ZMF Auteur Thread
Sep 3, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #2,296 of 8,271
After seeing this, and a number of other folks making similar comparisons/conclusions, I’m starting to think I need the Auteurs in my life. My end goal is 2 complementary full size cans for my house setup, and I’m already pretty sold on the Ori as one. I was thinking 650s (maybe 800s) but I’m really starting to rethink that.
Damn it... I wish there were more meets in CT
Can highly recommend a Ori and Auteur combination, you can really tailor the Auteur in sound whether it's with different pads or different types of amplifiers, with a really good tube amp and Eikon or suede pads it will move towards a HD 650 signature but better in almost all aspects, and with a very good SS amp and the standard Auteur pads it will be very close to the HD 800(s) in terms of detail yet more musical. The Ori just likes a juicy SS and is more of a toe-tapping, very fun headphone with incredible PRAT.

Sep 3, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #2,297 of 8,271
Now with the Auteur, Atticus and hd800s I think I got all genres covered but I'm curious about the eikons nice subbass. You think it's worth picking one up? I think I probably don't need it given I have the Auteur. Also I love the Atticus bass slam and decent subbass.

Argh. I'm so poor now !!! :p

Depends on where you live of course, but trying one is your best option (duh). Unfortunately there aren't always local meets.

Head-Fiers need to unite reigonally to help each other out. L!

Sep 3, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #2,298 of 8,271
Can highly recommend a Ori and Auteur combination, you can really tailor the Auteur in sound whether it's with different pads or different types of amplifiers, with a really good tube amp and Eikon or suede pads it will move towards a HD 650 signature but better in almost all aspects, and with a very good SS amp and the standard Auteur pads it will be very close to the HD 800(s) in terms of detail yet more musical. The Ori just likes a juicy SS and is more of a toe-tapping, very fun headphone with incredible PRAT.

Couple questions... have you heard the Atticus or Eikon? How do they compare to the Ori? Especially the atticus which I am guessing is similar but more fun and powerful?

Have you or anyone ran the auteur with either solid auteur or Eikon pads? To make it a basshead headphone or somewhat similar to the Eikon?

Sep 3, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #2,299 of 8,271
Depends on where you live of course, but trying one is your best option (duh). Unfortunately there aren't always local meets.

Head-Fiers need to unite reigonally to help each other out. L!

That would be ideal! But I don't think anyone near me has the Eikon.

Sep 3, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #2,300 of 8,271
"The 3rd Set
There is a third set that does not come with the Auteur at all, but that does come with the Eikon. This set is solid and has no perforations. Do you like slow beats, Synthwave or bass beat tracks that are meant for relaxing and maybe school/work background noise? That immensely deep reaching low-end experience? Well, congrats, the Auteur with the solid pads is a bass monstrosity and we don’t really have another like it in the Hifi Summit zone that I am aware of.

This headphone is a chameleon. If you want more bass and less treble, solid pads for you. Yes, it veils the mids and treble but as I said, “certain applications” sound better with the Eikon solid pads. For me, as a seriously sick bass enthusiast, I want a Hifi Summit level headphone with exceptional bass potency. Now, I finally have it."

https://headfonics.com/2018/02/zmf-auteur-review/

I just wonder how it compares to Eikon when it has Eikon solid pads on.

Sep 3, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #2,301 of 8,271
Couple questions... have you heard the Atticus or Eikon? How do they compare to the Ori? Especially the atticus which I am guessing is similar but more fun and powerful?

Have you or anyone ran the auteur with either solid auteur or Eikon pads? To make it a basshead headphone or somewhat similar to the Eikon?

Heard neither, but the Ori with cowleather has tons of bass to the point that it is too much even for me. (a fellow bass head) Best thing is that it’s a good ol’ orthodynamic so the bass stays crystal clear and has such an amazing kick to it, very impactful and spacious, seriously impressive and realistic in a sense. I recently bought some of the normal lamb leather pads too for a more balanced experience but I haven’t tested them yet.

As for the rest of the sound it’s rather balanced but rounded off with a very easy going sound while maintaining plenty of detail and an incredible spacey soundstage for closed cups. I’ve yet to find a headphone that presents music this nicely.

As for the Auteur I found the perf Auteur pads a bit lackluster for some proper bass, very clean and every bass line can be heard yet the subbass doesn’t extend as deep as some other headphones I’ve heard, although suede and the Eikon pads fix most of it, it’s not as deep as the Ori but certainly very satisfying,

I spend most of the time with the perf suede pads lately since I’ve tried them the last 2 weeks as a change from the perf Auteur pads I normally use. They offer a nice trade off, subduing the sometimes sharp treble a tiny bit in exchange for some of the airy-ness but not too much, also the bass hits a bit harder and deeper with them.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #2,302 of 8,271
Why, why, why can't stax look this incredible? Why did I buy fabulous-sounding trashcans for your head?

Sep 3, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #2,303 of 8,271
Heard neither, but the Ori with cowleather has tons of bass to the point that it is too much even for me. (a fellow bass head) Best thing is that it’s a good ol’ orthodynamic so the bass stays crystal clear and has such an amazing kick to it, very impactful and spacious, seriously impressive and realistic in a sense. I recently bought some of the normal lamb leather pads too for a more balanced experience but I haven’t tested them yet.

As for the rest of the sound it’s rather balanced but rounded off with a very easy going sound while maintaining plenty of detail and an incredible spacey soundstage for closed cups. I’ve yet to find a headphone that presents music this nicely.

