ZMF Auteur Thread
Sep 3, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #2,311 of 8,282
Hehe, beautiful the Auteur is, that’s for sure. And as for dark, I don’t consider the Elear or the LCD-3 ‘dark’, with just about the right amount of bass (I could live with a touch more of I were honest, but I’m getting used to them now), and a perfect amount of treble that is full of air and edge yet steers well short of Beyer brain dagger levels.

Then again they’re what most around here consider ‘dark’, as you say, so my taste (or hearing) is almost certainly skewed.

Well, looking at their FR curve, they look a bit loud from 100hz-1khz, and quiet from 1.5khz-10khz, roughly, when compared to Harman neutral, and they have a huge treble rolloff for true neutral. That would make 'em a mid-centric dark--though possibly enjoyable, depending on taste--by any measure. I'd imagine they are great for anything that isn't too crowded--so indie, jazz, most classical, etc. They probably don't resolve cymbals and the treble bit of a guitar too well, though. They most likely sound fairly clear, as a lot of "noise" pops up in the higher ranges. I bet they are very pleasant. I still prefer a brighter can for rock, and listen to enough rock that I generally just prefer brighter cans.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #2,312 of 8,282
I’ll apologize in advance b/c I know this thread isn’t about the look of other cans but I would even go so far as to say the 800s is an ugly set. They have cleats put thought into it at least and it’s probably more of a personal preference for me, but I’ve hated the 800s ever since I first saw pics. Give me exotic wood and hand made craftsmanship literally any day

Absolutely. I feel like, if you're buying a pricey, high end product, it should feel high end--and classy.

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #2,313 of 8,282
Does anyone utilize the parametric EQ in Roon with the Auteurs? I have them flat but I've always been curious if there are ways to help out any mechanical deficiencies in the headphones to make them more flat, or more fun sounding depending on the mood.

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #2,314 of 8,282
Does anyone utilize the parametric EQ in Roon with the Auteurs? I have them flat but I've always been curious if there are ways to help out any mechanical deficiencies in the headphones to make them more flat, or more fun sounding depending on the mood.

I'm sure someone has. I'm running Truefi for my HE400i. It purports that it offers a flat frequency response with high-Q equalization for certain headphones it supports. I believe it does--it sounds like a clearer, cleaner version of my own attempts at flat on the same cans. The sound they produce with a flat FR...wow it's nice.

You can get them to custom-calibrate your headphones, if they aren't supported--e.g. stax or Auteurs.

Sep 5, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #2,315 of 8,282
Just ordered the Auteur (and Atticus)! Really enjoyed listening to it at my local distributor off a Chord DAVE, and I’m thinking these two headphone purchases will be it for me. (Famous last words, I know).

Edit: Also, I didn’t get one myself, but Bocote Auteurs are a thing :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #2,316 of 8,282
I have Atticus headphones and love them on my Black Widow and digital source. For my Analog Squared Paper TU-05 tube amp and vinyl source I'd like to get something more revealing. I've tried several headphones on the latter system but I still like Atticus there the best. For me the HD800S sounds thin and uninvolving and the tone doesn't sound right. I should probably stick with ZMF and I'm considering either the Auteur or Eikon. I'm leaning toward the Auteur since I've read that it's kind of an enhanced version of the Eikon. Could anyone help guide me between these?

If I go Auteur I also need to decide between the woods. There is a great teak vs blackwood comparison here:

http://earphiles.org/2017/12/zmf-auteur-review/

I would definitely go for blackwood based on that but not sure if that carries over to the currently-available cocobolo.

Sep 6, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #2,317 of 8,282
If I go Auteur I also need to decide between the woods. There is a great teak vs blackwood comparison here:

http://earphiles.org/2017/12/zmf-auteur-review/

I would definitely go for blackwood based on that but not sure if that carries over to the currently-available cocobolo.

For all intensive purposes the Cocobolo will sound just about like Blackwood. Blackwood is denser and if you're really splitting hairs it may be a touch quicker, but these are both extremely dense hardwoods so, we'd be getting into an argument about whether it's placebo or not.

Of note - I do have one Blackwood/Brass set left that is new/unused if anyone has their mind set on Blackwood. PM me or email me at contactzmf@gmail.com if interested.

IMG_5911sm.jpg

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 6, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #2,319 of 8,282
Which is more romantic? Auteur or Eikon? :)

If by romantic, you mean that it has a more lush, natural ease to the midrange, than Auteur for sure. Opening up the cups takes away some of the sense of “hardness” that people sometimes hear due to cup reflections. Open designs tend to sound more easy and natural, so it’s certainly easier for them to come off as romantic sounding.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #2,321 of 8,282
What does the Eikon do better than the Auteur?

It has some isolation, which can make a big difference depending on your listening environment. And because it is mostly closed, it has more subbass. Auteur is the better sounding headphone overall though, if you're not going for isolation or the subbass boost.

Sep 7, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #2,322 of 8,282
spent my DAC/amp upgrade money and ordered a silkwood based on y'all comments... wish me luck:smiley:

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #2,323 of 8,282
What does the Eikon do better than the Auteur?

It has some isolation, which can make a big difference depending on your listening environment. And because it is mostly closed, it has more subbass. Auteur is the better sounding headphone overall though, if you're not going for isolation or the subbass boost.

Basically agree with all of this. When I auditioned both, my thought process was:
1. Given that I already have an HD800s, if I had to pick one headphone, it’d be the Eikon, but...
2. If I didn’t have any headphones (or was simply looking to upgrade) and had to pick one, it’d be the Auteur.
While I have not yet tried the Atticus, I’ve read that it’s more fun sounding than the Eikon, so I figured the best option if getting two headphones from Zach would be the Auteur and Atticus.

Sep 7, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #2,324 of 8,282
Couldn't scrape together the $ for new (sorry Zach, but speeding tickets for 82 in a 55 are expensive - my fault). I did manage to snag a gently used pair, and they do sound amazing! I prefer the Eikon pads.

IMG_20180907_124453.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back