bass goes up, the mids and vocals are not noticeably affected, and the soundstage is just a touch smaller (small enough of a difference that I may be imagining it). For me, that small difference was enough to elevate the headphones to one of my absolute favorites.
Awesome, thanks! :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #3,120 of 8,272
Hello! Don’t mind could u share some thoughts on the Auteur vs Aeolus? Thanks!

Looking for detail, warmish tone (similar to HD650) and if possible speed

Currently dislike the dark and laidback sounding of my LCD X despite it having speed and detail

Is the Auteur or Aeolus more “in your face”?

Its been awhile since I had the Aeolus on loan,and Ive never heard the LCD-X,so im not sure how much help I would be.

The Aeolus reminded me more of a HD650 than the Auteur does.

It also depends a lot IMO on how much value you place on mid bass slam. If you love tremendous slam,the Aeolus beats out the Auteur in that regard. The Auteur still has slam,more if you swap pads,but the Aeolus/Atticus driver brings the slam like no other.

I fell in love with the Verite,and chose the Auteur because it was more of a contrasting sound to the Verite vs. Aeolus,plus I already owned the Atticus and was looking for something different sounding.

Frankly you cant go wrong with either really,but you might want to get opinions on how the Aeolus performs with your amp. The general consensus seems to be that the Atticus/Aeolus driver is more amp picky vs. Auteur driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back