As for the Auteur I found the perf Auteur pads a bit lackluster for some proper bass, very clean and every bass line can be heard yet the subbass doesn’t extend as deep as some other headphones I’ve heard, although suede and the Eikon pads fix most of it, it’s not as deep as the Ori but certainly very satisfying,

I spend most of the time with the perf suede pads lately since I’ve tried them the last 2 weeks as a change from the perf Auteur pads I normally use. They offer a nice trade off, subduing the sometimes sharp treble a tiny bit in exchange for some of the airy-ness but not too much, also the bass hits a bit harder and deeper with them.

Please please try Atticus even once. You will not be disappointed.

Sep 3, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #2,304 of 8,271
Why, why, why can't stax look this incredible? Why did I buy fabulous-sounding trashcans for your head?
Good question. For me a headphone is a whole package. If it looks like a Stax I won’t touch it, no matter how good it sounds. Same goes for Abyss. And for the record I don’t like the Stax sound compared to any of the ZMFs, and especially not the Auteur. Personal preference I guess. Helps that the Auteur makes Stax look like it was tooled in somebody’s scrapyard :wink:

PS. You’d think for a company that purportedly knows a thing or two about audio they could hire an industrial designer. It’s not rocket science.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #2,305 of 8,271
Good question. For me a headphone is a whole package. If it looks like a Stax I won’t touch it, no matter how good it sounds. Same goes for Abyss. And for the record I don’t like the Stax sound compared to any of the ZMFs, and especially not the Auteur. Personal preference I guess. Helps that the Auteur makes Stax look like it was tooled in somebody’s scrapyard :wink:

PS. You’d think for a company that purportedly knows a thing or two about audio they could hire an industrial designer. It’s not rocket science.

My philosophy: I have two cans that look pretty good (ATH-MSR7, HE400i) and I can show those off to my friends if I want, but at the end of the day, it's nice to just sit back with a beverage of choice and fade into the music. We'll see if I regret the purchase lol. I could always resell the Stax if I end up disliking the sound. I'm rather partial to planars, but the Eikon look like they have a less...ear-rpey frequency response. I wonder if I could talk someone into letting me audition theirs.....maybe do a shootout with the Stax while I'm at it.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #2,306 of 8,271
My philosophy: I have two cans that look pretty good (ATH-MSR7, HE400i) and I can show those off to my friends if I want, but at the end of the day, it's nice to just sit back with a beverage of choice and fade into the music. We'll see if I regret the purchase lol. I could always resell the Stax if I end up disliking the sound. I'm rather partial to planars, but the Eikon look like they have a less...ear-rpey frequency response. I wonder if I could talk someone into letting me audition theirs.....maybe do a shootout with the Stax while I'm at it.
Now that would be a fascinating shootout! BTW didn’t mean to pour cold water on your purchase - I was only stating my personal philosophy, probably a bit too loudly as usual. If the Stax is sweet music to your ears (pun intended) don’t pay any notice to me! My choice of headphones and sound sigs are hardly the most popular either.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #2,307 of 8,271
Please please try Atticus even once. You will not be disappointed.

Oh man, your bringing me some very bad idea's. just when I thought I was complete for the coming years... though I have a Clear up for sale soon, might just check one out for the hell of it. :)

Hmm personally I don't really mind, almost all high-end cans look ridiculous on the head anyway. Me wearing an Ori would certainly be a sight to behold on the streets.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #2,308 of 8,271
Now that would be a fascinating shootout! BTW didn’t mean to pour cold water on your purchase - I was only stating my personal philosophy, probably a bit too loudly as usual. If the Stax is sweet music to your ears (pun intended) don’t pay any notice to me! My choice of headphones and sound sigs are hardly the most popular either.

It certainly would! No worries! I do agree that a headphone, ideally, would look awesome too. The Auteur with gold fixtures is, IMO perhaps the best looking can in existence (I've got a thing for steampunk and gothic aesthetics--see my custom little dot I+ gallery). You seem to like dark cans, huh? I can't handle too much bass. Maybe 3dB south of Harmann neutral at most.

I gotta say though, Harmann neutral--or is it perfectly flat? whatever Truefi delivers...you really can't beat it--or, I can't find a sound to beat it--but with a high and low shelf filter to boost 3khz+ to +2.5dB and reduce bass from about 100hz by 3dB.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #2,309 of 8,271
It certainly would! No worries! I do agree that a headphone, ideally, would look awesome too. The Auteur with gold fixtures is, IMO perhaps the best looking can in existence (I've got a thing for steampunk and gothic aesthetics--see my custom little dot I+ gallery). You seem to like dark cans, huh? I can't handle too much bass. Maybe 3dB south of Harmann neutral at most.
Hehe, beautiful the Auteur is, that’s for sure. And as for dark, I don’t consider the Elear or the LCD-3 ‘dark’, with just about the right amount of bass (I could live with a touch more of I were honest, but I’m getting used to them now), and a perfect amount of treble that is full of air and edge yet steers well short of Beyer brain dagger levels.

Then again they’re what most around here consider ‘dark’, as you say, so my taste (or hearing) is almost certainly skewed.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #2,310 of 8,271
I’ll apologize in advance b/c I know this thread isn’t about the look of other cans but I would even go so far as to say the 800s is an ugly set. They have cleats put thought into it at least and it’s probably more of a personal preference for me, but I’ve hated the 800s ever since I first saw pics. Give me exotic wood and hand made craftsmanship literally any day

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back